Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I don`t know about that....

BUT, plenty of 600-700+ HP hotrod engines survived on it for ages....

One way to tell would be to submit a synth sample, AND a dino sample, with the same miles on them, to Blackstone Labs....that should reveal any shortcomings, no ?
I've always wanted to send my oil to blackstone labs. I've never done it though.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Re: Not your normal oil change

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I've always wanted to send my oil to blackstone labs. I've never done it though.
Funny story, I still have a sample in a bottle in my garage, bottled up and ready to to them. It is from my 323 when it had 150k miles. That means it has been waiting for analysis for more than 5 years

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi
How many quarts do you go through in 109 yards...from a missed field goal. Sorry. Had to
Old 12-02-2013, 03:59 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Funny story, I still have a sample in a bottle in my garage, bottled up and ready to to them. It is from my 323 when it had 150k miles. That means it has been waiting for analysis for more than 5 years

LOL! I say you send it to them, trololol.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 12-02-2013, 04:17 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epislash View Post
How many quarts do you go through in 109 yards...from a missed field goal. Sorry. Had to
It's ok. Bama played terrible. You can't play like that and win on the road in the SEC.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
It's ok. Bama played terrible. You can't play like that and win on the road in the SEC.

LOL that game was even crazier than the U of M Ohio State game!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelx5150 View Post
LOL that game was even crazier than the U of M Ohio State game!
Indeed. And that was a good game. I heard on the local news people were sending Cade Foster (Bama's kicker) death threats. Kinda sad. Not to mention, if one of our lineman hadn't had a false start, he made that kick but it was called back. People are nuts.

Besides, Bama can't win ALL the national championships. I heard we lost on purpose because the new trophy case isn't finished being built yet and we don't have the room for another right now.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-12-2013, 06:28 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Just changed my oil (20 degrees outside is too cold for this Bama boy!) again for cycle number 4. So I have completed 3 cycles of 250 miles (roughly) each with the Penzoil, atf, seafoam concoction. No oil usage at all between intervals. I know, you may say "who uses oil in just 300 miles?". My car usually uses a qt every 400 miles, so ME!

I honestly feel like the combo of the catch can (helping keep the oil and intake charge cleaner) and the cleaners in my oil are doing the job of freeing up my oil rings. Time will tell but all signs say my problem is at least substantially better than it was.

More to come as I have to drive roughly 300 miles tomorrow and I will be ready for the final change and cycle of the mix. So by Monday I should be back on regular oil and then we will really see if this worked.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Just changed my oil (20 degrees outside is too cold for this Bama boy!) again for cycle number 4. So I have completed 3 cycles of 250 miles (roughly) each with the Penzoil, atf, seafoam concoction. No oil usage at all between intervals. I know, you may say "who uses oil in just 300 miles?". My car usually uses a qt every 400 miles, so ME!

I honestly feel like the combo of the catch can (helping keep the oil and intake charge cleaner) and the cleaners in my oil are doing the job of freeing up my oil rings. Time will tell but all signs say my problem is at least substantially better than it was.

More to come as I have to drive roughly 300 miles tomorrow and I will be ready for the final change and cycle of the mix. So by Monday I should be back on regular oil and then we will really see if this worked.
Is that with Kreen also?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:

What do your plugs look like now?
Old 12-13-2013, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
sounds pretty much like a variant of our "Bob's special" (i'm in the progress of running the dino. done almost 2k so far)
main differences are:
Bob's special:
1. only uses ATF for fast idle, not actual driving
2. no seafoam
3. only 1 iteration instead of 5
4. the iteration is much longer (3k instead of 250)

did i get that right, Bob? you did say 3000, not 300, right?

btw, i heard that when you buy a brand new ferrari, the odometer won't be a low number as normal new cars.
it will be at least 300 miles for ferrari to do the break-in for you on their track.
i wonder if what they do is along the line with the method here.

Last edited by e46_platform; 12-13-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:02 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
sounds pretty much like a variant of our "Bob's special" (i'm in the progress of running the dino. done almost 2k so far)
main differences are:
Bob's special:
1. only uses ATF for fast idle, not actual driving
2. no seafoam
3. only 1 iteration instead of 5
4. the iteration is much longer (3k instead of 250)

did i get that right, Bob? you did say 3000, not 300, right?
The difference (for me, anyway) is that in the past, I have used dino oil exclusively as an initial break-in procedure (for the first 3000 miles), I never tried an extensive mid-life resuscitation regimen like what Smolck is undertaking right now.

This is pretty much all speculation on my part, but after years of engine building, I can say that I feel the factory-approved break-in procedure (with synth oil) is detrimental to the long-term health of this engine. Common sense dictates a coorelation between "by-the-book" break-in, and excessive oil consumption later on down the line....

Just one guy`s view, nah`mean ?

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-13-2013, 06:59 AM
ROLL TIDE!

No Kreen yet. Reserving that for later....

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
The difference (for me, anyway) is that in the past, I have used dino oil exclusively as an initial break-in procedure (for the first 3000 miles), I never tried an extensive mid-life resuscitation regimen like what Smolck is undertaking right now.

