Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-25-2013, 09:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i
Is there a way to get top view system onto an E90?

Hey guys,

First time on this forum. After many years of saving up, I finally bought my first BMW! It's a 2011 328i without iDrive. I'm currently looking for a rear camera solution. I really like the top view systems on the newer models. It's difficult to park in my tiny garage and back out into the narrow alley way. Anyone know if it's possible to reuse a F30 system and plug into my E90?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F01-F02-...item4ab9ccf343

Or even aftermarket version of some sort?

I searched around the internet but couldn't find anywhere legit that would sell such a thing. I guess I can settle for a single rear view camera and use my Android phone as a display. I was wondering if anyone had success in such an endeavor.

Thanks!_a_
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
I doubt it. Not anything plug and play from what I have seen.

I'm currently building a CarPC. I can run as many webcams as I want. And I found a small program that records and compresses full HD video @ 60fps.

They sell video interfaces for CCC and CIC nav units where you can hijack the screen and display whatever you want. Most have 3 video inputs with an auto reverse trigger.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 11-26-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:10 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
There is a huge disadvantage to the top system (wish it would retract). Thieves will break your car window to steal it. It doesn't matter if it is nearly impossible to detach - they will break your window, possibly damage your seats (from the glass), and definitely damage the system.

Also, there most likely is not any kind of aftermarket system. BMW is not a plug and play car

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 PM

Ah, thanks guys.

I guess I could go with a regular rear view camera with a wifi transmitter thing. Conversion to iDrive would definitely void my warranty right?

I'm thinking about running a line from cigarette lighter to the trunk for the wifi transmitter. Then run the wire to the camera through one of the license plate lights. I guess the tricky parts are the trunk assembly and hiding the line well in the cabin.

I don't think that would void my warranty as I'm not making any irreversible changes or splicing any wires.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceforever View Post
Hey guys,

First time on this forum. After many years of saving up, I finally bought my first BMW! It's a 2011 328i without iDrive. I'm currently looking for a rear camera solution. I really like the top view systems on the newer models. It's difficult to park in my tiny garage and back out into the narrow alley way. Anyone know if it's possible to reuse a F30 system and plug into my E90?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F01-F02-...item4ab9ccf343

Or even aftermarket version of some sort?

I searched around the internet but couldn't find anywhere legit that would sell such a thing. I guess I can settle for a single rear view camera and use my Android phone as a display. I was wondering if anyone had success in such an endeavor.

Thanks!_a_

I don't get it - the BMW sys is made for iDrive which you don't have. Maybe I'm wrong but the BMW system has no capability to display on a cell phone, and I don't see that you've located the cameras that it uses. Plug-n-play it ain't for your use.

Have heard of aftermarket backup cameras that display on a cell phone via wireless but a simple Google search must have revealed that.

Camera[s] with dedicated dash mount screen widely available.

Site mounted camera[s] w/web page access also widely available.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

Right, I'm going to give up on trying to get the BMW topview system working. I thought someone here might know the details of that system and could hack it to work with E90 idrive systems. (I was thinking of converting to idrive for the top view system). But I think that'll void the warranty and also cost quite a bit of money.

I found an aftermarket wifi backup camera for car use on 4ucam.com decided to get one to see if it'll work. It basically has a wifi transmitter and a camera. It needs power from a 12V source, however I'm worried about voiding warranty. So I'm thinking about running a cigarette lighter source from the console to the trunk.

The reason I opted for this is because I don't want to clutter the dash with a bunch of screens. I already use my cellphone for GPS navigation (google maps is way better than any OEM map system I've seen).

The side mounted cameras seem kind of troublesome to access if they require you to go to a web page.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Is there a way to get top view system onto an E90?

The cost of what you're trying to accomplish by retrofitting an iDrive unit just for the sake of having to retrofit an aftermarket....

Let's just say you could go buy a new BMW with the options installed from the factory for less.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app