Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Crazy loud electronic sound

I own a 2011 328i and love my car,I have owned Bimmers for quite some time but never experienced this.I pulled into a local BP gas station,turned off the ignition and removed the key fob and got out of my car and locked the doors,filled up my tank and when I finished I opened the car door and heard a very very loud electronic buzzing coming from my rear speakers.There are high voltage electric transmission towers in the area and they compltetly block out radio reception.I could not stop this sound and drove all the way back home listening to this.When I got home I got out of my car and opened the fuel filler door and when I tried to open the gas cap I received a small static shock and the sound abruptly ended.I started to wonder about airplanes that get grounded before they fuel up,has anyone ever experienced this before?Whats the deal?????
Old 11-26-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
I own a 2011 328i and love my car,I have owned Bimmers for quite some time but never experienced this.I pulled into a local BP gas station,turned off the ignition and removed the key fob and got out of my car and locked the doors,filled up my tank and when I finished I opened the car door and heard a very very loud electronic buzzing coming from my rear speakers.There are high voltage electric transmission towers in the area and they compltetly block out radio reception.I could not stop this sound and drove all the way back home listening to this.When I got home I got out of my car and opened the fuel filler door and when I tried to open the gas cap I received a small static shock and the sound abruptly ended.I started to wonder about airplanes that get grounded before they fuel up,has anyone ever experienced this before?Whats the deal?????

Mysterious....almost unheard of....

Yes, deep in the dusty bin of Waterboy's memory, and it is thick with the stuff, I seem to remember someone with static....someone with electronic whine....others with sound unexplained coming from rear speakers.

But my memory, like Bill Clinton's just isn't what is used to be. No. I cannot recall the critical details.

Yet like a Special Prosecuter, there are those that keep a clearer record!?!? Messrs Page & Brin are at your service with a vast repository of discussion and solution! Please do consult them through THIS WEB PORTAL!!!
Old 11-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

Oh, and I'd get that static discharge issue resolved before you immolate your bad self.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Mysterious....almost unheard of....

Yes, deep in the dusty bin of Waterboy's memory, and it is thick with the stuff, I seem to remember someone with static....someone with electronic whine....others with sound unexplained coming from rear speakers.

But my memory, like Bill Clinton's just isn't what is used to be. No. I cannot recall the critical details.

Yet like a Special Prosecuter, there are those that keep a clearer record!?!? Messrs Page & Brin are at your service with a vast repository of discussion and solution! Please do consult them through THIS WEB PORTAL!!!
Reading what you wrote is like watching that Gevalia house blend coffee commercial,you know the one that all the girls are listening to him read the back of the coffee package,"net weight 430 grams"...now for my De niro impression,"you,you're good"
Old 11-26-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I didn't get a shock, but I had a similar thing continually happen when using my radio or CD player or hard drive when my car was parked in front of my garage. It happened several times until I figured out that it would only happen in front of my garage. It would go away when I pulled the car away from the garage, parked it and turned off the ignition. Then, I would start the car again and it was fine. I think my garage door opener was causing the interference loop.

I asked about it when the car was in for service, and they had a number of customers with the same complaints. The dealer said they had a new software upgrade for the car, and although they had no clue what it included, they suggested to do the upgrade and see if it helped. Maybe a coincidence, but it never happened again.

Ask your dealer if your car is up-to-date with software upgrades.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 11-26-2013, 12:51 PM

10-4 beden1 will do.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:57 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Check the amp area in the trunk. I bet there are signs of water.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Check the amp area in the trunk. I bet there are signs of water.
Aint no water in my car,no way no how,dont even drink water in my car.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
I had an '08 328xi in the past and had something similar happen to that car. There was a loud buzzing sound from the rear speakers and it was making the noise with the car on and off, key fob in or out, locked and unlocked. I could not do anything to get it to stop. After about 30 minutes it began to fade away and then ultimately stopped all together. The stereo worked the entire time and never had any ill effects. It never came back in the remaining 3 years I had it.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
Aint no water in my car,no way no how,dont even drink water in my car.
Did you even check? Or are you assuming?

It's a common issue for water to leak into the trunk and into the amp area, shorting the amp.

Someone was trying to file a class action lawsuit against BMW for this issue. I don't know how successful they were in filing the case but I know it's a common problem that is overlooked until it causes issues.

It common in other chassis too, not just E9x.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |