Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 330I
$1200 to replace a light?!?!

Hi everyone,
I just had an issue with my BMW330i 2006, and I thought this forum would be the best place to get a definitive answer.

PROBLEM
Right low beam - on sometimes from engine start to engine shut down, other times it would just stay off
Adaptive headlights - failed permanently

COST TO FIX
LCM - about $500
Labor - about $350
Programing - about $250
Other fees about $200
TOTAL - about $1200

MY CONCERN
Does this seem like a solution to the problem?
Could there be other ways of fixing this issue without spending this much?
And if this above service is needed, is the price reasonable?

Thank you in advance for your input!
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ryan View Post
Hi everyone,
I just had an issue with my BMW330i 2006, and I thought this forum would be the best place to get a definitive answer.

PROBLEM
Right low beam - on sometimes from engine start to engine shut down, other times it would just stay off

COST TO FIX
LCM - about $500
Labor - about $350
Programing - about $250
Other fees about $200
TOTAL - about $1200

MY CONCERN

Whoa PR! Count yourself lucky. Do you KNOW what happens to customers who question BMW Dealer Service?

Look, just pay the bill and consider yourself educated. Next time go to an Indy. Or, better, learn to DIY.

Good Lord. Your name could be entered in the Master Munich Blacklist. Once there, you're as good as cursed. Your BMW SOS system will be covertly activated, recording all conversation and GPS tagging all travel. Excursions beyond any speed limit are flagged to local law enforcement and your warranty, if any, invalidated based on gathered evidence.

Believe me, you don't want that. You don't EVER want that.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:36 AM

And another thing: Why not replace those Rube Goldberg adaptive lamp assy's with their low tech moving parts & motors with statically mounted LED arrays? Likely cost much less; failure remote.

Electronically controlled, angled LED's gently, progressively illuminate left/right just like "German Engineered" OEM wonderments. Believe I'll do a pair for my Jeep.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Whoa PR! Count yourself lucky. Do you KNOW what happens to customers who question BMW Dealer Service?

Look, just pay the bill and consider yourself educated. Next time go to an Indy. Or, better, learn to DIY.

Good Lord. Your name could be entered in the Master Munich Blacklist. Once there, you're as good as cursed. Your BMW SOS system will be covertly activated, recording all conversation and GPS tagging all travel. Excursions beyond any speed limit are flagged to local law enforcement and your warranty, if any, invalidated based on gathered evidence.

Believe me, you don't want that. You don't EVER want that.

Thanks for the reply.
I did take it to somewhere other than the dealer.
Also I've tried replacing the headlight. It's not as simple as I thought it would be. And plus I would have no idea how to program the car.
Could you please let me know if this is solution to the problem and what the cost to fix should be?
Thanks
And as for the blacklist thing. I have no idea what you're referring to.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.
I did take it to somewhere other than the dealer.
Also I've tried replacing the headlight. It's not as simple as I thought it would be. And plus I would have no idea how to program the car.
Could you please let me know if this is solution to the problem and what the cost to fix should be?
Thanks
And as for the blacklist thing. I have no idea what you're referring to.

* Loki OFF *

No idea what cost should be - recommend second opinion + explanation. Look at codes and read up here + E90POST. Any competent BMW Indy will have a code reader capable of BMW proprietary code readout. Google will be useful to you.

Coding forums - Goggle that - may illuminate the issue.

* Loki ON *

No idea? You will....you will....
Old 12-04-2013, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Dealership will want you to replace the whole headlight but they don't ever fix things. They replace...

Most likely the SMC II adaptive module has shorted due to water. Scan the frm and see which side the code points to. Buy a used module off eBay and code it in. If you're lucky, you may not even need coding. Price for a used SMC II should be around $100.

However, if this is your issue, your first move is to find and fix the leak. If you don't you will run into the same problem shortly down the road.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
Quote:
Hi everyone,

PROBLEM

COST TO FIX
LCM - about $500
Labor - about $350
Programing - about $250
Other fees about $200
TOTAL - about $1200

MY CONCERN

this will eventually happen, its just a matter of time, sorry to hear.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i
I have seen that there are replacment lense assemblies that are fixed for around $400.00 each! I pray that mine don't go out after the warranty. Are these things all one piece, plug and play, or is there a part that goes onto the back of the assembly that can be replaced. I think it is an awesome feature with my drive home at night through a canyon but I can make it home with regular headlights just as well. Ouch!

Maybe this will help:

"I just dealt with this issue on a client's car after a collision repair. The problem was simply the control module on the underside of the headlight. It controls the adaptive headlights for cornering and adjusting the Xenon lights up or down, triggered by sensors on the front lower control arms.

It is a poor deign because water is always on the bottom of the headlight housing and will find its way into the module. The module is about $100.

It took me a couple of days to figure it out but I was not going to release the car until I figured it out.

Call me and I will give you the part# that will fix it. I asked the dealer if they stocked it and they had 10 on the shelf. What does that tell you? Selling you the whole headlight is very concerning.

Ron Philleaux
DETAILS,LTD.
AUTOMOTIVE COLLISION REPAIR
15508 Midway Road
Addison,Tx 75001
972.392.2277"

Last edited by sptt144; 12-06-2013 at 08:32 PM.