Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-26-2013, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Audi A4
Question Engine from 08 328xi fit on my 06 325i?

06 325i engine part number is N52B30A

08 328xi engine part number N52B30AE

Asked the dealer if it would fit, told me no because of what the computer says.

Asked the seller, said it is exact dimensions as the 06 though many of his customers have upgraded to 07+ engines because of the cam shaft upgrade.

If anyone could give me some insight on what the ending codes mean and if they would work with each other that would be great.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-26-2013, 06:33 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimov308 View Post
06 325i engine part number is N52B30A

08 328xi engine part number N52B30AE

Asked the dealer if it would fit, told me no because of what the computer says.

Asked the seller, said it is exact dimensions as the 06 though many of his customers have upgraded to 07+ engines because of the cam shaft upgrade.

If anyone could give me some insight on what the ending codes mean and if they would work with each other that would be great.
The intake manifolds are radically different, and the ECU program is different. Remember, the '06 sedans had two engines (both were 3.0L), but with different manifolds: the 330i had a dual-length adaptable intake, while the 325i had a single non-adaptive one.

The '07 and onward models were labeled 328i (again based upon the same 3.0L block), and had a different runner than either '06 (although I believe it's more similar to the 325i). Not sure if the '07 and on had a DISA valve that the 325i didn't.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
The intake manifolds are radically different, and the ECU program is different. Remember, the '06 sedans had two engines (both were 3.0L), but with different manifolds: the 330i had a dual-length adaptable intake, while the 325i had a single non-adaptive one.

The '07 and onward models were labeled 328i (again based upon the same 3.0L block), and had a different runner than either '06 (although I believe it's more similar to the 325i). Not sure if the '07 and on had a DISA valve that the 325i didn't.
So are you telling me that it won't fit or what?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Why would you even consider this.

They are both 3 liter motors if they are US Cars and I understand the differences are quite
minor. Like the Engine software mostly. If you want to you could get three stage Intake
and a AA Tune and raise the output to about 260 hp. There us only 15 hp difference between the
325 and 328 I doubt you could even tell the difference in normal day to day operation . Unless you
were really flogging it you probably wouldn't notice much difference at all.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=378

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37444

If you really want more power you should get a different car.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-26-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
They are both 3 liter motors if they are US Cars and I understand the differences are quite
minor. Like the Engine software mostly. If you want to you could get three stage Intake
and a AA Tune and raise the output to about 260 hp. There us only 15 hp difference between the
325 and 328 I doubt you could even tell the difference in normal day to day operation . Unless you
were really flogging it you probably wouldn't notice much difference at all.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=378
I'm not looking to mod anything. I simply want to swap the engines because mine is busted. Would I run into any mechanical problems as opposed to technical?
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM

I would get a second opinion from an Indy.

I really don't see why not but I don't change motors or even do that
much maintenance or have access to a BMW data base .
You need one of the guys like DSXmachina to comment on this.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I really don't see why not but I don't change motors or even do that
much maintenance or have access to a BMW data base .
You need one of the guys like DSXmachina to comment on this.
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."

OP, as others up above have suggested this is a no-win situation. Making the engine 'fit' is the least of your worries. Sure it might plop right down on the original mounts and bolt up to your transmission, but you'll have the dickens of a time getting it to run right if at all.

And in the end what have you got for all your work? A jury rigged, low resale interest sedan with no value added.

The simple fact is that the hardest thing about an engine swap is getting the engine mated up with the electronics. See, you only think you are starting and operating your engine. What you are doing is sending requests through either the ignition key or the accelerator to the ECM. The ECM looks at your request, quickly reviews input from a dozen or so sensors, and sends specific commands to the throttle, the injectors, the intake manifold, the coolant pump, the thermostat, the AC compressor, the alternator, the spark control system and on and on. It's the ECM which is really running the show.

Back in the day we could yank a two barrel 289 out of a Mustang in the morning and drive out with a 351 Cleveland in the evening. Engine control consisted of throttle linkage direct to the accelerator, and two 12 volt wires from the ignition switch. One went to the coil and the other to the starter. That was it. Simple.

Nowadays you'll need to be a software hacker of the first order, and know things about engine management which engineers take years to learn. Then you'll have to figure out how to wire everything together with connectors that won't mate, harnesses with fittings in the wrong place, and sensors and relays which generate signals no longer understood by the original ECM.

So, can it be done? Yes. But it would be extremely difficult and beg the question, Why didn't you just find the right replacement engine to start with? Whatever it would have cost, it would have been cheaper than the swap you have in mind.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 Saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."

OP, as others up above have suggested this is a no-win situation. Making the engine 'fit' is the least of your worries. Sure it might plop right down on the original mounts and bolt up to your transmission, but you'll have the dickens of a time getting it to run right if at all.

And in the end what have you got for all your work? A jury rigged, low resale interest sedan with no value added.

The simple fact is that the hardest thing about an engine swap is getting the engine mated up with the electronics. See, you only think you are starting and operating your engine. What you are doing is sending requests through either the ignition key or the accelerator to the ECM. The ECM looks at your request, quickly reviews input from a dozen or so sensors, and sends specific commands to the throttle, the injectors, the intake manifold, the coolant pump, the thermostat, the AC compressor, the alternator, the spark control system and on and on. It's the ECM which is really running the show.

Back in the day we could yank a two barrel 289 out of a Mustang in the morning and drive out with a 351 Cleveland in the evening. Engine control consisted of throttle linkage direct to the accelerator, and two 12 volt wires from the ignition switch. One went to the coil and the other to the starter. That was it. Simple.

Nowadays you'll need to be a software hacker of the first order, and know things about engine management which engineers take years to learn. Then you'll have to figure out how to wire everything together with connectors that won't mate, harnesses with fittings in the wrong place, and sensors and relays which generate signals no longer understood by the original ECM.

So, can it be done? Yes. But it would be extremely difficult and beg the question, Why didn't you just find the right replacement engine to start with? Whatever it would have cost, it would have been cheaper than the swap you have in mind.

But wouldn't a good Indy know and understand this and able to reprogram the ECM to accomodate the new motor?

ED - 5.14.10
ED Drop off - 5.22.10
Car arrived in Brunswick, GA - 6.21.10
Released from Customs - 6.25.10
PCD Redelivery - 7.12.10

Picking up the car at the Welt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6Ulzi58u6I
My 140MPH A92 run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRej5VEQpmc

ED May 14, 2010
Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 AM

DSXmachina is a good Indy .

DSXmachina is a good Indy .
At least that's what I gather from reading all his
posts and reply's.
There could be some subtle things but people have messed with Engine
programming for mods a lot.

Last edited by ctuna; 11-27-2013 at 10:27 AM.