Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
TPMS Receiver failure

Driving home after Thanksgiving (about 400-miles), I had the TPMS receiver failure warning come on about four times. It would come on, then maybe 20-30 miles later, go off (it's hard to say exactly - it generates a warning when it fails, but only turns the fault light off with no fanfare when it starts to work again). It repeated that at random during the trip. While it was indicating a fault, I had the car send a service request to the dealer. First time I'd done that. It said 'gathering data' for maybe 3-minutes or so before it transmitted.

The dealer sent me an e-mail the next day saying to call them if I needed service, or to ignore it if it was a 'mistake'. Made an appointment for next week to have it looked at.

Anyone know what is in that report? The guy I talked to said not much. IF that was it, I wonder why it takes the computer so long to collect data!?

Anyway, each time it returned to working, the tire pressure showed green.

It did this one time maybe 6-months ago, then had been working without fault since until this incident.

Anyone else have anything similar ever happen to them?
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
I can only speak from having worked on RAS for enterprise software. That 3 minutes could have been more running diagnostics, waiting for returned data and gathering a bunch of status information all saying the car's system are normal. So the service person had nothing to bite into so to speak. Just guessing.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:12 PM

Well, one thing I omitted was that I am using TPMS sensors from Tire Rack in my winter tire/wheel package. They worked fine for two seasons, but gave intermittent failure on this last trip. It had failed momentarily months ago, but I do not remember which set of tires/wheels were on the vehicle at the time.

It's not clear to me now about the warning message. I assumed a failed receiver was the vehicle, not the wheel component, especially since they all went off at once. But, apparently, the system is dumb, and if one wheel sensor fails, it stops reading ALL of the sensors, so it's not even easy to figure out which one is bad. That seems counterintuitive, since eventually, they all worked again without shutting the car off during the trip. Then, if they were OEM sensors, they'd all have to be replaced, since they've changed things, and then the vehicle would need to be reprogrammed to respond to them. I'm hoping that they continue to work, at least most of the time, as they said installing OEM sensors and reprogramming the vehicle is $787, a price I won't be paying. We'll see if I get a failure event in the spring when the OEM wheels/tires go back on...I have to get the car inspected before the summer tires go back on, so don't really want to deal with new sensors and reprogramming. THen, the new sensors and programming may be incompatible with the old sensors on the OEM wheels, and they may want me to pay to replace them as well. Think I need to talk to Tire Rack.

On a side issue, the auto hold functionality had started to get quite grabby. To get that to work a year or so ago, they recalibrated things. Well, there's a software fix for that now, and they reprogrammed the vehicle, and then calibrated it. I only live a short distance from the dealer, and didn't drive far, but it does seem much smoother. The combination of auto hold and the regenerative alternator function made it hard to come to a smooth, lurch-free stop.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
The system does not make it easy to detect which TPMS has a bad battery. That battery is internal, and requires the purchase of a new TPMS. My Indy mechanic plugged in his massive OBD tool, and I let air out of each tire to determine which sensor was not working. He watched his diagnostic tool to find the tire position that did not show to loose air pressure. He charged me $60 to diagnose that and a window regulator issue. I purchased a new BMW TPMS from The BMW Parts Store for $79. My tire guy installed the TPMS for $30, and my Indy mechanic reset the system for $60.

Jadnashuanh thanks for the info on the Auto Hold software update. I noticed a bit of a stick in transition the other day. Obviously will have to drop bye the dealer for that. Great info from you as always.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM

I found it interesting that the system reports it as a receiver issue, then shuts down, not showing the output form ANY sensor at all, unless all of them decided to fail at once (unlikely!).

Anyway, after driving around today, they finally reset and are working again (as they did on their own the other times).

I think they have to be working to pass the state inspection...hope it doesn't decide to happen just then...