Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 550GT
Questions and Observations

1. The scale on the nav map display seems to be horribly wrong. I used to be a practicing geologist and make maps for a living and I can tell you something is not right.

2. What in terms of software do I need to get upgraded? Nav is upgraded but anything else?

3. How do I determine if I have bmw apps. I am going to wait until after the first of the year and get the iPhone 5 dock for the center consol.

4. How do I register the car to my self I.e. Associate it with my email address so I can send google maps to it. Last 5 series they help me at the dealership.

5. Going for a service tomorrow with 35k on the odo. Should I have anything done. Computer is telling me 11k before service.

Thanks all.

Scott
Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Having picked up my vehicle in Germany, I will tell you that the maps there were spot on.

I asked, and never got an answer from corporate, either in the USA, nor Germany when I asked about it being off here. Personally, I think that the nav program is not keyed to the same datum/spheroid as the map data. This could easily be why things don't register properly. I've learned to ignore the distance warnings. I will say that while on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, on some back roads, when I finally turned onto a road that was in the database, I was able to drive for about 1/2-mile before it moved to 'keep on road' logic - basically, the car's indicated trail was paralleling the actual road, then jumped over after awhile to be on the road. This can make it messy if there are roads close to each other! For what they charge for the thing, I think they failed. Knowing it worked fine in Europe, just makes it more annoying. When you have a route active, it will show you the curves in the road (not just the turns)...in Germany, they were spot on...start a curve, the arrow would precede it by just enough...same when it straightened out...it would go back to straight ahead just before the curve ended. It's pretty useless here.

I do not know if the base map logic has been updated...last time I asked, there had been no changes. If you do find they've resolved this, let me know!

The map database you can update yourself...there are several threads on how to do this. The least expensive way is to download the database, and buy a key (about $50 or so). The instructions are pretty straightforward...get the proper files on a USB drive, slap it into the port in the glovebox, enter the code when asked, then update the data to the next disk until done. You can buy the map data from an online dealer (branded BMW) on a 32G usb drive, for around $50 if you dont' want to deal with downloading the 23G or so of data and shuffling drives in and out. The first edition of the 2014 maps has been out for about a month.

If the vehicle is still under warranty, the dealer should be able to transfer the stuff to you. If not, you may need to call them yourself. Mine was new to me, not a used vehicle, so I do not know the procedure.

There are things that should be serviced based on time (things like the brake fluid, coolant, etc.) and others based on miles. Unless you want to pay for it, the service advisor will tell you what will be done for free. My dealer will do a free oil change at 12-months, regardless of mileage, if that hadn't triggered it. Don't know if that's a corporate thing, or just my dealer.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
To send locations to your car, you need to setup a BMW Assist account. Call them during business hours and they can get you setup: (888) 333-6118

You will need the VIN of the car and an email account.

As for BMW Apps, try putting your VIN into one of those (free) VIN search websites:
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

BMW Assist can do it as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
Soon you will have to be a member of Google to use the maps to car, but as for now you do not. Create your trip to points A, B, C, D or just A and B, Place the Arrow over the A rick click mouse. On the POP up Click on MORE bottom right then down to send. Now another pop up look for CAR on left select BMW.
Then your car phone number and maps send.
Good luck
Old 11-28-2013, 02:54 PM
Retired, Independent Cons

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535I GT M-Sport
As to your question about maps, I never noticed. We did buy a GPS to take with us on out of town trips. Let me make this short. When rented in car GPS rent would run $15. a day and after two weeks almost $400 dollars. Now we take about nine trips per year to places all over the USA. So we now have our own GPS and we soon noticed the BMW was tracking two MILES slower than the GPS or the GPS was two MPH faster. I did enjoy the once loved ability of going to Google maps and planning a trips and making roadway selections and changes. YES, I could make road changes and when I sent the created Google map to my BMW my roads changes were there and fun to drive. Now Because of some problems after an install, I have to call BMW service for a track and 90% of the time it is never the roadway I want to drive. As for now I have nothing, no maps, no messages and no selected planed out road trips. OH well, hey the car drives well. My wife's BMW, has her messages appearing from Iphone directly into BMW messaging in her vehicle and the car reads to her the posted messages.

Last edited by HLH535I; 11-29-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM

A few more observations about the 550 GT and I will post some pics soon.

1. Need to be able to extend the visor when deployed to the side windows.
2. Still miss unlock button on the door.
3. Need much larger gas tank...or lighter foot.

The 550 GT motor is mesmerizing. The rush of acceleration is electric.

Lane departure, blind spot and night vision are a waste of money.

