Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-26-2013, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW?
New poster considering a BMW wagon 328

Locally there is a 2011 BMW 328xi wagon for sale with around 35,000 miles.

It's a manual transmission which can be a negative but after asking him he is pricing it higher due to the rarity of the car.

I have never owned a BMW before and currently drive a 1995 Volvo wagon which was original to the family from 1995 and I was deeded it out of college in 2003. I really like the wagons and would like to stick with one. I'm not attached to BMWs but would like some sort of European car as I like the luxury and quality of the equipment (except Audi, see below).

With mx costs on these cars, are they like any other European car? Expensive parts but last a long time? Or do they tend to break more often such as a Audi (they are POS).

I do a lot of mx on my car, from regular oil changes to swapping a transmission but it is an older car. Not sure how tolerant these new fangled cars are to being worked on by DIY'ers. I tend to keep cars for a long time so I want something that will last.

ASSuming car is in good repair and standard condition for its age/miles, and paying with cash not a loan, what would a good starting point for negotiation be? It's a private sale not a a dealer and apparently is on lease currently.

Also I had to guess what forum this belongs in, all sorts of E-codes and stuff, just not sure what I'm doing, please put in the correct forum.

Last edited by wheelsup; 11-26-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM

OK looks like the 2006-2011 model years all look very similar? So almost would make sense, bang for the buck, to go with an older one that costs less if they are all going to look the same.

I found a 2006 530xit wagon also locally w/ 96k on it and price is almost 1/3 of what the other guy wants for his 2011 which aesthetically looks very similar as far as body panels go. I realize one is a 328 and one is a 530. I also really like the color of the 530. Hmm. That one is much more attractive to me.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
ASSuming car is in good repair and standard condition for its age/miles, and paying with cash not a loan, what would a good starting point for negotiation be? It's a private sale not a a dealer and apparently is on lease currently.

A-yessssssss.....look for an Odyssey.

Grossly more reliable with much, much, much, much more room than a 3 station wagon. Handles reasonably well. Useful in ways BMW will never be. Very inexpensive to own.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
The 6 MT E91 (2006~2012) is, indeed, rare. It took over 6 months to find my '07 and I've been very happy with it for the 3 1/2 years I've owned it. However, mine did require some expensive repairs to the electrical system which were covered by warranty (some OEM, and some CPO), so I'd advise finding a CPO covered car. You might search on the BMW site:

http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/conte...lSearchRD.aspx

Also, since you apparently don't really care for the MT, why not buy a Steptronic model instead? As MT wagons probably represented only about 5% of the 1500 or so E91s imported annually, you will have a much larger selection from which to choose.

Tom
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 AM

To be honest I was hoping for a discount for the manual, after punching in the manual transmission option in NADA it lowered the value by $800. I'm not opposed to it, because it's one less large component that can fail (clutch is much, MUCH cheaper to replace than the entire shindig) but if the manual is an "enthusiast" type thing that people will actually pay extra for than no I don't need it.

So the consensus is general reliability isn't the greatest? That is unfortunate, such nice cars. Maybe I'm stuck driving my car for a long time to come.

Really no need for a mini-van, I know the utility is there and they have a ton of room but I do prefer the car-like aspects of a wagon.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:43 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Locally there is a 2011 BMW 328xi wagon for sale with around 35,000 miles.

With mx costs on these cars, are they like any other European car? Expensive parts but last a long time? Or do they tend to break more often such as a Audi (they are POS).
Guessing mine has accumulated under $10k in (mostly) warranty repairs since I've owned it, probably a bit over $10k with the $1k shopping cart ding (I blame BMW for the tinfoil sheet metal).

My beater Volvo wagon (stick, ordered new) has 202K miles. The BMW is in another world as far as repair costs. I hope the '11 you're considering has the maximum amount of warranty possible, BMW's standard warranty plus consider the CPO or extended warranty.

I don't expect to keep the BMW as long as I've kept the Volvo. Love the way the BMW performs, but it's a PITA as far as maintenance and repairs. Who has the time?
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 11-26-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Guessing mine has accumulated under $10k in (mostly) warranty repairs since I've owned it, probably a bit over $10k with the $1k shopping cart ding (I blame BMW for the tinfoil sheet metal).

My beater Volvo wagon (stick, ordered new) has 202K miles. The BMW is in another world as far as repair costs. I hope the '11 you're considering has the maximum amount of warranty possible, BMW's standard warranty plus consider the CPO or extended warranty.

I don't expect to keep the BMW as long as I've kept the Volvo. Love the way the BMW performs, but it's a PITA as far as maintenance and repairs. Who has the time?

Thanks. I agree about the time aspect. I feel for folks who have to arrange dropping off their car and picking it up routinely, such a ridiculous hassle. The few times I have taken my 850 to the dealer for recalls I even get a loaner and it's still a hassle. In the past 10 years of ownership I have put $2,000 into it and that includes tires and oil changes as well. Great cars and I guess it's true they don't build them like they used to.

