Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1991 BMW 325ic convertibl
bogs down a little

I have a 91 325i vert. I had the timing belt replaced about 2 weeks ago. It ran fine for a few days. Now it starts and drives fine but it is running rough and the exhaust is louder (no hole in exhaust.).I am still able to drive it on the freeway, but it is still is not right. I took it back to where I had t-belt replaced and he seems to think the problem is the mass air flow sensor. From what I have , read, it doesnt have the symptoms of a bad MAF. It idles fine, check engine light didnt come on , etc... Really dont want to spend money on new one if its not the problem.

It almost feels like something in exhaust is clogged. Its only like 3 years old though.

It is still drivable but would really like to get the problem fixed.
Any suggestions on things to check would be helpful
Thanks
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
exhaust louder with symptoms of clogged exhaust tells me an exhaust gasket went, either a doughnut or manifold gasket.

i would jack up one side and feel around the connection points to see if you have an exhaust leak. i had one on the top side after the cat that was a b to find, but new gasket and all was fine
Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 PM
Aspiring dolphin

Mein Auto: '90 325iC
bogs down a little

You also might want to check for a vacuum leak. Mine did the same thing, except a ton worse, and lo and behold, the idiots in my auto class thought it'd be funny to take out my intake boot.
For you though, since the timing belt was replaced, I'd check the valve cover to see if it is completely sealed and not leaking. It's very possible that the mechanic didn't do the correct torque pattern or something.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-10-2013, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 325i 2dr&DucatiMonster
First is this a BMW shop that replaced your timing belt? Did you have problems with driveability before you took it to them? I hope the answer to #1 is yes and # 2 is no but even if #1 is no they should still be responsible for any damage they did to your car while they where "fixing" it .If you didn't have a car that sputtered and ran badly when you took there your Air Meter was fine.It didn't magically go bad ,it may have magically gotten dropped on the floor ,but I guessing you didn't take it off and do that.If they can't find any exhaust leaks with it on a lift ,and you say it sounds loud it likely is a vacuum leak your hearing.So you need to have them find the leak and if your air meter is bad they should replace it (they broke it).