Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-25-2013, 03:52 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW
Mishimoto 335i Intercooler Testing!

The engineers at Mishimoto have been busy testing one of our latest products, the 335i performance intercooler. We dyno tested this intercooler multiple times, performing 4th gear, and 1st-4th gear pulls.

We tested several different core configurations to find the most optimal core for these cars. The final result was a 22% thicker core, with a 35 degree reduction in AITs, and a gain of 21hp and 24tq!

Check out the engineering report for the full write-up.
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/yhst-...ringreport.pdf

Let us know your questions and comments below.

Thanks,
Tyler
Advertisement
Old 11-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Why was there a 20 degree difference in inlet temperatures between the stock intercooler and yours? Your outlet temperature is lower, but so was your inlet temperature. It makes it difficult to judge the effectiveness of your intercooler.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Yea according to your little graph, the outlet temperature in relation to the inlet temperature is nearly the same between the stock intercooler and your aftermarket one. If the case truly is that the runs done with your aftermarket intercooler were done with lower intake temps, that also could negate the gains that you're claiming. A run done with a 20 degree lower intake temp with the stock intercooler could very well make a decent amount more power than one with higher temps. Is the higher intake temp due the piping leading up to the intercooler heat soaking?

Not saying the intercooler is junk or anything, don't get me wrong, just trying to clarify

Last edited by JMEngland88; 11-26-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Mr. Innocent

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
This is why I love these boards: someone here will always ask the right questions.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:09 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Agree, the response should be interesting

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 11-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
Why was there a 20 degree difference in inlet temperatures between the stock intercooler and yours? Your outlet temperature is lower, but so was your inlet temperature. It makes it difficult to judge the effectiveness of your intercooler.

Frederic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEngland88 View Post
Yea according to your little graph, the outlet temperature in relation to the inlet temperature is nearly the same between the stock intercooler and your aftermarket one. If the case truly is that the runs done with your aftermarket intercooler were done with lower intake temps, that also could negate the gains that you're claiming. A run done with a 20 degree lower intake temp with the stock intercooler could very well make a decent amount more power than one with higher temps. Is the higher intake temp due the piping leading up to the intercooler heat soaking?

Not saying the intercooler is junk or anything, don't get me wrong, just trying to clarify
Great question! The reason our inlet temperatures are different is because the graphs are based off an average of 3 dyno runs. The temperatures were equal at the first run for both the stock and Mishimoto intercoolers. During the testing, the car was given 3 minutes between each run to cool off.

Due to the all-aluminum construction of the Mishimoto Intercooler, it had the ability to dissipate heat more efficiently, allowing the car to cool down quicker. The stock intercooler was heat soaking, which caused the inlet temperatures to be higher than ours. Hopefully this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 11-26-2013, 03:09 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
I am not understanding something. I can see heat soak effect the output side, by why would it effect the input side?

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Coyote First Start.
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 11-26-2013, 04:34 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: e92, e82, e46, e39
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
I am not understanding something. I can see heat soak effect the output side, by why would it effect the input side?
Maybe condensation build up? Usually that's the most common issue with most of the intercoolers available in the market.

Just my .02.

-Frank
Old 11-27-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBargains IV View Post
Maybe condensation build up? Usually that's the most common issue with most of the intercoolers available in the market.

Have not looked into available FMIC's, but do know something of heat exchangers and condensation....no trap on these units?

FAIL!!

There's gotta be pain in Florida.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 11-27-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Our sensors were placed on the actual end tanks, at the opening of the inlet and outlet. If you look at the design of our end tanks vs. the stock intercooler, you can see that our end tanks are formed for more efficient air flow. Because of the geometry of our end tanks, and the larger internal volume of our intercooler, the heat is able to disperse more effectively, causing lower inlet temperatures. This, combined with the heat soak effect I explained earlier, is why there is a difference in the inlet temperatures during our testing. Hopefully that clears everything up.

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 10-19-2014, 01:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Have not looked into available FMIC's, but do know something of heat exchangers and condensation....no trap on these units?

FAIL!!

There's gotta be pain in Florida.

Mishimoto...what is he referring to exactly?

2010 E90 335i (M Sports) - Cobb Stage 1 ST - Injen Dual Cone CAI - Vanguard Catback Exhaust
Old 10-19-2014, 07:30 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthxtyler View Post
Mishimoto...what is he referring to exactly?
Are you asking what a Mishimoto is or what he is saying? If you are asking what a Mishimoto is, in this case it is a name brand for a FMIC (front mount intercooler). There are lots of them out there. If you are asking what he is talking about I'll let you ask him that one.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio. 2015 BMW X1 28iXdrive M Sport, LeMans Blue, with Black Dakota leather, Premium and Technology packages, with heated seats, satellite radio.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkind62 View Post
Are you asking what a Mishimoto is or what he is saying? If you are asking what a Mishimoto is, in this case it is a name brand for a FMIC (front mount intercooler). There are lots of them out there. If you are asking what he is talking about I'll let you ask him that one.
I'm asking him to address the issue asked by CAL. Haha. I'm in the market for an FMIC and want to know what I'm getting should I choose a Mishimoto.

2010 E90 335i (M Sports) - Cobb Stage 1 ST - Injen Dual Cone CAI - Vanguard Catback Exhaust
Old 10-19-2014, 12:33 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Looks like Cal is talking about a condensation trap to me. His Florida rainstorm pic is used to highlight his point--hot humid air compressed further then sudden cooled = condensation. Where does this water go?