This is pretty much all speculation on my part, but after years of engine building, I can say that I feel the factory-approved break-in procedure (with synth oil) is detrimental to the long-term health of this engine. Common sense dictates a coorelation between "by-the-book" break-in, and excessive oil consumption later on down the line....

After much research, headaches, heartaches, and thinking I have come to a different conclusion. And while I will say you are right on and I am sure the improper break in attributes to oil consumption, I think the EXTREME cases (like me and anyone who burns more than 1qt per couple thousand miles) are caused by something different.

My theory is that first and foremost, running BMW 15,000 mile intervals is a MAJOR factor. No oil (not magical BMW branded stuff, royal purple, castrol, mobil 1) can last for 15,000 miles. And even if the oil could, your FILTER can't. So that is one issue, nasty oil gets stuck in the oil control rings over time. You likely don't hear of this more because most people sell the car well before the abuse starts to catch up to the car (around 125k miles IMO).

Add to that the already crappy design of the CVV and the failures associated with that and you have the perfect storm. Oil condensation, nasty vapors, whatever, get collected and put back into your intake, contaminating the top portion of the motor, and ultimately making its way to the pistons as it gets left on the walls of the cylinder (where the oil rings can pick it up during the piston stroke). Then add the stuff the CVV puts back into your oil pan, and you have contamination from the bottom. When the CVV starts to fail, it is gradual, this means it stops working even remotely well long before it gets replaced.

Don't believe me? Have you ever seen the garbage that gets caked up in the dipstick tube from the CVV return? Do you think that stuff is GOOD for you oil?

So my car had all of those things before I owned it. A form of neglect if you will. I am seemingly reversing it, but at great cost, headache, and labor.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM
catso

Quote:
After much research, headaches, heartaches, and thinking I have come to a different conclusion. And while I will say you are right on and I am sure the improper break in attributes to oil consumption, I think the EXTREME cases (like me and anyone who burns more than 1qt per couple thousand miles) are caused by something different.

My theory is that first and foremost, running BMW 15,000 mile intervals is a MAJOR factor. No oil (not magical BMW branded stuff, royal purple, castrol, mobil 1) can last for 15,000 miles. And even if the oil could, your FILTER can't. So that is one issue, nasty oil gets stuck in the oil control rings over time. You likely don't hear of this more because most people sell the car well before the abuse starts to catch up to the car (around 125k miles IMO).

Add to that the already crappy design of the CVV and the failures associated with that and you have the perfect storm. Oil condensation, nasty vapors, whatever, get collected and put back into your intake, contaminating the top portion of the motor, and ultimately making its way to the pistons as it gets left on the walls of the cylinder (where the oil rings can pick it up during the piston stroke). Then add the stuff the CVV puts back into your oil pan, and you have contamination from the bottom. When the CVV starts to fail, it is gradual, this means it stops working even remotely well long before it gets replaced.

Don't believe me? Have you ever seen the garbage that gets caked up in the dipstick tube from the CVV return? Do you think that stuff is GOOD for you oil?

So my car had all of those things before I owned it. A form of neglect if you will. I am seemingly reversing it, but at great cost, headache, and labor.
Your theory makes alot of sense, especially the 15,000 mile interval problem.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
I like this discussion. I'm 2k into my fresh oil/filter change, and just now I'm starting to see occasional low oil light when I return home after a 30+ mile drive. I overfilled a bit (7 qts) at the last change, and it's now at the full mark. So not much used in 2k miles. Another 500 and it will likely be at the half-way mark on the stick, based on past experience.

That said, I have not had any other oil related issues like a clogged return tube, long change intervals, or failed CVV. I changed CVV recently, but all seemed fine. I am also using GC this time, not BMW Synthetic as I have all along.

I'm starting to think maybe a filter change and top-off at 2500 (or when it reaches the half-way mark) might be in order. A new filter = cleaner oil, right? I have a good stash of filters thanks to Amazon's prices.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
I cut my ccv in half after I removed it. It had to be original at 150k. There is what appears to be a vane that would barely turn, and coils that were 50% clogged. The dipstick return tube was clogged and I soaked it overnight in a straight lye and brakleen mix. What came out looked like a translucent firm gel. That catch can is looking better all the time. I've got maybe 300 miles since the last oil change and the oil is black, so this thread has my interest. Unfortunately, winter has set in, so my car is on the batt. tender for the near future.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo
VENDORS USED: ECSTuning, German Auto Solutions, Oembimmer, Amazon, Nationwide Auto Parts (salvage)
BMAauto, Autohausz
Old 12-13-2013, 12:23 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
I like this discussion. I'm 2k into my fresh oil/filter change, and just now I'm starting to see occasional low oil light when I return home after a 30+ mile drive. I overfilled a bit (7 qts) at the last change, and it's now at the full mark. So not much used in 2k miles. Another 500 and it will likely be at the half-way mark on the stick, based on past experience.

That said, I have not had any other oil related issues like a clogged return tube, long change intervals, or failed CVV. I changed CVV recently, but all seemed fine. I am also using GC this time, not BMW Synthetic as I have all along.

