Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
Question Best Tires

I just bought a used 2007 328xi - 16 inch rims. I am looking to get some new "all-seasons". My daily commute is about 1 hour round trip. I live in a location with some hills and the occasional snow/slush. Any recommendations as to which tires are the best. Moreover, is it necessary to buy actual snow tires with the x drive?

Thanks,

Galla10188
Ads by Google
Old 11-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a pretty decent tire. Decent handling, nice ride quality - and very quiet.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
That is actually the tire I was thinking. I had read that was a pretty safe bet.

Thanks GEOMAX
Old 11-30-2013, 01:24 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galla10188 View Post
That is actually the tire I was thinking. I had read that was a pretty safe bet.

Thanks GEOMAX
I have Conti DWS on my E93 and am very satisfied with them.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 11-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Another vote for the DWS. Excellent handling, great ride, very good tread wear and inexpensive.

The initial steering turn in may feel a tad "mushy" compared to OEM RFTs, but that does not affect the grip.

Tom
Old 11-30-2013, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550I Sport
Best Tires

Your commute was similar to mine about 6 months ago. Had the Conti DWS on my GS300 before I sold it. I now have them on my 550. They have been great so far.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
PedalBox 3rd Generation
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Another all-season to consider. Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3

Review:

http://tires.about.com/od/Tire_Revie...port-A-S-3.htm

My son has these on his 135i convertible.

Quote:
is it necessary to buy actual snow tires with the x drive?
Check out this video then decide based on the weather conditions you will be driving in.

http://www.tirerack.com/videos/index.jsp?video=26

IMO I don't think x drive will help all that much for stopping when on snowy or icy roads. It will mainly depend on the griping ability of the tires you have on the car.

Last edited by Norm37; 11-30-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
I just bought a used 2007 328xi - 16 inch rims. I am looking to get some new "all-seasons". My daily commute is about 1 hour round trip. I live in a location with some hills and the occasional snow/slush. Any recommendations as to which tires are the best. Moreover, is it necessary to buy actual snow tires with the x drive?

Thanks,

Galla10188
You're not too far from me. I did very well my first year with brand new all-seasons on my xi in the snow. If you plan to keep them on all year, maybe next winter consider getting a dedicated set of snows. Like the previous poster said, the amount of tread depth is the most important factor.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Well i would never go out on the roads if they were pure ice unless i put chains on the tires. Second take on the video. Seems all season are a better choice if you want to split the performance. Otherwise buy a set of summer tires and a set of winter tires
Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I have heard great things about the Conti DWS. I run Pilot SS (Summer tires) would not work for you. They are great tires though. N4S
Old 12-01-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
I run Conti DWS tires for 3 seasons, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS tires in the winter.

The Conti tires are very nice in dry weather, fine in the rain, OK in snow, poor if it's icy, and frightening if you get stuck on ice during freezing rain.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 12-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
I run Conti DWS tires for 3 seasons, and Bridgestone Blizzak WS tires in the winter.

The Conti tires are very nice in dry weather, fine in the rain, OK in snow, poor if it's icy, and frightening if you get stuck on ice during freezing rain.
Great info there Zooks. To the point and informative.

Posts like this are why I keep coming back to bf.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
bridgetone turanza makes a fantastic all season tire. I actually have them in the run flat version and they are really good!

"No matter how much it hurts or how dark it gets or how hard you fall you are never out of the fight!" ML
Old 12-01-2013, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335D
I just got a set of BFG G force RTFs at an awesome deal. Tearing up the road.
Old 12-01-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggl52 View Post
bridgetone turanza makes a fantastic all season tire. I actually have them in the run flat version and they are really good!
Which Turanzas? I wouldn't exactly describe the OEM EL 42 RFT A/S Turanza as fantastic - adequate (but with below par wet weather) performance and overpriced is more like it.

Tom
Old 12-02-2013, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
I've had the Conti EC DWS on a 99 a4 and a 2011 WRX, I thought they preformed very well on both. My 335 presently has a different (OEM?) Conti on them, but I haven't gotten to try them in snow yet, but I'm looking forward to it.
I imagine I'll be getting some nice summer tires next season (really liked the Dunlop Sport 01's I had on my WRX prior to the 335, would probably give those another shot).
Old 12-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive
I just picked up a set of Dunlop Wintersport M3 RFTs for my 328 xdrive. We have not had too much snow in Toronto, but they drive very well for a winter tire, noise is minimal when compared to the all-seasons and they handle very well (again for a snow tire).
Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 AM
BSE90

