Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 328 xi Coupe
Left daytime running/parking lamp (Bulbs are fine)

I recently (5 months back) purchased an 07 328xi coupe from a private dealer. I was told that the left halo bulb was out and that it would be a cheap fix. I went ahead and purchased the car thinking there was no real issue. Eventually, the Left daytime running/parking lamp error turned into a Right daytime running/parking lamp error which eventually turned into a "Right turn signal" error. The point is, the bulb clearly isn't the issue. To be sure, I took the car to a mechanic friend of mine who confirmed both bulbs are fine.

The errors come on when I turn the engine on, but sometimes occur while I'm driving too.

I am wondering, what are some possible issues that could cause the above errors? Does this sound like a wiring issue or perhaps something worse? I'm afraid to bring the car to a dealer who will charge me $100+ an hour just to find the source of the problem.

As a follow up, if I live with the constant errors being thrown in the car, could this issue turn into something potentially serious?

I appreciate the help, thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 12-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well I am sure you dont want to hear this but, never purchase a car with a know issue until it is fixed or with something in writing that when the issue is resolved then you will purchase the car or what ever the fix is the dealer will pay for the repairs. Now what to do,,,, go back to the dealer and see if they will fix the issue, Highly unlikely but worth a try and if they say no and there are a lot of people on the lot raise hell and make a big deal in front of everyone and run people off and they might change their mind, next thing if that fails get a code reader and read the codes and see what the issue is. other than that maybe some one else can give you guidance on your problem but it could be an expensive fix

good luck
Old 12-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post
well I am sure you dont want to hear this but, never purchase a car with a know issue until it is fixed or with something in writing that when the issue is resolved then you will purchase the car or what ever the fix is the dealer will pay for the repairs. Now what to do,,,, go back to the dealer and see if they will fix the issue, Highly unlikely but worth a try and if they say no and there are a lot of people on the lot raise hell and make a big deal in front of everyone and run people off and they might change their mind, next thing if that fails get a code reader and read the codes and see what the issue is. other than that maybe some one else can give you guidance on your problem but it could be an expensive fix

good luck
Alright, I'll ask him if he'd be willing to help cover the cost to fix the issue. I'd imagine this is a long shot but thanks for the tip.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Check all electrical contacts. Clean and reseat.

Worst case, faulty FRM. In which you need a new module coded in. Can be bought used off eBay, CL, etc. Revision doesn't matter but the newer, the better.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 Rear Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Check all electrical contacts. Clean and reseat.

Worst case, faulty FRM. In which you need a new module coded in. Can be bought used off eBay, CL, etc. Revision doesn't matter but the newer, the better.
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I did some research and the footwell module definitely sounds like it could be the cause of my issues. Of course, I'd need to diagnose this to be sure. Is this something that someone with little experience with cars could diagnose or am I going to have to take this to an Indy?

Also, if you could estimate - what would the cost of replacing and recoding the FRM be? The Indy will most likely charge me ~$100 / hr.