Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3,X5d,750Li,E93,1200RT&C
Blown oil line on new E93 on delivery

How do we explain this except with bad luck, poor material QC and/or poor dealer prep for delivery. 335i with sport.
Got car on day 1 with 17 miles on clock 5 driven by me, raining so just parking in garage after delivery home. Day 2 and 3 driving normally and out of curiosity popping hood and finding oil all over engine.
Drove to dealer left the car and they first suspected loose cap, hello you could see it was not loose. Then when asking 2 days later I did get message that line had blown. Probably small hole that grew in size. Parts on order...

So now car with say 200 miles returned with this, how do I make sure nothing ( like turbos lacking cooling?) has been damaged, that all is cleaned up, also where u cannot see it and so on? I obviously got a faulty car should I get another one as this is not like a new car, to me. Fasteners are now opened not possibly put back etc etc .....

Loved the car for as long as it lasted, don't know if I would trust it now.

Dealer has so far been accomodating so what's next?
Ads by Google
Old 12-08-2013, 06:18 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Nothing was injured. No lights, no warnings, and you would have had to had an oil slick all the way into the garage to have deprived anything of lube. It was a pinhole leak and that's why the oil vaporized and went everywhere. I'm surprised you didn't smell it, especially if it got on the exhaust manifold.
It's an easy fix, and they'll clean it up like new when done. No worries. And you are driving a spiffy loaner in the meantime, right?
Old 12-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Bimmers View Post
How do we explain this except with bad luck, poor material QC and/or poor dealer prep for delivery. 335i with sport.
Got car on day 1 with 17 miles on clock 5 driven by me, raining so just parking in garage after delivery home. Day 2 and 3 driving normally and out of curiosity popping hood and finding oil all over engine.
Drove to dealer left the car and they first suspected loose cap, hello you could see it was not loose. Then when asking 2 days later I did get message that line had blown. Probably small hole that grew in size. Parts on order...

So now car with say 200 miles returned with this, how do I make sure nothing ( like turbos lacking cooling?) has been damaged, that all is cleaned up, also where u cannot see it and so on? I obviously got a faulty car should I get another one as this is not like a new car, to me. Fasteners are now opened not possibly put back etc etc .....

Loved the car for as long as it lasted, don't know if I would trust it now.

Dealer has so far been accommodating so what's next?

Paranoia strikes deep!

Name:  Shock [01].jpg
Views: 203
Size:  3.2 KB

But, hey, it was luck o'the draw. I'd say hold out for a good will upgrade to M3/4 but it ain't gonna happen - warranty did its thing and you'll be back on the road.
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92
Not a good way to start are relationship out but I'm sure things will be much smoother here on out once this is resolved.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Nothing was injured. No lights, no warnings, and you would have had to had an oil slick all the way into the garage to have deprived anything of lube. It was a pinhole leak and that's why the oil vaporized and went everywhere. I'm surprised you didn't smell it, especially if it got on the exhaust manifold.
It's an easy fix, and they'll clean it up like new when done. No worries. And you are driving a spiffy loaner in the meantime, right?
+1. Just make sure the engine compartment was detailed before you accept the car from the dealership.

Personally, I would be more worried about top leaks.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Bad luck.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Bad luck.
Yup. BMW probably works to a 99.97% quality level. The OP got one of the three in 10,000 with a serious problem.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:58 PM

Sounds right. No smell but oil everywhere and I am going to check the clean up also under the car.
Loaner was first a 328 base not very impressive but got an upgrade to 750 when visiting them again. A great car compared also to my own older 750.

Thx for the support.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Yup. BMW probably works to a 99.97% quality level. The OP got one of the three in 10,000 with a serious problem.
Hopefully the oil line is the only problem the OP experiences. My ex-E93 was most certainly one of the three in 10,000, but it had multiple serious problems. It qualified for lemon law treatment under the 4 failed repair attempts and more than 30 days total time in the shop rules.

Last edited by anE934fun; 12-08-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:25 AM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
About half of us here may have gotten one of the three in 10,000 with a serious problem!

I wouldn't worry about the long term effects though. The oil return line O ring on my Volvo's turbo fails with some regularity, and the car has over 200k on the odometer. The way I can tell it's leaking is by the smell, and it makes a big mess without lowering the oil level significantly.

Ask the BMW dealer to make it up to you with some free stuff. Maybe some winter floor mats and a trunk mat.
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Hopefully the oil line is the only problem the OP experiences. My ex-E93 was most certainly one of the three in 10,000, but it had multiple serious problems. It qualified for lemon law treatment under the 4 failed repair attempts and more than 30 days total time in the shop rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
About half of us here may have gotten one of the three in 10,000 with a serious problem!

I wouldn't worry about the long term effects though. The oil return line O ring on my Volvo's turbo fails with some regularity, and the car has over 200k on the odometer. The way I can tell it's leaking is by the smell, and it makes a big mess without lowering the oil level significantly.

Ask the BMW dealer to make it up to you with some free stuff. Maybe some winter floor mats and a trunk mat.
When you join a support group it's usually for the support.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:08 PM

so far so good, got message car is fixed, Oil line coupler from cooler failed, cleaned in shop sent to detailing for further cleaning.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Hypothetical question for the group based loosely on the OP's facts:

You buy a brand new 335i from a dealer. On the way home a fuel injector sticks in the open position and fills the cylinder with gas causing the engine to hydraulic and fail catastrophically. Car needs new motor with 110 miles on the ticker. Dealer offers new engine and a spiffy loaner while you wait. ETA is about 28 days total on the repair. What do you enthusiasts want in this situation?
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post

You buy a brand new 335i from a dealer. On the way home a fuel injector sticks in the open position and fills the cylinder with gas causing the engine to hydraulic and fail catastrophically. Car needs new motor with 110 miles on the ticker. Dealer offers new engine and a spiffy loaner while you wait. ETA is about 28 days total on the repair. What do you enthusiasts want in this situation?
Call BMW NA and ask for an exchange on your car?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post

I would demand a new car.