Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-12-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, X3
Made Switch to Non Run-Flat Tires

After much unhappiness with the ride quality of my 2011 328i coupe due the the lack of compliance over rough surfaces, I decided to switch to regular tires. I gave thought to opting for a slightly higher profile to improve the ride but in the end opted for the std. 225/45/17'. I chose Pirelli P7's and also purchased a clever Continental flat repair kit which includes a pump which plugs into a lighter socket, pressure meter and can of sealant all contained in a slick plastic box not much bigger than a six pack. The ride and handling have been transformed, I only wish I had done this 28K miles ago. This is the way the car should have handled out of the box. The flat kit gives me the peace of mind I need without having to carry a mini spare and jack. The tires are about half the price and readily available in comparison. If you live in an area lacking pristine road surfaces, I urge you to consider making the switch.
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I also live in NYC (Manhattan). I ditched the RFTs on my 335i when the car was 3 weeks old. It make a huge difference but installing Koni FSD dampers took it to the next lever. I now have the car I thought I bought and that BMW should have produced.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X6 35i
Made Switch to Non Run-Flat Tires

When you guys switch to the non RFT tire, did you guys have any lights or sensors come up on the dash?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Previous Cars:
1998 BMW 328i -Gone
2006 BMW X3 25i -Gone
2006 BMW X3 30i -Gone
2005 BMW X5 3.0 -Gone
Current Cars:
2012 BMW X1 28i
2012 BMW X6 35i
2011 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic
2010 Lexus IS 250 F-Sport
Old 12-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskylitDrive View Post
When you guys switch to the non RFT tire, did you guys have any lights or sensors come up on the dash?

No. The non RFTs work fine with the TPMS sensors.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-12-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I also live in NYC (Manhattan). I ditched the RFTs on my 335i when the car was 3 weeks old. It make a huge difference but installing Koni FSD dampers took it to the next lever. I now have the car I thought I bought and that BMW should have produced.
Like OP, I am also unhappy with the ride quality of my 335i due the the lack of compliance over rough surfaces. It feels like jumpy/choppy over some rough spots in my commute that I barely noticed with my X5. And I suspect it is due to the suspension. I plan to switch to go flat tires once the run flats wear out, but I am interested in a suspension upgrade.

Captain, do you think Koni FSD dampers would definitely improve/solve my jumpy/choppiness issue? What's the cost including labor that I should expect?

Last edited by 53K; 12-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskylitDrive View Post

yes there is a Happy Face light on the dash

I can't turn it off... it keeps smiling
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53K View Post
Like OP, I am also unhappy with the ride quality of my 335i due the the lack of compliance over rough surfaces. It feels like jumpy/choppy over some rough spots in my commute that I barely noticed with my X5. And I suspect it is due to the suspension. I plan to switch to go flat tires once the run flats wear out, but I am interested in a suspension upgrade.

Captain, do you think Koni FSD dampers would definitely improve/solve my jumpy/choppiness issue? What's the cost including labor that I should expect?
I don't know what the result would be with Koni FSD dampers and RFTs as I switched out the RFTs for go flats before I installed the Konis.

I purchased my 2007 335i with sport suspension in Palm Beach Florida and had no issue with the suspension on the relatively pristine South Florida roads. After a month in Florida I had the car shipped to my home in Manhattan. The car was for all practical purposes undriveable on the war ravaged NYC roads. Driving it was so unpleasant that I was about to get rid of the car in spite of the fact that I would take a huge financial hit. I joined a BMW internet forum and expressed my concern and several posters suggested that I replace the run flats with go flats. I purchased a set of Pirelli P_Zero Nero tires and sold the RFTs. The non RFTs made a significant improvement in ride quality but I still experienced "Pothole Explosions" and bouncing around on rough surfaces.

As soon as they became available for the E93 I had Koni FSDs installed and they have been on the car for two years now. I have not had a Pothole Explosion, bent a rim (I bent four with the stock dampers on the car) or damaged a tire (I had to replace 4 with the stock dampers on the car). In 2012 when I replaced the Pirellis with Continental DWS three of the Pirellis had tears in the sidewalls (they had spent most of their life with the stock dampers on the car).

