Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-25-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Rusty? Ya never know unless ya ask

A little less than a month ago, I purchased a 10m old 335xi...Love this damn car. Lusted after it for a while (the model, not THIS particular ride), and finally opportunity met ability.

that said, I'm still learning it. The entertainment system, the nav, the way it drives in the snow, the way it corners. The sounds it makes and maybe shouldn't make.

When I was washing it the other day, cleaning the wheels I noticed the attached pic. Seems a little early in the life of a vehicle to be experiencing rust...Wondering it this is something I should be concerned with.

This also got me thinking of a sound I hear when I get out of my car. I'm 6' 200 lbs...when I get out of the car I hear a a "springy" noise from the rear. I know car is rising up when I get out, but I don't recall hearing this noise on any other car I've owned.

These 2 things got me curious enuff to come here and ask people who know.

Advertisement
Old 11-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Rusty? Ya never know unless ya ask

Looks like rust on your rotor. That's easily remedied when you replace your rotors. The rotors obviously won't have have anything to do with the squeaky suspension though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Car only 10 months old you said. I wouldn't keep looking at that rust until rotor swap time. No sir. Pull off wheel. Clean with scrubber of your choice. Wash off residue. Heat with hair dryer to evaporate all the water off and paint that sucker with some gray rustoleum. The idea is to paint it cast iron color so flat silver works too. I also did the clips on the caliper as they were looking rusty too. My car had a short beginning of life in Pennsylvania so it got a taste of salt. Painted em' within a couple weeks of arrival to south Texas and haven't seen the ugly rust since. I hope you understand that i mean to paint the area inboard of where breakes engage rotor. I did the hub surface too. Let dry an hour or twoo before putting wheel back on.

On the other one: If i'm on any sort of incline an put the car in park while keeping foot on brake pedal. I also apply the E-brake while foot still on brake pedal. Then, i lift foot off and hear a short squeak. Very small roll happening in the brakes to find equilibrium. Does this sound like what you are hearing?

Last edited by BB_cuda; 11-25-2013 at 06:36 PM. Reason: always poor spelling
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchdut View Post
This also got me thinking of a sound I hear when I get out of my car. I'm 6' 200 lbs...when I get out of the car I hear a a "springy" noise from the rear. I know car is rising up when I get out, but I don't recall hearing this noise on any other car I've owned.
That's a normal BMW sound. It's caused by the parking brake assembly, which is inside the hats of the rear brake rotors, shifting slightly when you unweight the vehicle. Setting the parking brake while the car is still rolling slightly usually prevents it, if it bothers you.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Rusty ratty rotors!

Sure they look bad, especially if you have wheels with large openings.You can paint them with a cold galvanized paint or a high temperature engine paint. Rotors take abuse in normal driving, more in snow, salt, freezing temps, gravel roads etc.
Mikey
Old 11-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
Thanks for all the info guys...Everything said here applies to me. The car lived for a while in North Carolina (I believe...certainly someplace much closer to the ocean that I am here in CO). The "springy" sound I hear is indeed more pronounced when I get out in my driveway, which has an pretty good incline to it (tho I do hear it on level surfaces as well).

Thanks again for all the input. I'm sure I'll be back for more. I hope to hold onto this one for a while.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
While the rust may be unattractive it is harmless surface rust, which is very common on such parts.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
If my ebrake is on it does that when I get out of my e92.
Try not setting the ebrake once and see if that's the culprit.

My 07 only had 23k on it and I have similar rust also.
Figured when I get it on stands I'll take care of that.