Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: NA
X3 build status

I placed an order for an X3 two weeks ago. The online status shows the build has started yesterday. However, the phone system still says it is scheduled for production with no confirmed date. Has anybody seen this before? I recalled it is usually the other way around: the phone system provides the most accurate info while the online system lags. Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 12-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Running around in circles

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP
Your CA would have the best info. The online/website info is pretty slow to react. My X3 was already en route and the status online said it was still in production

Previous Bimmers ( All sorely missed ):
2007 Mystic Blue 530i - ED 12-15-06
2003 Grey Green 330i
2003 Electric Red 325iTa

Angular velocity is where it's at

-Jay
Old 12-14-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatral14 View Post
Your CA would have the best info. The online/website info is pretty slow to react. My X3 was already en route and the status online said it was still in production
Thanks Jay! It is weird to me that my production status on the website shows the production has started but the phone system still said not. I guess that i will just go with what my CA told me.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Accuracy of information:
1. Your sales person (access into order/production database)
2. The phone system (if you choose to talk to an operator, they also have direct access to the master order/prod system)
3. The website

hoadang - is this a replacement for your other one that got hit??

Did you choose the same engine, colors and options or did you go with something new??

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 12-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liverman View Post
Accuracy of information:
1. Your sales person (access into order/production database)
2. The phone system (if you choose to talk to an operator, they also have direct access to the master order/prod system)
3. The website

hoadang - is this a replacement for your other one that got hit??

Did you choose the same engine, colors and options or did you go with something new??
Hi Liverman, thank you for the info. Hope that the car build has started since I am still on a rental car out of my own pocket.

Yes, it is a replacement car. I added only two things: top-view camera and heated fronted seats.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:37 AM

Super news that you are getting a new X3!!

Heated seats and top view are two of the features we use ALL the time. Smartphone integration, sat radio and nav are the others. Thougn with temps below zero (Fahrenheit), that heated steering wheel is pretty sweet!

They move the orders through Spartenburg pretty darn quickly - 13000 a month. Plus you are east coast, so shipping will be only a day or so after theyget it on a truck. It is nerve wracking, nonetheless :-)

All the best with your new ride!!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 12-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Super news that you are getting a new X3!!

Heated seats and top view are two of the features we use ALL the time. Smartphone integration, sat radio and nav are the others. Thougn with temps below zero (Fahrenheit), that heated steering wheel is pretty sweet!

They move the orders through Spartenburg pretty darn quickly - 13000 a month. Plus you are east coast, so shipping will be only a day or so after theyget it on a truck. It is nerve wracking, nonetheless :-)

All the best with your new ride!!
Hi Greg. Thanks! Yeah, it took 2 months to get this finally settled. I still cannot understand how these people go running on road drunk (well maybe I understand...).

I absolutely agree with you that the heated seats are very good in cold weather. I experienced several cold days recently and convinced myself that I will need it.

Sorry I should have changed my profile. I moved to the northwest - Seattle, WA this summer and will be taking delivery of the car here. The system says the production will ends the coming Tuesday. Hope it won't take too long to get here. I heard many versions about the time for cars to transfer from SC to WA, most of which suggests 4 weeks. Truly hope that miracle will happen since I am still on a rental car myself

Happy holidays!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Vehicles from Spartanburg that are sold west of the Rockies travel by rail from Spartanburg to the Vehicle Distribution Center in the Los Angeles area. This is the same VDC that accepts shipments from European BMW factories.

Here are pictures from a tour in 2004 (when the X3 was made in Graz):
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...on-center.html

The VDC checks the vehicles and sorts them onto trucks for delivery to dealers.

The time it takes depends on the time it takes to fill the train and the time it takes to fill the truck from LA to Seattle PLUS actual travel times for the train and truck PLUS the time in the VDC to check over the vehicle.

If your car is the last car on the train and it pulls out right after they load your car and your car is the last car on the truck and it pulls out right after they load your car, then your time is minimized. If your car is the first car on the empty train, then the train may sit there for several days filling up with cars before it takes off.

Lots of variables.

I hate to say it, but you are in one of the worst locations in the continental US with regard to delivery time.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Vehicles from Spartanburg that are sold west of the Rockies travel by rail from Spartanburg to the Vehicle Distribution Center in the Los Angeles area. This is the same VDC that accepts shipments from European BMW factories.

The time it takes depends on the time it takes to fill the train and the time it takes to fill the truck from LA to Seattle PLUS actual travel times for the train and truck PLUS the time in the VDC to check over the vehicle.

If your car is the last car on the train and it pulls out right after they load your car and your car is the last car on the truck and it pulls out right after they load your car, then your time is minimized. If your car is the first car on the empty train, then the train may sit there for several days filling up with cars before it takes off.

Lots of variables.

I hate to say it, but you are in one of the worst locations in the continental US with regard to delivery time.
Yes, you are right! I think it will take a while to get to Seattle. My dealer said it probable takes 4-6 weeks.

I guess plus the holiday delays, I am planning a month or even more for that.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:

Lots of variables.

Thanks for the link! That's useful info!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:21 PM

Now it says it is at the port waiting for a shipping vessel, there is no shipping information available at this time. Does anybody have any idea how long this may take? Thanks a lot!

Last edited by haodang; 12-18-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
BMW's system messages seem to be designed around transporting a finished vehicle out of Germany by ship. They don't accurately reflect the US-built X3.

Your X3 is headed for a train, not a ship. It may even be on the train already.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:01 PM

Re: X3 build status

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
BMW's system messages seem to be designed around transporting a finished vehicle out of Germany by ship. They don't accurately reflect the US-built X3.

Your X3 is headed for a train, not a ship. It may even be on the train already.
I see, hope it's on a train already.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 3.5i
I am also a left coaster. Ordered mine on 9/13, and picked up at dealer on 10/14. I was pretty amazed at the speed. Hang in there!
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM

Re: X3 build status

Quote:
Originally Posted by farg View Post
I am also a left coaster. Ordered mine on 9/13, and picked up at dealer on 10/14. I was pretty amazed at the speed. Hang in there!

That's pretty quick! Thanks!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Since the manufacture 13000+ X3 per month in Spartanburg, they cannot afford to have much of a backlog. Assuming they have brisk sales on the west coast, that train should leave within a couple of days. I seem to recall that it is maybe four days to the west coast.

From this point on, the website and phone system will not be of much use, in my experience. Your dealer will start to get updates from the shipping companies that are involved since they need to be notified to accept receipt of the vehicle.

Congrats!

Old 12-21-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Since the manufacture 13000+ X3 per month in Spartanburg, they cannot afford to have much of a backlog. Assuming they have brisk sales on the west coast, that train should leave within a couple of days. I seem to recall that it is maybe four days to the west coast.

From this point on, the website and phone system will not be of much use, in my experience. Your dealer will start to get updates from the shipping companies that are involved since they need to be notified to accept receipt of the vehicle.

Congrats!
Thanks Greg! I asked my CA and yes he did have more detailed information! He looked into the system and told me that my car was on a train to California. He said we should be able to see it here in Seattle early Jan.

Gonna be a long wait......