At this point I have a car that handles better than stock and has significantly better ride quality. I don't remember what I paid for the FSDs but it was around $760. I purchased them from Mod Bargains. As I recall installation was around $600. I think it was well worth the money I spent.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-12-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by piniongear View Post
After much unhappiness with the ride quality of my 2011 328i coupe due the the lack of compliance over rough surfaces, I decided to switch to regular tires. I gave thought to opting for a slightly higher profile to improve the ride but in the end opted for the std. 225/45/17'. I chose Pirelli P7's and also purchased a clever Continental flat repair kit which includes a pump which plugs into a lighter socket, pressure meter and can of sealant all contained in a slick plastic box not much bigger than a six pack. The ride and handling have been transformed, I only wish I had done this 28K miles ago. This is the way the car should have handled out of the box. The flat kit gives me the peace of mind I need without having to carry a mini spare and jack. The tires are about half the price and readily available in comparison. If you live in an area lacking pristine road surfaces, I urge you to consider making the switch.
+1 I converted less than 4 months into ownership and have absolutely no regrets. With sports suspension + 18 inch run flats + crap roads my car had the compliance little better than a forklift. Amazing the difference a set of tyres can make to a car.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

I too was Born Again. Yes, there are others like you, Brother!

Blessed are those who follow the way of the ComfortKit, for salvation shall be theirs. But for the quick and lasting fix [click here]

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-13-2013 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

When you're ready for much more capability do this

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 12-13-2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
OP- Good for you. But newer loaners I've been getting, that obviously come with RFTs, have left me more and more impressed with the improved ride quality of these tires. Best of luck and drive safely!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 328xi
I'll Be switching My RF tires in about 30k miles... They make the car feel really cumbersome . And they're expensive as hell lol.

Last edited by Greggl52; 12-13-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:01 AM

Thanks CA for the info. I am definitely going to do this when I switch out the tires to go flat. I currently have RFT version of PilotSport (forgot the actual name, PPS??) which I think is pretty good for RFT, so I think the 'choppy/bounciness' that I hate is more due to the suspension than the tires.
I can just ignore the brake squeal, but something needs to be done with suspension.. I guess we just have to accept that the suspension tuning was compromised during the design stage due to introduction of first gen RFT...
Old 12-13-2013, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

When you're ready for much more capability do this

Awesome post
Old 12-13-2013, 06:19 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Some of us just opted for the F30. It feels like you are driving on a cloud.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Anyone have any real world experience in using one of these kits to repair a flat?I'm interested to know how well they work.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Anyone have any real world experience in using one of these kits to repair a flat?I'm interested to know how well they work.
They work surprisingly well. I frequently use it just to fill up my tires when needed. If you had a complete flat, it would take quite a while to completely inflate. I bought mine for $40 on Amazon.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
The one time I got stranded by a flat there was a tear in the tire and the sealant leaked out. I had to call a tow truck.

I use the compressor regularly to bring the tires up to the proper pressure. It works fine.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 12-13-2013, 09:21 AM
cgmiller63

Mein Auto: 2008 328i
I also ditched my runflat tires a couple of months after I bought the car. It made a huge difference in the way the car handles.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
+1 CA

I switched to my go-flat winters last week and they feel solid yet squirmy (probably due to mostly to tread depth). But the ride quality has been night & day.

Though I really like the planted feeling of the RFT that came stock. Yes, I did feel slightly "jarred" on the drive to LGA this summer, but I rarely hit the city roads. So I'll make a decision when they wear out.

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!

Last edited by stones399; 12-13-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
C'mon guys, don't be pricks. BMW drivers already get bad rap without this. You know, somebody HAS to pay for development of a beta version of the product so that less fortunate huddled masses of tomorrow can have safer tire to drive on. You should feel proud to pay through the nose for a sh*itty and inferior product - because this will allow debugging and reaching economies of scale so that this superior safe tire can be available to less fortunate ones at a reasonable price in the future.

Don't be pricks, stay on RFT. Let's show the world we BMW drivers have soul.

Yes, that was heavy sarcasm. I'm on my second set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires and BMW would need to pay me (not just provide RFT free of charge) a very large amount of money to switch back to RFT.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 12-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayjay1987 View Post
They work surprisingly well. I frequently use it just to fill up my tires when needed. If you had a complete flat, it would take quite a while to completely inflate. I bought mine for $40 on Amazon.
I'm interested in how well the kit "patches" the tire as opposed to how well the pump works. The pump is effectively useless if the tire doesn't hold air after patching.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53K View Post

Although I'm still running RFTs, I did install Koni FSDs this spring on my 2011 335i xDrive Coupe. I waited until the FSDs went on sale (Koni typically has a sale in the spring) and then had them installed by an independent BMW shop. The total was around $1,500: $750 for the FSDs, $750 for the labor.

For me, they're an improvement, but it's not night and day. The punch to the kidney when you go over a pothole has gone away. You still get quite a thump, but the impact is lessened. I'm glad I did it, for the price. If it were $3,000, I'd hesitate, but for $1,500 I feel I got value for the money. I'm still mulling over whether to move to non-RFTs when my current tires wear out.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 12-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
RFT= non RFT=
N4S