I'm starting to think maybe a filter change and top-off at 2500 (or when it reaches the half-way mark) might be in order. A new filter = cleaner oil, right? I have a good stash of filters thanks to Amazon's prices.
For your car I would personally do two things. #1. I agree, a 3000 mile oil filter replacement is massively cheap insurance. #2. I'd do a Lubro Moly Pro Line flush every other oil change, maybe even every oil change if you plan to run the stock CVV forever.

I KNOW the Lubro Moly works well to ungunk things. I have used 5 cans in 3000 miles. It hasn't caused any damage and no leaks or anything like that, so it is safe. If you were nervous you could do half a can.

It will help maintain what is likely a fairly clean engine. The problem isn't what you can see, it is what you can't see. And one other problem my solvent treatments have fixed is the red oil light staying on longer than I like during cold startup. This morning my car sat at 25 degrees all night with 10w40 weight DINO in it. When I fired it up this morning the red oil light went off in a flash. So I am thinking I am doing more good than I might realize.

Your car isn't using that much oil. But neither did mine till about 150k miles. Then it all went to hell. If I was you (or any M54 owner) I'd do a per-emptave strike.

I dare say all of you with near 100k miles would benefit from a cleaning cycle like I am doing. Or some version of it. Tonight I soak the pistons. Tomorrow I flush one more time and then back to Castrol 5w40 synthetic to see if I made any real progress.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-13-2013, 02:11 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catso View Post
What do your plugs look like now?
This. Roughly 8k miles worth of use. The last 3000 miles has been with the catch can/running the solvents etc.

Also should add, I pulled these to do a piston soak for the next 24 hours or so. I doubt I need it. When I checked the oil after my 320 mile interstate trip today, I had used ZERO. In the past, staying at roughly 3000 rpm on long trips was the worst consumption ever. Upwards of 1qt per 350-400 miles before. Now, it uses NONE! Piston soak might be overkill, but won't hurt either.

I can't wait to see if it keeps not using oil or if it starts to use some slowly over time. If it doesn't we may have a fix for all those oil consuming M54's out there. I should sell it as a kit and mark it up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0383.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	412310  

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:

Last edited by smolck; 12-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
I should sell it as a kit and mark it up!
You could call it "SMOIL"

I want to do the label for this kit....it would consist of a crossed penis and screwdriver logo, with the motto of: "If I can`t fix it, fcuk it !"

Yeah, Baybay !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-13-2013, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
That is what I switched to after the second cycle of changes. Walmart had it cheap, I needed something in a hurry so I used it. If anything the consumption was WORSE with the Shell Rotella T6. I have read where it has helped some, but for me it was no good. My situation is unique though. Honestly, given the amount of oil threads and threads on unsticking rings and so forth, I can say that I am not sure oil makes that much of difference, at least from a brand prospective. For me, I am more worried about a heavier oil that will hopefully slow consumption.

If I had a non-sticking oil ring motor (like my old 323 that for all its faults never used a DROP of oil in 255k miles) I would just use Castrol 0w30 or BMW stuff.
My experience with Rotella tracked yours. I got about 1000 miles before I needed a quart of oil again, which is about same as BMW oil. Am following your thread regarding dino oil and will do that if it works out for you, and I really hope it does.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:04 PM
catso

Quote:
You could call it "SMOIL"

I want to do the label for this kit....it would consist of a crossed penis and screwdriver logo, with the motto of: "If I can`t fix it, fcuk it !"

Yeah, Baybay !
Better copyright that "SMOIL" as soon as you can!
Old 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:

does that mean you sorta have a feeling that Smolck's master mechanic's method is probably more suitable for mid-life resuscitation regimen?
Old 12-14-2013, 07:24 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
does that mean you sorta have a feeling that Smolck's master mechanic's method is probably more suitable for mid-life resuscitation regimen?
I'll say the problem for me was not ring sealing. Remember, my compression and leakdown numbers were very good. The oil control rings get coked up with crap over time and stop scraping the walls of the cylinders so the oil gets burned instead of pulled back into the pan.

Our engines have individual oil squirters for each cylinder, so those oil control rings have a lot of oil to control.

So for me, freeing those up with solvents, flushes, and atf have been the difference maker. Also, I honestly think the Penzoil helps too. If you read the oil forums, the guys who really know their stuff say even plain old yellow bottle penzoil is damn good stuff. Lots of additives and things to help clean up dirty pistons and such.

Overall I have been optimistically happy with the results so far. Time will tell.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-17-2013, 06:40 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Ok, I did a fresh oil change today with just plain oil. Penzoil high mileage 10w40 dino oil.

I ran 250 miles, mostly interstate at 3200rpm. I didn't burn a drop! The plan is to run this for 2000 miles as a final "cleanse" cycle and then back to synthetic.

I honestly think this worked! I'm expecting to use 1qt per 2500 miles or so, I'd consider that a MAJOR win.

This is smolck approved as a way to reduce oil consumption safely and effectively.

Anyone want to help me trademark "smoil" ?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote: