Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-01-2004, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0
x5 wheels help

hi guys.
i am new in the forum.i own an x5 3.oltr 2004 model.
i am interesting to put in my car 20"wheels.
i would like please if somebody knows to inform me if i put this wheels what it will be with the perfomance of the car, i mean if i will see big difference in the road, if it will cut from the performance many ps and the car drives slower.
i also would like to know how is the name of the plastic flares that they fit in the rear fenders and if after i put 20'' wheels i neede it definately.
thank for your time guys
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Excellent choice of rims. The 20" look great on the X5. They are a slight bit heaver than the stock rims that come on the 3.0i, but you shouldn't notice much difference in acceleration - but you will experience a huge performance increase in handling and traction (non-snow or ice of course)

If you are thinking about getting non-OEM rims, check out http://x5world.net/repli_wheels.htm. There is other good wheel information in the BODY, WHEELS & STYLING section of http://x5world.net

Good luck with your decision

Jeff
Old 10-01-2004, 11:32 PM

thanks for your reply.
i can not decide which wheel design it will be better for my x5.i am between the 4.6 and 4.8 design wheel.
i also wonder if after installation the wheel comes a little bit outside of the fender.in this case i do not know what to do.i have see some x5 and they have in the rear fenders some plastic flaresbut i do not know what is their name ,how much cost and were to find it.
i leave in greece and here nobody knows anything about the car and all tha parts are very expensive.
i install in my lights a xenon conversion kit(not bmw) but aftermarket and it works perfect.the only problem is that in my panel sometimes appears that i have burn the lamps but the lamps still working.
thanks for your time guys
Old 10-02-2004, 02:10 AM
PR02ZAC do u need a lift

Send a message via Skype™ to swindonhost
Mein Auto: X5 2003 3.0D / others mad
Quote:
Originally Posted by takisk
thanks for your reply.
i also wonder if after installation the wheel comes a little bit outside of the fender.in this case i do not know what to do.i have see some x5 and they have in the rear fenders some plastic flaresbut i do not know what is their name ,how much cost and were to find it.
You could try contacting these guys, they have sold x5 fender flares in the past
http://www.4x4x4.com/index.html

I have 21" wheels and whilst the ride is harsher than standard, the handling is fantastic.
As to performance, I have not noticed any loss.
2003- X5, 3.0D All options except, Adjustable rear seats and moving cargo platform.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:25 AM
Member of the ® club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
thanks for your reply.
i can not decide which wheel design it will be better for my x5.i am between the 4.6 and 4.8 design wheel.
i leave in greece and here nobody knows anything about the car and all tha parts are very expensive.
i install in my lights a xenon conversion kit(not bmw) but aftermarket and it works perfect.the only problem is that in my panel sometimes appears that i have burn the lamps but the lamps still working.
thanks for your time guys
As for wheel design, I currently prefer the 4.6is style, but the 4.8is is slowly growing on me. It's strickly a personal decision, so go with what you like best.

The wheels won't come outside the well, but the fender flares do make the rear end look more beefy and mean. I would only suggest getting the flares if you are also going to do the 4.6is/4.8is rear bumper as well. Here's the part numbers for the rear flares:

Wheel Arch
Left 51-71-7-049-869
Right -870

If you have the alluminum running boards
then it is
Left 51-71-7-051-035
Right -036

Then to complete the trim you need part Numbers
Left 51-12-7-076-919
Right -920
Here's some information and pics of Ed's X5 with the flares that may be helpful:

http://x5world.net/triplex5bodykit.htm
Old 10-03-2004, 01:59 AM

thank you very much for your help.it is very important because as i say and before here in greece nobody knows anything about x5.
i have order the 4.6 is rear add on apoiler but i did not order the front because i am not sure if i like it.i wplan to order tomorrow the 4,8 20'' wheels and after i finish it i will send some photos.
did anybody knows about the aftermarket xenon lights why my car appears in my board that the lamps are burn, and the lights work perfect .
Old 10-03-2004, 02:11 AM

i search to some sites to find the bmw codes for the fender plastics but ican not find it.
did you have some address to suggest me.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:34 AM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: '04 X5 4.4i & E320 4Matic
Quote:
thank you very much for your help.it is very important because as i say and before here in greece nobody knows anything about x5.
i have order the 4.6 is rear add on apoiler but i did not order the front because i am not sure if i like it.i wplan to order tomorrow the 4,8 20'' wheels and after i finish it i will send some photos.
did anybody knows about the aftermarket xenon lights why my car appears in my board that the lamps are burn, and the lights work perfect .
Most people would prefer 4.6 over 4.8 wheels but it's great that you're going with the 4.8 rims, as this would set your X5 apart from many other x5ers who have upgraded to style 87 wheels. In any case you can't go wrong with either style.

Re. body kit, you should go for the front AND rear spoiler or not at all. Doesn't look good with only one w/o the other, imo.

Good luck!