Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to dave47561879
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 530i
Help with my 1995 530i

So as you probably already know that this car has a 3.0L V8. After two days of owning the vehicle, the engine started to have zero performance and idle rough. Idle rough in the sense that the entire car is shaking. So I figured it might be spark plugs. When I went to replace the spark plugs, I found out that there was a little bit of oil on top of the plugs, and it looked as though the valve cover gaskets were leaking. So I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the spark plugs, but that did not fix my problem. Upon further review, I figured out that the entire right side of the engine isn't firing. The spark plugs are good and the ignition coils are good, but there is no spark on the right four cylinders. How would I proceed in diagnosing this issue?
Ads by Google
Old 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2001e49, 94e34
I drove my 530i daily for eight years. A leak in the air intake side of the system is likely. The big tube can crack and the leaks letting unmetered air into the system. Also look for a loose stainless hose clamp anywhere on the intake side.

I don't know of anything that would cause loss of spark on one side of the engine. Check the grounding strap on each ingnition coil. If all are positive check the grounding of the entire engine. The orange gaskets between the intake plenum and the heads crack and fail causing similiar unmetered air problems. There is a gasket at the back of the air plenum (I can't remember the name of the part)- it has a hose going to it. It can also cause unmetered air. Mine is a great car.
Others are more expert. Leaking air is likely the problem. Get a Bentley's manual. Many topics thatbturn up as quesions are covered in Bentley. i have read a way to find an air laek is to spray carb cleaner or starting fluid onto the outside of likely failure points. If the engine revs a bitnyou may have found the loacation of the air leak problem.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by calysporot95 View Post
I drove my 530i daily for eight years. A leak in the air intake side of the system is likely. The big tube can crack and the leaks letting unmetered air into the system. Also look for a loose stainless hose clamp anywhere on the intake side.
Yup! One reason I got my E34 for so cheap was that it was running really rough at idle, when I popped the hood I saw that there was a missing clamp on the intake side of the inlet. Of course I didn't say anything to the seller... $2.10 later and the engine was purring like a kitten.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Zero spark from an entire cylinder bank??

Sounds like the DME is toasted to me.
1995 540i /6 speed.Black on black. Cold air intake/ Dinan tune/racing exhuast /545 SSK /3.15 with LSD / rev-shift racing motor mounts/stage 4, 6 puck clutch/ K Sport coil overs / 19" BBS LM's / suede sparco 368 steering wheel, Recaro bucket seats, sparco 4 point harnesses, NX wet kit, M/T drag slicks
"Skill can only get you so far, then comes money!"
R . I . P Paul Walker - 1973 - 2013