Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 12-12-2013, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 R1150rt
Arrow failed plastic oil sight glass

While riding on I-77 near Charlotte NC, I started to smell a horrible odor, I then noticed
The oil temp.gage was out of sight (very hot) I immediately stopped and to make a long story short, The engine had overheated and wouldn't crank.

Within several hours I was able to get the bike home. First of all how do I remove the smell of the burned oil and check to see If I in fact destroyed the (air-cooled engine)

What are the next steps?.............anybody?

Beemereagle
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
I don't see anything about a failed sight glass in your description of what happened, so a little difficult to advise.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 12-13-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 R1150rt
Smile oil sight glass ruptured on R1150RT motorcycle

Sorry for the incomplete info on failed sight glass. The sight glass (plastic) blew out
completely, all the oil on the interstate. This is not common but happens occasionally to this
particular engine.

What to do???

I am a retired EE and not a top-notch mechanic, but I do know that the engine got extremely
hot due to smell of the remaining oil. The bike is a 2002 model with 65k miles. The oil
in the bike was Mobil 1, recently changed.

I plan to add about 3 quarts of an additive (chemical used before changing oil to clean the
engine) and let it thin the bad oil, use a make shift plug to replace the sight glass hole,
then drain the oil, replace the filter, add 4 quarts cleaner,drain the cleaner, then add the
required oil then turn the engine over to allow the good oil to circulate. the engine does turn over. I will then do a compression test. I will wait for further help if available.
Giving information about my bike problem is like professing your sins in the church and
in the presence of your peers. Makes you feel better!

Beemer eagle
Old 12-13-2013, 09:43 AM

Then your primary problem does not seem to be overheated oil, but rather running the engine with low/no oil, and did that cause damage to the engine (e.g., crankshaft bearings). You say the engine turns over (hopefully you mean "by hand"), so that's a good sign.

Step 1 - Remove the (hopefully) magnetic engine oil drain plug and see if any bits of metal are stuck to it. If there are chunks/slivers of metal on the plug = not good. Measure the amount of oil that drains out and check for any metal in the oil. If only the normal "fuzz" on the drain plug, then go to Step 2.

Step 2 - Remove the oil filter, cut it open, and see if any chunks/slivers of metal inside. Same "not good" test as Step 1. If normal, go to Step 3.

Step 3 - Replace the oil sight glass with a NEW OIL SIGHT GLASS. Why mess with a "makeshift plug"?

Step 4 - Replace the oil filter (my suggestion is a new BMW OEM filter) and refill the engine with your Mobil 1. I don't really see the purpose of the 3 quarts of engine cleaner additive. You don't want to thin the bad oil. You want to get the bad oil out of the engine and get good oil into the engine.

Step 5 - Start the engine and see if it runs properly or not. Listen for odd noises and look for any smoke. Check for normal oil pressure and temperature. If OK, go to Step 6.

Step 6 - Run the bike for 10 miles or so, getting the engine up to normal temperature, and checking for any problems. If OK, go to Step 7.

Step 7 - Start at Step 1 again, and do a complete engine oil and filter change, checking for any metal chunks or slivers. Perform a complete engine service (new spark plugs, valve clearance, TB sync). Then ride the bike carefully for awhile to see if everything is normal or not. I would probably do another oil/filter change in about 1,000 miles just to be sure there is nothing lingering.

And yes, the sight glass is a known issue. I have one of these engines. You just have to monitor the sight glass to look for weeping around the edges, and/or just replace it preventatively every now and then. I've never replaced mine and it is fine.

Good luck.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 12-14-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Glad we could help you with your problem. You're welcome.