I was hoping a new BMW would be built well as well but I can say everything I have been reading has screamed "don't do it!". I was looking at several year old 7 series wondering how they go from $100k cars to $20k cars in 3-4 years and come to find out they fall apart when they hit 100,000 miles.

Such a shame, they handle well and look very nice, just no meat and potatoes to them. I'm due for a new car as mine is approaching 19 years of age and butting up against 200k but just don't know what to do.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Wagon, Dodge Diesel
I have a 2008 E91 with Steptronic and ZSP. I bought it new and its covered 148,000 trouble free miles. Since I drive so much, the original warranty timed-out after 17 months, and opted for an extended warranty to 100K that I never had to use. I use the BMW Club's Mike Miller preventative maintenance schedule post-warranty. Regular fluid, belt and plug changes, and about to replace the hoses at 150K. Post-warranty ownership means having funds set aside for possible big repairs, but I have no regrets keeping the car. This is my second E91; my first was a 2007 bought off the lot at Bakersfield BMW.
2008 328i Wagon Titanium Silver/Step/ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/CA/Navi/Xenon. Anthracite Apex ARC-8 17x9" with Hankook V12 245 and 255/40/17. Matte black kidney grilles/Venture Shield clear bra/Pinnacle F1 tint, Cool Carbon, and UV/Skene Design low profile front license plate bracket
Old 11-28-2013, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328xiT (E91)
New poster considering a BMW wagon 328

Wheelsup,

I have a 2012 E91 6sp and LOVE IT! I purchased it euro delivery and have not regretted it. It has 22k in 1.5 years of service and has had a couple of warranty items done. One being the evaporator and the other being a rattle in the headliner that was present the day of delivery in Munich. Otherwise, the car has been flawless and drives amazingly well at 110mph. Colorado is not easy on cars with mountain driving, snow, magnesium chloride, downtown Denver potholes and sometimes extreme temperatures.

I'm also a huge fan of wagons and have owned a few including a Volvo wagon and Subaru wagon. The E91 is by far the best and most fun to drive.

Thinking about getting the F31 328xd wagon soon. :-)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2012 328i XDrive Touring MT -- Daily Driver
1988 Range Rover Classic 3.5L V8 -- Weekend Car
Old 11-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Buy it. It is awesome and rare. You may not see another one for a while.

I would have bought it in a heart beat. Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

H
Old 11-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i sport wagon
Wagons are in the geeky cool department!

Join the few, the proud, the geeky cool 6 speed MT wagon owners club!

Like you, a year ago I was looking for a utilitarian vehicle and was focused on finding an X3 with a manual transmission ( yes, like trying to find a unicorn ). Stumbled on a 328i touring and soon after I became a "new to me 2009 328i touring owner." The car was almost flawless (few small wheel rashes and little scratches here and there) with 8.5k miles on it... I haven't had any serious problems with the vehicle and we are now at 22k miles with little more than one year of ownership. Just a warranty replacement for the door screen, the plastic pull latch detached from the screen and battery cable recall. Before my ownership, the rear taillight was fixed due to some electrical issue. However I still have ~2 years of CPO warranty left on the car, which brings a little "peace of mind."

I would agree with others that the wagon driving characteristics are fantastic. I prefer to drive the 328i touring over our MINI Cooper Clubman S, which is also a fun drive. I've also owned two Miata's, CRX and a Integra and would place the 328i touring as one of my favorite rides.

I'm of the opinion that used manual transmission vehicles will not be discounted as there are almost zero options in the market place for quirky drivers who prefer to purchase a row their own vehicle... I believe manual transmission drivers are mostly car enthusiast that enjoy the driving experience of a three pedal vehicle. They are most likely to be patient while finding exactly what they want. That's what brought me to BMW, as the mainstream automakers mostly dropped manual transmissions from their SUV lineup in 2004 and wagons are non-existent.Unfortunately, BMW is following the trend of the main stream automakers, as the F31 is not available in a three peddle variation in the United States.

Happy car shopping!

Aloha!

2011 Clubman S | MT6 | Chili Red Black Roof | Roof Rails | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod
2009 BMW 328i Touring | MT6 | Tasman Metallic | Dakota Saddle Brown Leather | Premium | Xenon | Blue Tooth - iPod

Last edited by ophale; 11-29-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i Wagon M56 SULEV
I just drove a jetta diesel wagon, a4 wagon, sti hatchback, honda wagon, explore sport, and decided on the e91 wagon. Where one lacks the other makes up. The e91 found a nice overall middle.

If u are shop oriented and have the time to keep up with the maintenance u should be ok. Also try not to lower and modify the crap out of it and u should be fine.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
I'm loving it