Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328xi
07 328xi overheating/powerloss (my first bmw)

I bought a used used 2007 328xi (110k miles) two weeks ago today. This is my first BMW and I am so proud of it. Today I was driving when an oragne temperature signal accompanied by a ding and an exclamition point inside a triangle apeared. Very quickly, almost instantly, the temperature symbol turned red, I had a loss of power I could only coast nothing would happen when I hit the gas it just idled, and the heat started blowing. Old air. I quickly turned onto a side street turned on my hazards and shut of my engine. The warning symbols stayed while I let the vehicle cool off for about 5 minutes. I restarted the car and everything went away Instantly like nothing even happened. I drove it 2 miles (it drove perfectly fine) to an advance autoparts to let it cool down to check the coolant. Whdn I opened the hood it looked like coolant had sprayed out of the resivouer a little. Coolant level was fine. I opened the cap for the oil on top of the engine and it seemed like a light smoke or steam was coming out, keep in mind it was like 26f and snowing today. I didn't want to risk it so I called the dealership to discuss whaf they planned on doing about this since I have only had it 2 weeks. They told me to take it to Autobahn, a local german car mechanic to have them look at it before we can discuss what needs to be done. Not wanting to risk anything I had it towed there instead of drive it 20 miles. It is saturday and they don't open till monday. Do any of you have any idea of what could cause all this nonsense? I have read some threads and am getting nervous because multiple people have said once a BMW overheats you are almost guaranteed eng8ne damage or even loss. Sorry if there is already threads about this. I just wanted my version of what happened to me on here.
Ads by Google
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernopolis View Post
I bought a used used 2007 328xi (110k miles) two weeks ago today. This is my first BMW and I am so proud of it. Today I was driving when an oragne temperature signal accompanied by a ding and an exclamition point inside a triangle apeared. Very quickly, almost instantly, the temperature symbol turned red, I had a loss of power I could only coast nothing would happen when I hit the gas it just idled, and the heat started blowing. Old air. I quickly turned onto a side street turned on my hazards and shut of my engine. The warning symbols stayed while I let the vehicle cool off for about 5 minutes. I restarted the car and everything went away Instantly like nothing even happened. I drove it 2 miles (it drove perfectly fine) to an advance autoparts to let it cool down to check the coolant. Whdn I opened the hood it looked like coolant had sprayed out of the resivouer a little. Coolant level was fine. I opened the cap for the oil on top of the engine and it seemed like a light smoke or steam was coming out, keep in mind it was like 26f and snowing today. I didn't want to risk it so I called the dealership to discuss whaf they planned on doing about this since I have only had it 2 weeks. They told me to take it to Autobahn, a local german car mechanic to have them look at it before we can discuss what needs to be done. Not wanting to risk anything I had it towed there instead of drive it 20 miles. It is saturday and they don't open till monday. Do any of you have any idea of what could cause all this nonsense? I have read some threads and am getting nervous because multiple people have said once a BMW overheats you are almost guaranteed eng8ne damage or even loss. Sorry if there is already threads about this. I just wanted my version of what happened to me on here.
Electric water pump and thermostat failure.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
Learn how to access the hidden menu, and that will give you a hint of what's going on.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
Look up the codes, you'll more than likely see water pump failure codes.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328I E90
I am having the same problem on my bmw 07 328i just bought it used also congrats on your new purchase and it seems to me that from what i been reading its the electric water pump and thermostat. It seems pretty common for this car. Also I wanna add everyone does seem to say once it over heats the engine is ruined and all but i feel as though that cant be not saying its not true but personally in your case i think you should be fine on the engine.

p.s I also have been driving mine like this for week now heheheh and engine seems stronger than ever only did this cause i can exploit my full coverage warranty if anything is to happen just say im a test dummy for this.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Well you did purchase a used car if you didnt get an extended warranty or the dealer gave you a 30 day warranty then I hate to tell you but the dealership Is not going to do anything, that why the put that sticker in the window,, AS IS NO Warranty, and you will be on your own, so good luck
Old 11-24-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Water pump failure. Tstat is most likely fine but its replaced with the pump as preventative maintenance. Since you're already replacing the pump (the Tstat is bolted to the water pump), its a no brained to replace at the same time.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-26-2013, 03:27 AM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I should find out today what is going on with it from the mechanic. The dealer has been keeping in contact with me and the mechanic which is keeping me optimistic that they will help out. They are even putting me in a loaner vehicle today until the problem is fixed
Old 12-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 328I E90
Thumbs up bimmer info

hey i got my problem fixed and it was the alternator so check into that anyone having this problem threw me for a loop but it sounds right now i think about it because it is a ELECTRIC WATER PUMP and from what i heard and know the water pump are real picky about power that's why sometimes it could just be the battery so was a 600 dollar fix but warranty fixed it for me hope this helps bro
Old 04-04-2014, 09:38 AM

Sorry it took so long to reply. It was the water pump. They had to replace both the water pump and thermostat. The total came out to $1000. Luckily since I had the vehicle for such a short time the dealer agreed to pay half! Thanks to every one who replied this is an awesome community.