Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-12-2013, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i MT
Navigation, Hard drive and CD player problem

I have a 2009 E92 335i with approximately 31K miles. The 4/50 warranty expired July 2013, but I have the BMW Platinum Extended Warranty until 70K or 2016. The Navigation System acts like it can not load. The CD player can not see a loaded CD and I can't access music stored on the hard drive. The radio and the idrive display seem to work fine.
I can still control the the radio, ie AM or FM band select, from the CD player faceplate. Anyone have any ideas what is going on? Is there a fuse that supplies only the CD player and hard drive components of the system? Would hate to take it to the dealer to have them change a fuse. I have searched the forums and didn't come up with anything similar. I will continue seaching on Google, but if anyone has had a similar situation or just has ideas please chime in. Thank you.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2013, 09:01 AM

I am leaning towards a bad hard drive.
My plan is as follows:
1) check to see if cell phone contacts will or will not download. If they don't download, that will also be an indication of a bad or inaccessible hard drive. 2) Do anyone know if the hard drive has a fuse of its own, if so and it is blown, that could explain the problem. I will take a look at the fuses.
3)Perform a BMW OBD scan to see if an codes were thrown. I doubt it.
4)Perform a CIC reset by holding down the Mute/Volume button for 25 seconds just incase a glitch messed up the accessiblity for the hard drive. I do recall having one and only one 'Red Screen" glitch recently.
5)If all else fails, take advantage of my extended Platinum Warranty and maybe have it pay for itself in a single visit.

I'll update if I find anything interesting.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:08 AM
cgmiller63

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
I had a similar issuse with my 2008 just before my 4/50 warranty ran out. I purchased the updated navagation dvd and the unit would not read the disk. The dealer ended up replacing the unit under warranty. When I was researching this issue in forums I believe I read that the unit is not covered under the CPO warranty but I could be wrong.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM

I believe you are correct, but I have the Platinum Extended Warranty. Electronics coverage, including entertainment and nav, is what differentiates the Platinum from the Gold coverage.
Your car probably had a non hard drive equipped CCC controller(8/2008 and earlier) , mine has a CIC hard drive equipped controller, a different animal. Thanks for the response.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 328xi Coupe
I had a hard drive failure in my '09 earlier this year. The car was six months out of warranty and as mentioned, the CPO doesn't cover electronics. My situation was different from yours, I had the system constantly re-booting itself (red BMW splash screen). No nav, tunes, nada.
There were some "power to the screen" error codes stored in the computer if I remember correctly. I'd have to peek at the invoice again, but that does ring a bell. This happened about a week before I had the battery cable recall done. I'm convinced that the faulty cable played a role but who knows. Bottom line: the quote to remove and replace the CIC was $1400.
I caught a break when the dealership that sold me the car did a good will repair and picked up the cost of the CIC unit, which was $950 of the $1400. The unit wasn't even brand new, it was refurbished but did come with BMW's 2 year, unlimited mileage warranty.
Hopefully things won't be as bad for you. Good luck!