Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i
335i HPFP Question

First time poster here, just lookingf or advice. Here's the situation.
07 335i 78k miles

Brake and dsc lights came on 2 weeks ago intermittently.

Engine malfunction message two days ago.

Rough idle when cold (fist start of the day) but then seems fine.

Took it in to a euro shop and they did diagnostic and came up with a bad throttle body. Also warned me that the brake and dsc light usually light up during this problem but there could be a chance that after the TB install, the brake and dsc could be in fact be a seperate issue but couldn't know until after TB install.

I reluctantly gave the nod for the $986 throttle body replacement.

Engine now idles fine and now no engine malfunction message, but after repair, brake and dsc lights still on. They let me know it would be approx 2k for a abs hydronic pump unit.

My question ... Is it safe to drive with this issue?

Thanks sorry for the novel.

Last edited by BimmerLM; 11-24-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLM View Post
...Engine now idles fine and now no engine malfunction message, but after repair, brake and dsc lights still on. They let me know it would be approx 2k for a abs hydronic pump unit.

My question ... Is it safe to drive with this issue?
You may be able to have the control module rebuilt for a significant cheaper repair; search around for the subject of ABS control module.

It's safe, if you remember you don't have ABS or DSC. Brakes should work fine.

I think you mean "hydraulic" rather than hydronic.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the insight...

Yes I did mean hydraulic pump.

Also tried to change title of post from HPFP to something better but couldn't seem to change it.

Anyway, thank you for your reply. I'll google around.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:27 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
I am NOT an expert, but if the car seems to run fine with simply a rougher idle when cold right at the first start of the day... I'd be curious if it was simply your battery saying "replace me". Are you on original battery? For the idle, again not an expert here, but maybe it could be the coking of your intake valves, google "walnut shell blasting" for more info, many here have had that done, and it will be in my perhaps relatively near future.

Other than that, Floyd knows 100x more than I do about cars.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM

The battery is about a year old.

As stated, that issue is good now (after throttle body replacement).

My main concerns now are 3 lights on the dash...and a cramp in my leg with no cruise control.

Main reason for posting to the forum is to
A) see if it was safe (mechanically) to drive with the Brake,dsc, lights on -and wouldn't cause more damage.

and B) see if there were any folks who had the same experience and a better alternative to a 2k replacement regarding the hydraulic pump.

Thanks to all!