Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Question Are roof-rail and aluminum trim are standard on X3?

I'd like to have two options, roof-rail and aluminum trim, on my X3. I thought that they are options with code 3AT and 4AD respectively. When I talked to a dealer to get a quote, he said the following:

Quote:
Roof-rails are standard. The 3AT option is to make them silver in color. The aluminum trim is standard, the brushed aluminum is an option.
Is this true? I'm going to order a car, so I want to make sure that what comes in the future is what I'm expecting. If what he said is true, then I'll go without these two options, since the color of the roof-rail doesn't matter to me. Neither is the "brushedness" of the aluminum trim, which I don't know that it means. The car I test drove has the brushed aluminum trim and I liked it.

Last edited by bitcalc; 12-15-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-15-2013, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
I'd like to have two options, roof-rail and aluminum trim, on my X3. I thought that they are options with code 3AT and 4AD respectively. When I talked to a dealer to get a quote, he said the following:

Is this true? I'm going to order a car, so I want to make sure that what comes in the future is what I'm expecting. If what he said is true, then I'll go without these two options, since the color of the roof-rail doesn't matter to me. Neither is the "brushedness" of the aluminum trim, which I don't know that it means. The car I test drove has the brushed aluminum trim and I liked it.
Roof rails are definitely not standard. You have to buy them for 250 dollars, which you can see in BMW website when you configure a car.

I am not quite sure what the aluminum trim refers to - the interior trim? I think they do not cost money if you want to get brushed aluminum trim interior. for the exterior window trim, you do need to pay extra to get the brushed aluminum trim around the windows. For me, the website configuration is 100% accurate for me based on my experience.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:28 PM

The aluminum trim refers to the interior. BMW web site uses the Silver Matte Trim as standard and the "Brushed Aluminum Trim" as an option. I checked the pictures of the specs I took when test driving the car, I couldn't found that it was marked as "brushed aluminum trim." I guess that it's the silver matte, but it is so close to the brushed aluminum (you really can't tell the difference from the web site) that I thought it was brushed aluminum and the salesperson thought that it was aluminum. A good way to confuse both the customer and the salesperson.

I'll definitely select the roof-rail.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Perhaps you told the dealer that you want the MSport package (which includes roof rails). Otherwise, if you don't order 3AT as an option, you will get an X3 without roof rails. e.g., see this thread.

The aluminum trim (4AD) is one of the interior trim options.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:35 PM

No, I'm ordering a 28i without MSport. I'll consider M Sport with 35i, not on 28i.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Are roof-rail and aluminum trim are standard on X3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcalc View Post
No, I'm ordering a 28i without MSport. I'll consider M Sport with 35i, not on 28i.
35 Msport is way to go. Beast baby!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i
As has been stated both Roof Rails and Brushed Aluminum trim are options on the 28i. I would heartily recommend ordering the roof rails as you never know when you might need them and they will cost much more than $250 to add later.
2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x3 28i
I agree, order the rails. My dealer wants $1600 to install them, not worth it now. If I'm going somewhere where I need a roof rack, I'll take my jeep or my truck
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5 M Sport
Are roof-rail and aluminum trim are standard on X3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfan View Post
As has been stated both Roof Rails and Brushed Aluminum trim are options on the 28i. I would heartily recommend ordering the roof rails as you never know when you might need them and they will cost much more than $250 to add later.
If you are buying rails are a must. Without them resale value will suffer

If a lease no impact other than aesthetics

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Current Ride: 2015 X5 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2014 X3 3.5 M Sport
Retired: 2011 X5 Sport
Retired: 2008 X5 3.0si
Retired: 2006 330 Xi
Retired: 2003 325 'Vert
Retired: 2000 323 Ci