Wish I had adaptive cruise control instead.

Heads up display is quite useful.

iDrive is great and highly underrated.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Adaptive Cruise control with stop & go plus lane departure are a great combination for reducing stress on the highway. The LD gives you notice of any drift caused by distraction and the stop & go will detect the traffic slowdown or stop as fast as you, sooner if you are distracted. The highways here in SoFla are treacherous, I love the combo of the two features.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:36 PM

I can can certainly understand the arguments. I do wish I had adaptive cruise control. Had it on my Ford Taurus SHO. Very nice. The newest iterations that allow you to limp on traffic are very appealing. I am picking up a 2012 X5 V8 with the M Sport Package for my wife on Friday. Her Yukon XL has 108k miles on it and she really likes my GT. The X5 has third row, ventilated seats, premium as well as the M Sport. Wish it had the soft close doors and premium seats but oh well. Good deal. 23k miles. White with tan interior. Will post pics of the two cars.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:53 PM

I'd like to see those photos. Feel free to add them to my thread "I parked next to a little car" where I collect photos of my GT and other BMWs.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 AM

I am getting to the pics. I promised my wife I would have it detailed. One general observation and I would never tell my wife this is that the build quality of my GT is so much better. I love the raw and raucous feel of the v8 x5 but my GT is such a more refined and overall better ride that I am truly surprised at the delta. No regrets on the X5 mind you.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:51 PM

It's likely that the ride quality stems from the 'bones'...the GT is built off their most expensive chassis. As things progress, though, the chassis sharing is getting more extensive.

When CFR gets introduced for more parts, it could be a major change in dynamics.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
The X5 M has a wonderfully aggressive look. It is hard to take the center of gravity down to where the GT operates. The truth of the matter is that many of us have owned SUV's at some point over the last decade. I have no doubt that the X5 M handles like an M roadster compared to a Tahoe or an Expedition. Those M wheels usually give the X5 an out of this world lunar rover look. Best of luck.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:47 PM

I rides great, growls and overall sounds like a muscle car. Wifey already nicked a rim. After we had a 1/2, literally, hour discussion on the topic and the dangers. No luck but thanks for the wishes.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
Regarding the OP's question about the scale of the maps being way off. I think what the scale means - 0.25 mls, 800ft, etc. - is that the circle surrounding the arrow representing you on the map has a radius of that scale. So, when you choose 2.5 mls, for example, everything in the circle is within 2.5 miles of you. I use this feature often to estimate the distance to a gas station ahead. I scroll through the scales until the gas station is within the circle, the I know about how far ahead it is. Annoyingly, for no obvious reason, some POI's disappear at some scales. This technique only seems to work up to the 2.5 mile scale.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-29-2014, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 5 Series 330d GT
So bit random but I'm killing time so will throw my hat into this conversation.

I got a 2014 530d GT. With just about every option you can get. Now I avoided x-drive as I just have no need for it, but could see its benefits. I also avoided the 4 wheel steering, as again the cost was not worth what I would get from it, but now I'm not 100% sure and think I would pay for it. So many tight corners and I swear cars are bigger and parking spots are smaller.

Driving Assistant Plus - massive thumbs up (even if Australia does not allow the self-drive function and I only get the stop and go) P.S. See other posts for my crappy experience buying a new car.

I have lock and unlock on the door with comfort access .
Watch out if you get the M-pack as you lose the foot opener on the rear. Also I think you lose the blind spot detection.
Comfort Access was a must have for me, hate having to press the dam key or find it – I can’t waste those few seconds…LOL. If it’s in my wife’s hand bag forgot it, it’s lost forever.

comfort seats, nice but could have gone without. Will be a person thing. One point here in Australia they stung me for Comfort Access seats and Lumbar Support. I heard that in the US this is not needed. Who knows just another way to get more money out of me.
Would like to know if anyone got the massage function…I just saw that as a major will go wrong and cost me thousands to repair item I would not use that much.

TV function – not for what that they want to charge. And I was glad I didn’t as it was only after I learnt that you could watch videos on the professional screen by default. Stupid salesperson told me you couldn’t. Jezz I really hate knowing he got a commission from me. But I feel better knowing I gave him a 1/5 in the BMW survey, and followed up with a 1 page rant on why he should be fired.

DAB - Really nice but I was let down that our coverage in AUS is metro only. really annoying as I wanted it for country drives.

Lane departure - is a gentle reminder, OK you can live without it. let’s face it if they were to do this properly it would stop the car if you really drifted out and there was no response from the wheel, but as we got none of that its OK but if you want to save money you could cut this out.

