Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
535i sedan wheels on GT?

I'm about to buy a lease returned 2010 GT from a used car lot.
It has 19" wheels on it.
The dealer also has a 2012 535i with nice black 20" M Sport wheels.
The dealer said he'd let me swap out the wheels and tires for an extra $600.
Might seem a little pricey, but the tires will have less use and the black will match the GT perfect.
So the quick question is, does anyone see a problem with this? Just want to make sure before I pull the trigger. I think I read that the GT wheels are better replaced with the 7 series vs the 5 series sedans but the dealer does not have any 7 series for sale.
Ads by Google
Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
From what I'm told, since the GT is built on the 7-series chassis, and the offsets and maybe even the bolt patter, are likely different, I do not think that they'll fit properly from a 5-series sedan. Talk to the service department, not a salesman, to verify.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 AM
figuring out my iDrive

Mein Auto: '11 535 GT xDrive
Offset is certainly an issue. My tire guy had to send back rims that fit an F10 but didn't clear the brake assembly on mine.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
535i sedan wheels on GT?

20 inch tires are optional on the GT but a certain size is recommended. Google its specs and get the exact, full wheel description (beyond the diameter alone) for the 5M and for the GT and compare them. It may well be that the difference is such that jad's statement suggesting incompatibility is correct.

If they are compatible, and you see what BMW wheel sets cost, $600 to swap would seem to be reasonable.

Enjoy the GT and be sure to post pics for the rest of the GT bretheren.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-26-2013, 12:18 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Others have tried, and generally failed...wheels are not that generic. Some aftermarket ones come with various spacers to make them fit various vehicles, but the basic configuration has to be correct for even that to work.

The big things on wheels are: width, diameter, bolt pattern, hub diameter, and offset. If you want to maintain the vehicle's handling (not have the tire self-destruct if you hit a bump or turn to max lock), and physically fit and clear all of the suspension and brake components, you have to stick within certain ranges. Then, the rolling diameter of the whole assembly must be within specs or the speedometer/odometer and vehicle's stability control and anti-locking brake controller may give you grief.

It is certainly possible to use an aftermarket wheel and a non-BMW OEM tire on the vehicle (I have a set of aftermarket wheels and winter tires on mine now), but you need to play by the rules if you want it to be safe and fully functional - pretty much, stay within one of the stock tire sizes (or at least rolling diameter) and get a wheel that will allow you to hit a bump and turn without the stuff hitting something on the vehicle. The GT comes from the factory with either 18, 19, or 20" packages. Some have swapped to 21 or 22" (unless it's just to look at or drive on a track, personally, I think it is foolish!), so they have found combinations that worked.

tHE 5 SEDAN AND THE gt ARE NOT BUILT IN THE SAME FACTORY, NOR DO THEY USE THE SAME BASIC SERIES CHASSIS.

This is by no means a definitive spec, but I think it's correct for the F07 http://www.wheel-fitment.com/car/BMW...(2009%20-%20)/ Depends on the exact model and year of production whether the 535's will fit...earlier ones came with an offset of 20mm, rather than the 30mm needed on the GT.

So, I guess it's a maybe - it's not only the wheel size, but the tire size that's important.

Last edited by jadnashuanh; 11-26-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
Definitely need 7 series or GT specific OEM wheels... GT is indeed on 7 series wheelbase and as such, it has different wheel fitment than the f10... Get a part number for the wheels and call into your local BMW dealer's parts depart. ALSO, be sure to verify that TPS are compatible. Given that yours is a 2010, it probably uses Gen2 sensors, different from my late 2011 production 550 which use Gen3 sensors. Even if you find a set of 7 series wheels that you like, verify that the TPS will work with your GT. TPS don't come cheap, BMW will charge you $500 to install the right ones if you end up with a set that aren't compatible. Good luck!
Old 12-03-2013, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT
thanks for all the replies.
i ended up buying the car, but passed on the wheels.