Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-04-2013, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
Angry Elusive front-end noise

Ok. I have researched this forum for hours and have read so many posts on front end and driveshaft noise that my head is starting to spin. Every time I find someone who has posted their problem that is similar to mine, they did not post a follw-up with the diagnosis of thier problem. So, once and for all I would like to list my problem specifics and hopefully someone on this forum has had the EXACT same problem. Here goes:

--2006 325xi with 130,000 miles
--New front and rear brakes and wear sensors, etc.

1. The sound that I hear starts with forward straight movement and sounds like "whish,
whish, whish, whish", similar to the sound of a rusty rotor or rubbing brake pad. I
assure you that these are all in good working order.

2. The sound increases with speed as the car moves forward and I can no longer hear it
after about 15-20 MPH.

3. The sound increases with a left turn and there is NO sound with a right turn.

4. I do NOT hear the sound while turning or moving in reverse.

5. There is no pedal vibrations or squealing. Car stops on a dime and smoothly.

6. There is no rattling of any kind.

7. Four wheel alignment done recently.

8. No stones in brake area or bent brake dust shields.

9. No rubbing tires. Tires are about half tread run-flats

10. Had CV joints inspected and the boots are perfect and the joints are fine.

I would have bet the farm that the front right wheel bearing was going because of the noise increase with a left turn, BUT I paid $350.00 to replace the bearing and the noise was STILL there!!

I am within about an inch of losing my sanity! I don't want to waste any more $ guessing what items to replace. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had the EXACT same issue with their vehicle? It doesn't matter what BMW series you have because all basically have the same parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as would be the sleep that I will get back knowing what the problem is. Thanks all!!

Last edited by topcop94; 12-04-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
you didnt say that if you apply the brakes while moving forward the noise stops, foot on the gas and slightly on the brakes to keep the car moving, does the noise stop
Old 12-04-2013, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by topcop94 View Post
Ok. I have researched this forum for hours and have read so many posts on front end and driveshaft noise that my head is starting to spin. Everytime I find someone who has posted their problem that is similar tomine, they did not post a follw-up with the diagnosis of thier problem. So, once and for all I would like to list my problem specifics and hopefully someone on this forum has had the EXACT same problem. Here goes:

--2006 325xi with 130,000 miles
--New front and rear brakes and wear sensors, etc.

1. The sound that I hear starts with forward straight movement and sounds like "whish,
whish, whish, whish", similar to the sound of a rusty rotor or rubbing brake pad. I
assure you that these are all in good working order.

2. The sound increases with speed as the car moves forward and I can no longer hear it
after about 15-20 MPH.

3. The sound increases with a left turn and there is NO sound with a right turn.

4. I do NOT hear the sound while turning or moving in reverse.

5. There is no pedal vibrations or squealing. Car stops on a dime and smoothly.

6. There is no rattling of any kind.

7. Four wheel alignment done recently.

8. No stones in brake area or bent brake dust shields.

9. No rubbing tires. Tires are about half tread run-flats

10. Had CV joints inspected and the boots are perfect and the joints are fine.

I would have bet the farm that the front right wheel bearing was going because of the noise increase with a left turn, BUT I paid $350.00 to replace the bearing and the noise was STILL there!!

I am within about an inch of losing my sanity! I don't want to waste any more $ guessing what items to replace. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone had the EXACT same issue with their vehicle? It doesn't matter what BMW series you have because all basically have the same parts. Any help would be greatly appreciated as would be the sleep that I will get back knowing what the problem is. Thanks all!!
I used to have this EXACT problem on a Suburban I had... and mine turned out to be the Dust Shield.. It wasn't bent or damaged in any way... But for whatever reason, it would rub. The dealership took a grinder to it and fixed the problem once-and-for-all.

Is it possible to put your car on a lift, put the trans in neutral and rotate the tires manually to hear/see what's going on?

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 12-04-2013, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
My bet is wheel bearing, though you would still hear it regardless of speed but its pitch changes with speed

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
Can you jack up the car and rotate the front wheels by hand to listen for any metal to metal contact? The dust shield touching the rotor has happened in another of our vehicles. It's where I would look first.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:08 PM

Applying the brakes does not change the sound nor does putting the car in neutral. As for the dust shield rubbing, I don't believe that it is but I will double check on Sunday when a friend of mine puts it on a lift. It is all-wheel drive, so I don't think I can jack up one end of the car and spin the wheels. I could be wrong though. Also, I have spun the wheels and did not hear any metal on metal noises. I'll update with my findings on Sunday (Hopefully). Thanks gang.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Well I found out by searching about the serpentine belt hitting the subframe on 335 cars, Starting to scare me, so could your belt be hitting your frame,
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 AM

Hondo, Thx for the reply. I'll check the belts and pullys on Sunday when we put it in the air. I'll be glad when I finally figure this out.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 330i
Re: Elusive front-end noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
My bet is wheel bearing, though you would still hear it regardless of speed but its pitch changes with speed
I agree with this. At low speeds you may not hear it at all and reverse being at low speeds you are likely not to hear it at all. All though it was not the case with mine I had similar sounds and it turned out to be tire wear. I still have the sound actually. I have even had mine looked at by a BMW mechanic. He said it was simply tire wear.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-05-2013, 06:33 PM

The wheel bearing has already been replaced and wasn't the problem. As for the noise possibly being caused by tires, how does a tire make a friction type sound when it is not rubbing anything? Thanks for the idea. I'll see where it leads me.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:53 AM

Unless your driving a flying delorian your tires rub the ground and that could be the cause of your sound. You could simply try changing the tires.

Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM

Problem SOLVED!

Well, BROOKSBC, you were right on the noise coming from the tires. When we put the car on the lift and spun the tires, there was no noise. Then, after my mechanic and I checked the driveshaft, dust shields, rotors and e-brakes and all front end components, we then took the car for a test drive. He stood beside the car while I moved forward. He could clearly hear the strange noise coming from the tires. He said he had never heard tires make this kind of noise before and was shocked that the tires were the source of the rubbing noise. I then stood outside while he moved forward and I could also hear the sound clearly. We then rotated the tires and the noise seems to be gone or at least moved. I still plan on replacing the current Continental run-flats. It is hard to believe that the rubber on the pavement could cause a "metallic" sound. Oh well, thanks to everyone who took the time to post a helpful suggestion. Now I have my sanity back!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcop94 View Post
I still plan on replacing the current Continental run-flats. It is hard to believe that the rubber on the pavement could cause a "metallic" sound. Oh well, thanks to everyone who took the time to post a helpful suggestion. Now I have my sanity back!
If you wouldn't have said it I was gonna ask if that's what tires you had. Same tires I have. I'm just gonna wait till they NEED replaced before I change mine. I have learned to drown the noise out in order to save some money.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM

Yeah, I wish I could've just ignored the noise but I am very particular when it comes to fixing things that annoy me. I'm looking at replacing the old tires with the Atrezzo touring tires. I have read good things about them and they are very reasonable in price. My mechanic, who's finger I accidentally broke while searching for the source of my noise, can do four tires mounted and balanced for $425.00. Although that was before I broke his finger. LOL.