Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi, 328is, 911TT, 325i
ABS/ASC light on, 1999 328is

This is real head scratcher.
I have a last month of production 328is E36 (99/3). The ABS/ASC started to misbehave. The lights come on as soon as I start turning right when driving. I replaced all ABS sensors (they looked like they needed it) but the problem did not go away.
The next item on the troubleshooting list is a brake position sensor, should be mounted on the booster. Realoem shows it when I punch in my VIN (ET08584), however it is nowhere to be found in the car. The only two openings on the brake booster are for the vacuum hose and the master cylinder. (The brake booster I have in the car is 34331163561).
This car is using a standard ABS module behind the glove box, sitting on the L-Line. This module must be getting the brake position from somewhere. What am I missing?
BTW, I cannot test L-line modules, DIS doesn't see them so I am going in blind...
Any ideas?
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
You're not confusing the wheel speed sensor for the brake pad sensor, are you? Anyway, usually it's a bad wheel speed sensor or a bad ABS unit. Have you scanned the car?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-22-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:56 PM

I replaced all of the wheel speed sensors. (No I am not confusing the with pad wear sensors).
I cannot read the ABS module, it is sitting on the L-Line, none of the scanning equipment I currently have does L-Line. (Carsoft will, I hope, getting it in a few weeks)
I just don't understand why my car doesn't have the brake pedal positioning sensor. Where is the ABS module getting info about brake position readings from?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM
VP Moon-Based Operations

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Does it come on if you just let it sit there and idle?

When I was chasing down my ASC problem (which had to do with the TPS) It would eventually come on during idle. Are the screws that hold down the TPS and ASC throttle body sensor tightened down? Some times they can eventually come loose through years of vibrations from the engine.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 PM

Interestingly enough, I have also replaced the throttle positioning and ACS sensors on the throttle body. This was to cure erratic idle. The DME was complaining about the throttle body sensors. The idle is perfect now.
What I need to figure out is how come my car doesn't have the brake pedal sensor.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:06 PM
VP Moon-Based Operations

You know what don't worry about it ( mine doesn't have on either, but that's besides the point). I had a feeling about you messing with the throttle sensors, because I did the same.

I never found a concrete solution, but what I ended up doing was clearing all codes I could from my car then starting it up and letting it idle for 8-10 minutes; don't touch the gas pedal at all. Just let it idle then shut it off. I did this and my ASC has yet to come back on.

This is just a guess, but I think that the car has to relearn adaptation values for the TPS. I believe the new sensor maybe giving off a reading that the DME is not used to so it thinks something is wrong and throws the ASC off. Again, I'm just assuming, but I haven't had problems with it for a while, now.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM

I might be getting somewhere, just don't know where yet..

An ebay version of a Carsoft package (6.5, all HW, an install CD) arrived in the mail last Thursday. After installing on my old X60 (with a proper serial port in its base) I was able to communicate with a couple of modules, however the ABS/ASC was nowhere to be found.
After a lot of reading, I have opened the 20 pin connector on the cable that came in the carsoft package, moved a wire originally connected to pin 17 to pin 15 (while removing the pin 15 one). Once this mode was done I could see the ABS module, which was reporting the following errors (translated from German):
50 - Throttle valve mechanical fault
130 - Throttle positioning potentiometer

As I mentioned before, I have replaced pots on both throttle's (one connected to the actual throttle, one operated by the ASC system)
No check engine light, no idle issues since the replacement.

Is there an adaptation I need to do on the ASC throttle? I cannot find any information about this.

One important thing to mention. When no ABS/ASC lights are on, the system works well. Tested over a couple of days driving in 5" of snow.
Unfortunately, the ABS/ASC lights come on after a while resulting in no ABS/ASC.
Old 12-07-2013, 02:25 PM

After erasing the ABS/ASC errors, I drove the car all afternoon. So far so good.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 AM
VP Moon-Based Operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3 View Post
I might be getting somewhere, just don't know where yet..

An ebay version of a Carsoft package (6.5, all HW, an install CD) arrived in the mail last Thursday. After installing on my old X60 (with a proper serial port in its base) I was able to communicate with a couple of modules, however the ABS/ASC was nowhere to be found.
After a lot of reading, I have opened the 20 pin connector on the cable that came in the carsoft package, moved a wire originally connected to pin 17 to pin 15 (while removing the pin 15 one). Once this mode was done I could see the ABS module, which was reporting the following errors (translated from German):
50 - Throttle valve mechanical fault
130 - Throttle positioning potentiometer

As I mentioned before, I have replaced pots on both throttle's (one connected to the actual throttle, one operated by the ASC system)
No check engine light, no idle issues since the replacement.

Is there an adaptation I need to do on the ASC throttle? I cannot find any information about this.

One important thing to mention. When no ABS/ASC lights are on, the system works well. Tested over a couple of days driving in 5" of snow.
Unfortunately, the ABS/ASC lights come on after a while resulting in no ABS/ASC.
Yes these were the same codes I had and after clearing them they would come back on after a week or so of driving.

I originally read about the "idle for 10 min" from a thread about CAIs. Basically, it said to do this to allow the DME to adjust to the new airflow etc. TPSs regulate airflow, so I decided to try it out to get rid of my ASC light. At least it made sense to me and it worked.

Maybe it was a fluke, but since it only took 10 min of my time, it really couldn't hurt.