Blind spot detection was better on my Mazda, but it works and you feel the steering wheel more than you see the side mirror triangle warning.

Night vision - I go the pedestrian recognition and spot light option. Bit of a letdown. Not that accurate and I have not had the car long enough to see if it really will work and stop the car if I am about to hit someone. But if it does then hell it was well worth it. The fact that you need to press a button to see the screen and leave it on is a bit weird. I’m not even sure if its active if I have the screen off. Goes to show how much the salesman told me. Even the manual is not clear. Perhaps someone can tell me.

Seat heating – I got it, have not used it yet, and guess I could do without it. It does not get that cold. But is great if you have a sore back.

Climate Comfort windscreen – must have for Australia if you park outside or drive a lot. Really does keep the car a lot cooler and I’m guessing a lot safer for you – just make sure your insurance covers that we well.

Surround View – took me a while to get to know how to use it properly but now I love it.

Adaptive Drive – I read someone in a forum who said it’s a must have for a GT, due to the size and weight. As I have never driven one without it, I guess I can’t really comment. I was expecting something better, but perhaps I was thinking of hydraulic suspension across all 4 wheels.

Adaptive headlights – Now this is some cool tech. I do a few 3-4 hour drives along a coastal road and some country driving. Now I do it all at night. This is like a dam Christmas tree going off. OK I’m geeking gout here but frig I love this option. It’s just so cool to see the lights adapting all the time.

Harman/Kardon Speaker System – nice. Was really glad I did not settle on the standard sound system. I would have felt like I lost out there. I’m sure people who get the B&O system are smiling and thinking you have no idea what sound it until you have a B&O. but sadly I did not have $12,000 extra to spend.

iPad holders - for kids. Nice but hell I hope the seat belts stop them before their heads hit the iPads. for my money they stick out too far. They are OK, but as it took 6 months for my car to arrive I had updated ipad's by then and had to put the older ones back in.

Samsung S4 phone clip in holder - Would have been good, but again I upgraded 3 days before I took delivery to the S5, so never got to use it.

In car internet - I ordered it but found out its only 3G, we have mostly 4G, so although good I found my dealer had a just as good stand-a-lone solution that I stuck in the trunk, and powered via the lighter socket.

Wow OK I did have some time to kill... I'll stop now.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:50 PM

In the USA, the comfort seats come with the motors - they only work on the seat cushion, and aren't like that in some other vehicles that also have them in the back. It helps on long distances not so much as a massage, but to help prevent circulation issues. It's sort of a side to side thing that runs front to back along one side, then does it on the other. The main reason I bought the option was for the adjustable thigh support - it helps when you're taller than average.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:20 PM

I'll throw in on some of 2014 5GT's comments because they're good stuff:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014-5gt View Post
I also avoided the 4 wheel steering, as again the cost was not worth what I would get from it, but now I'm not 100% sure and think I would pay for it. So many tight corners and I swear cars are bigger and parking spots are smaller.

I have it and love it. The slow speed turning radius is amazing. The dynamics at speed are hard for me to compare with only a couple of days in a GT without it and no aggressive driving with that car. If you need justification for the price, just convince yourself that the rear tire wear will be better since the back tires aren't getting dragged around as much as they would in a car without it. (That's probably not enough to make a difference, but I'm trying to help with the self-delusion, if you need it).

I have lock and unlock on the door with comfort access .

Comfort Access was a must have for me, hate having to press the dam key or find it – I can't waste those few seconds….LOL. If it's in my wife's hand bag forgot it, it's lost forever.
One thing that may be a part of the Comfort Access or not, I'm not sure, but if you touch any outside door handle on the little ridges, for a moment, the doors will lock. This is a nice touch and convenient. It won't lock if the key fob is still in the car.

comfort seats, nice but could have gone without. Will be a person thing. One point here in Australia they stung me for Comfort Access seats and Lumbar Support. I heard that in the US this is not needed. Who knows just another way to get more money out of me.
Would like to know if anyone got the massage function….I just saw that as a major will go wrong and cost me thousands to repair item I would not use that much.

This is the only one I really disagree on. These seats are superb. The butt "massage" function, as noted in another reply is just a raised portion of the seat bottom that moves around very slowly. You actually forget it's happening after a while. However, the difference in comfort for a tall guy like me is amazing. I usually can't ride for more than 1.5 hours without stopping for a stretch break - butt cheek/hip bone pressure, stiff knees, etc. But with the pressure point "massage" function, the longer thigh support, the adjustable side bolsters, the seat ventilation, etc., I can go 4+ hours in this car between stops. So, I justify the cost on savings in coffee and candy that I would have spent on more frequent stops.

