Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-05-2013, 03:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328XI
Exclamation Help with Pricing!!!

So i recently had to get my 2007 328xi towed to a dealership in upstate NY, Keeler BMW in Schenectady. (not my home dealership). My car could start. They told me that I need a new Eccentric Shaft Sensor. They told me the bill would be about 1,285 (parts labor and tax included).

Maybe because it is my first BMW it seems like a lot but will BMW cover any of this!? Or should i try to talk the dealership down - are they ripping me off slightly? I have read that estimates for this type of repair could even run as high as 1,900 so maybe i should be grateful.

I bought the car with 66,000 mi 2 months ago. Private seller. It is no longer under any warranties that I am aware of. But I know sometimes if its a common issue BMW reduce the price or pay part.

Basically I'm asking am I getting ripped off and is there any thing i can do to reduce the price (besides finding a good local indy shop from now on).

Thanks
Galla10188
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well if its a plug and play type repair, unbolt one sensor plug in the other and drive off, put it on yourself in the parking lot or have it towed to an indy shop if they wont come down on the price
Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
If you're not comfortable working on something like this, you may want to think 2X about DYI. While replacing the sensor itself is quite easy, getting to it is a PITA.

You could always call BMW customer service and see if they'll goodwill any of the repair. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galla10188 View Post

So i recently had to get my 2007 328xi towed to a dealership in upstate NY, Keeler BMW in Schenectady. (not my home dealership). My car could start. They told me that I need a new Eccentric Shaft Sensor. They told me the bill would be about 1,285 (parts labor and tax included).

Maybe because it is my first BMW it seems like a lot but will BMW cover any of this!? Or should i try to talk the dealership down - are they ripping me off slightly? I have read that estimates for this type of repair could even run as high as 1,900 so maybe i should be grateful.

I bought the car with 66,000 mi 2 months ago. Private seller. It is no longer under any warranties that I am aware of. But I know sometimes if its a common issue BMW reduce the price or pay part.

Basically I'm asking am I getting ripped off and is there any thing i can do to reduce the price (besides finding a good local indy shop from now on).

Thanks
Galla10188

Are you a Liberal, also expecting free medical care?

Surprise!

If work ethic happens to strike, look HERE -- the cost effective, self reliant way to go. Highly recommended. Cures most ills.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
There is no free lunch I'm afraid.

People spend crazy money a month to buy these kind of cars new to be covered from things like this.

You decided to not buy new and bought used so you bought the car for a lot less then it was new. This in turn means you are out of any kind of warranty and the money you saved not buying new will have to be socked away for future repairs.

The goal is to hopefully come out ahead buying used vs. buying new, you could still end up ok in the long run but for now you're going to have to bite the bullet and pay someone to fix it or you'll have to park the car, drive another car and slowly fix the car yourself.

I've never bought a car new FWIW but then again I made sure I had a few other vehicles to drive and my used BMW is really my fun/extra car.
This means if it comes down to it I could just park the car in the garage and fix it as money came in or fix it myself without the pressure of it being my only car.

Last edited by Miller335; 12-05-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Robin128
Mein Auto: 335i auto, Volvo T5 man
Got the t shirt for DIY eg Mini 1000 clutch.

Nowadays it's down to BMW warranty or wallet.

One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.