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Hankook just came out with the Ventus S1 Noble 2. It's a very difficult tire to find in most dealerships, but Tire Rack has them. According to the road tests and surveys, it's top of the list for an "ultra-high performance" all-season tire. Gets very high marks for dry and wet weather traction, road noise and comfort, and I think even an average of around 8.3 out of 10 for light snow, deep snow, and ice traction. I live in Michigan. My house is 30miles from Lake Michigan, and I work in the Detroit area. I also drive (on average) about 8,000 miles/month. I bought my 2006 325i, middle of last month, and have added just over 5,000 to the odometer. The car has the optional 18" wheels, even though it has the premium package, and NOT the sport package. It came wrapped with BEAUTIFUL (looking), almost new, Goodyear Eagle GT's. A few days after purchasing the car, I found it had a slow leak in the driver rear. Long story short, it has a "micro" finishing nail in the tread, too close to the side wall to repair... BUMMER!

I don't hate the tires that are on the car now, but I realized when checking for the leak, that the rear tires are not the correct size (has 245/40/18, should be 255/35/18). Also, anyone that lives near, or has been watching the nightmare of icy and snowy weather around the Illinois/Indiana/Michigan connection at the bottom of Lake Michigan lately... I've had to drive in that mess around 6 times this year already. All I can say, is THANK GOD for the BMW stability, and traction control system! There is NO WAY the GT's are as good in this weather, as the car makes them seem. Due to the incorrect size findings, the miles I drive, and the lack of ability of the GT's to perform in ALL conditions optimally, I've decided to replace all the tires, even though they are still in excellet shape.

Based on the tests, and surveys completed by Tire Rack (which I've always found to be quite accurate), I think I'm going to go with the Hankook's. I won't be able to replace them for a couple weeks, but I'll update the group on their performance when I get them.

***Anyone interested in 3 GOOD, Goodyear Eagle GT's? There's about 90% tread on them. Fronts are 225/40/18 (2), and rear is 245/40/18 (1). They handle great in dry and wet weather. Could be good for track day tires. They are around $150 each on Tire Rack, and that's the "Closeout" price, so I'm sure they were typically more. If you're interested, PM me with an offer. Anything reasonable I'll accept. You'll just need to wait until I get the new tires.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:47 AM
BSE90

Mein Auto: '06 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbussard View Post
Hankook just came out with the Ventus S1 Noble 2. It's a very difficult tire to find in most dealerships, but Tire Rack has them. According to the road tests and surveys, it's top of the list for an "ultra-high performance" all-season tire. Gets very high marks for dry and wet weather traction, road noise and comfort, and I think even an average of around 8.3 out of 10 for light snow, deep snow, and ice traction.
I purchased the Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's a couple weeks ago. First impressions... VERY good tire. I've never run the Conti DWS', so I can't give my personal opinion on how they stack up, but here is what I've noticed.

Light snow / ice / slush traction - Good. They aren't a snow tire, so they aren't as good as a set of Blizaks, but they are far superior to the Goodyear GT's my car had on it, and they won't melt away as the roads get warmer. Smooth and predictable on snow and ice covered roads. BMW DTS doesn't hurt here either

Wet roads WITH standing water - Very Good. Plenty of standing water on the sides of the roads gave me a good chance to test the "sheding" ability. 65mph with 2-3" of standing water, doesn't even phase these tires. Not even a hint of hydroplaning. Tires hold wet corners confidently, even with temperatures near freezing.

Dry traction and braking - Very Good. Even with BMW's fantastic brakes, I couldn't get these tires to start slipping under heavy braking on dry pavement. They hold the road hard, even under heavy acceleration around curves. The tires are capable of holding everything my 325i can throw at it. More power, may yeild different results, but my wife litterally told me she was getting nausious in the middle of one long left hand sweeper.

Noise / Comfort - GREAT! I didn't think it was possible to get an ultra-high performance tire that was this quiet and smooth! Seriously. 95mph, and the ride is smooth as silk, and the ony noise I can hear is the wind (which is barely noticable).

Noteable issues / Comments - The only issue that I've found is these tires like to grove track. Normal roads, there is no issue. If you are on groved pavement however, they will follow any variation in the road. Again, I'm not sure how that stacks up against the other tires that are recommended here, but I didn't notice any tracking with the Goodyear GT's.

So, from the first impressions of the Hankook tires, I don't think there is a better tire around. At least not for the money. I looked very hard at the DWS', and almost bought them. But, Tire Rack ranked the Hankook tire #1, and the Conti's #2. According to their tests, it appears I really couldn't have gone wrong with either tire. At the end of the day the Hankook's are less expensive, and live up to all my expectations. The only question will be treadlife, but both have a 50,000 mile warranty as well.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggl52 View Post
We may have different ideas as to what the word "fantastic" means, because my Turanza RFTs are some of the worst tires I have had the pleasure of driving on.