Lane departure - is a gentle reminder, OK you can live without it. let's face it if they were to do this properly it would stop the car if you really drifted out and there was no response from the wheel, but as we got none of that its OK but if you want to save money you could cut this out.

Agreed, not a big deal, but combined with Adaptive Cruise control, high beam assistant, and the super-comfort mode of the Adaptive Drive suspension, this makes highway travel SO much more relaxed.

Seat heating – I got it, have not used it yet, and guess I could do without it. It does not get that cold. But is great if you have a sore back.

When it's cold, it's awesome. This is standard in a Hyundai, so come on, why is this even an option?

Surround View – took me a while to get to know how to use it properly but now I love it.
Agreed. Love it. Love it. Love it. And, if you use it, it will pay for itself the first time you don't ruin a wheel when parking next to a curb.

Adaptive Drive – I read someone in a forum who said it's a must have for a GT, due to the size and weight. As I have never driven one without it, I guess I can't really comment. I was expecting something better, but perhaps I was thinking of hydraulic suspension across all 4 wheels.
Worth every penny. The comfort mode is noticeably more luxurious than a GT without it. The difference is the modes (Sport+, Sport, Normal, Comfort) is quite significant and seems more noticeable that a GT without it.

Adaptive headlights – Now this is some cool tech. I do a few 3-4 hour drives along a coastal road and some country driving. Now I do it all at night. This is like a dam Christmas tree going off. OK I'm geeking gout here but frig I love this option. It's just so cool to see the lights adapting all the time.
Agreed. Completely fantastic.

Rear Comfort Seats with seat heating - I recommend. The rear seats are almost as good as the front seats and score you major points with the in-laws when you take everyone out to dinner. You lose the center seat position for a fixed console, but it has a gigantic cubby hole in it - useful concealing big stuff like your sawed-off shotgun (remember to remove it before the in-laws get in). The only odd thing is that BMW leaves the place where the center arm rest used to be looking like the arm-rest is folded down. It's just a black, square hole.

HUD - almost forgot this one. Love it, but it sure is annoying that you can't see it with polarized sunglasses on. I really hate that.

Last edited by chemlite; 04-30-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM

FWIW, you can get rear seat heating without losing the center position with the console, but it is not as complete a package as if you do. Someone had said (I haven't looked) that they no longer offer that in the USA as an option. Rear seat heating, though, is available, and is wonderful when getting into a cold car for anyone involved.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:32 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Chemlite, I like the way you posted your reply...did you simply change the font color and add your text within the quote?

I wish we had surround view as we have performed wheel customization on at least three occasions already

The one option I was unwilling to compromise on was the ventilated seats since we routinely exceed 100F in the summer (last summer had 1month+ where the temperature stayed above 100 until 9pm most nights). That being said the Comfort Seats w/ Nappa leather are the best feature for making this a long road trip vehicle. As others have stated the massaging feature makes for amazing saddle time.

I would like to add the wonderful heated steering wheel in the cold weather package. Prior to this winter (unseasonably cold) I would never have thought the cost was justifiable, but it is so nice to get into your car and in less time than your heat kicks on your hands are already warm...heaven!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:42 PM

Easy Breezy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Chemlite, I like the way you posted your reply...did you simply change the font color and add your text within the quote?
Yes, that's it. Just hit the quote button at the bottom of the message you want to quote, then use the font color, bold, etc. I just edited out the parts of the original post that I didn't want to comment about. Gotta keep the /QUOTE html code at the end of the reply. Can't do it on the Bimmerfest app tho.

I would like to add the wonderful heated steering wheel in the cold weather package. Prior to this winter (unseasonably cold) I would never have thought the cost was justifiable, but it is so nice to get into your car and in less time than your heat kicks on your hands are already warm...heaven!

The key is getting in the habit of remembering to turn it on. I wish there was a setting for the seat and the wheel that would turn them on below a certain temperature. Seems like such an easy thing to do.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 PM

I had a couple of Saabs way back in the 80's, and they automatically turned the seat heaters on and the rear window defroster based on the outside temp when the car started. They turned off once the car got warm, but you could turn them on again, if needed at any time. The heated steering wheel is nice, but I don't use it all that much even though we did have a nasty winter this year. Maybe, if the car wasn't parked in a warm garage, it would get used more often.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Absolutely. Our Michigan winter was brutal, and yet most mornings I drove to the office with no need for gloves! The wife was totally jealous.