Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i GT XDrive
New Winter Shoes

Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my Stormtrooper in full winter kit... Her winter wheels and tires consist of 18" OEM 9 spoke wheels from a 745Li wrapped in 245/45/18 Michelin Alpin PA4 V-Rated High Performance winter rubber. Though I miss the look of her sitting on my 20" twin-5-spoke black powder coated MSport wheels, I do like the extra cushion "Spring in her step" that a higher profile smaller wheel surface area brings. The tires grip the road well in the snow and wet and according to my tire guy at Discount Tire, these Michelins perform better than the Bridgestone Blizzaks.

More pics in the album on my profile page or via my hashtag on Instagram: #JakeandNicoles550iGT or #STRMTRPR550iGT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	409733  

Last edited by STRMTRPR550iGT; 11-27-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2014, 07:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 MBZ CLK500
How did you deal with TPMS? Did you buy a new set? Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 08:58 AM

Prior to purchasing the aforementioned wheels, I consulted with my dealers parts department to make sure that both the wheels and TPMS would be compatible with my car. I was given the go ahead. When I found them not to be compatible, I made a big stink about it because I never would have paid what I did for the wheels had I known that their TPMS were in fact NOT compatible with my car, and that I would have to buy new TPMS to tune of $500+ (dealer mark up-- they don't cost that much from online suppliers)... I convinced the dealer that they needed to install them for me gratis because they had misinformed me.
Yay me right?!

Anyway, for obvious reasons you definitely want to have the right TPMS, not only to get rid of that annoying error message that you encounter every time you turn on your car, but more importantly so you know when your tire pressure is too low, and so your speed, mpg, and the like are being reported to you correctly.

Look on realOEM.com, getBMWparts.com for much more aggressive/fair pricing then you'll get from your dealer. Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2011 F07 550i Gran Turismo XDrive, BSM under 3M matte white and carbon fiber wrap on 20" black powder coated twin-5-spoke MSport wheels... Sport with Black Nappa, Exec, Camera, Convenience, Cold weather, Premium Sound, Rear Entertainment, etc

Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR550iGT View Post
Just wanted to share a couple of pics of my Stormtrooper in full winter kit... Her winter wheels and tires ...Though I miss the look of her ...I do like the extra cushion "Spring in her step" ...
I don't recall there ever being female Storm Troopers…. Hmmmmm
Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

@ernest haha touché! I'm channeling Han when referring to my STRMTRPR like he referred to his Falcon... "she'll make 0.5 past lightspeed," or Lando, "Don't worry old buddy, she won't get a scratch."

2011 F07 550i Gran Turismo XDrive, BSM under 3M matte white and carbon fiber wrap on 20" black powder coated twin-5-spoke MSport wheels... Sport with Black Nappa, Exec, Camera, Convenience, Cold weather, Premium Sound, Rear Entertainment, etc

Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
[QUOTE=STRMTRPR550iGT;8246826]@ernest haha touché! I'm channeling Han when referring to my STRMTRPR like he referred to his Falcon... "she'll make 0.5 past lightspeed," or Lando, "Don't worry old buddy, she won't get a scratch." . /QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with a true GT fan rabidly, and uniquely, expressing, and sharing, his feelings.
Well done....

Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
I'm hoping those snow shoes get to come off shortly, I'd be rampaging if we had any more days below freezing.

Yours is white wrapped if I recall, did you leave the door handles and behind them factory color or did you do something to them as well? Either way, I'm really loving that look...quite unique and something I haven't seen before. With those door handles being that color I think blacking out the front side reflector would really complete the look (never saw a stormtrooper with orange accents, but I also haven't seen the newer "trilogy" prequels)
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
I'm hoping those snow shoes get to come off shortly, I'd be rampaging if we had any more days below freezing.
It needs to regularly be above 40-degrees F before your 'summer' tires will work as well.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:56 PM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
It needs to regularly be above 40-degrees F before your 'summer' tires will work as well.
Ours are working great. Never before have I purchased such soft compound tires, the wife is loving them...what have I started?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daders View Post
Ours are working great. Never before have I purchased such soft compound tires, the wife is loving them...what have I started?
I have PA2's...when I bought them, they had come out with PA3, but didn't have my size at the time...since I don't drive all that much, it will be awhile before I need to replace them, and who knows what will be available then. I've been having some intermittent issues with the aftermarket TPMS sensors...thought it was the car, but the dealer says its the sensors. I think at least one has a marginal battery...I need to call TireRack and talk to them...they should last longer than three seasons.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM

I will try out the same route. Starting from 750 or 745 winter wheel/tire set....Do you know on what year 7 series TPMS would be compatible with 2010 550i GT?
Old 03-31-2014, 05:53 PM

Careful...compatibility can go bonkers depending on what programming is in the vehicle. When I had mine in, they were going to replace the sensors, and said if they did, they'd have to reprogram the car to handle the latest version. Don't know what changes, the protocol, the frequency, or maybe both, but apparently, both can be changed with programming, like many things in the vehicle. Now, it might be easier to assess if the vehicle has never had any dealer applied firmware updates.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRMTRPR550iGT View Post
@ernest haha touché! I'm channeling Han when referring to my STRMTRPR like he referred to his Falcon... "she'll make 0.5 past lightspeed," or Lando, "Don't worry old buddy, she won't get a scratch."
Well, if we include the Star Wars Comics, then you are in good shape. From Wikipedia:

"Jes Gistang's only appearance in Star Wars continuity is in the fourth issue of the Star Wars: Legacy comics, Noob, during which she is killed. Gistang is the first canonically-named female stormtrooper, although the first canonical female stormtrooper was the unidentified female stormtrooper appearing in Star Wars: Legacy 0."

And the toy action figure can be seen here.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:07 PM

Based on search 5 Series or 7 Series have the same TPMS for 2006 - 2010 September. If this is true mine (2009 production) should go with some used 7 series between 2006-2010. Does this look right? You told me you bought one from 745i which should be older than 2006. Is there any way to confirm the compatibility with part#? Thanks