Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e92 M3 ZCP, M Roadster
Safe from thieves?

Can anyone give their opinion about how easy/hard it is to steal an X5? I have a 2002 4.4i, and I assume that its as safe as my e46. I know it has the auto disabler if oem key isn't used, but what other concerns should I have?
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pseto
Can anyone give their opinion about how easy/hard it is to steal an X5? I have a 2002 4.4i, and I assume that its as safe as my e46. I know it has the auto disabler if oem key isn't used, but what other concerns should I have?
Popping the lock is very easy to do and unless you program your vehicle so that only using the remote to unlock the vehicle (versus the key) will keep the alarm from going off, you are vulnerable.

One solution to the door lock pop problem is to eliminate the key - http://www.janixworld.com/x5/DoorLock/
Old 10-04-2004, 09:22 PM
Hog Town

Mein Auto: 14 F10, 14 F15
Quote:
It's gonna be extremely difficult (if not impossible) to steal an X5 or any other modern BMWs with built-in engine immobilizer, at least not by the old-fashioned way. If a (pro) thief wants your car bad enough, he'll find a way to get it. The new craze in car theft now is using a tow truck or breaking into your house and use the car key to drive your car away.

I have a cellular-based vehicle recovery system in my X5 in case it got stolen. But hope it never happens.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: Imola RedII 4.8iS - 733i
Quote:
You have no idea how easy it is to steel these rides. Trust me when I tell you this...
Of course I wont go into details but as mentioned have your dealer disable the option of having the ability to disarm the remote via door lock and a simple fuel cut-off switch would be sufficient.

Ed (TripleX5)
02 4.4 retired
Old 10-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Yeah Baby!

Mein Auto: 2004 X5
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleX5
You have no idea how easy it is to steel these rides. Trust me when I tell you this...
Of course I wont go into details but as mentioned have your dealer disable the option of having the ability to disarm the remote via door lock and a simple fuel cut-off switch would be sufficient.
In Ed we Trust!

the "X" - '04 X5 - Alpine White/Truffle
the "M" - '03 M5 - Petrol Mica/Champagne

Old 10-05-2004, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: Ketchep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleX5
i'll explain it cuz there are curious minds out there that want to protect their cars...

there are lots of key remote duplicators that you can buy very cheap... get one of them and just stalk your prey.. when they disarm their alarm to get in, voila... captured signal for your use whenever you want... same with garage door openers and such...

google is a blessing and curse at the same time. i got my black belt in google too. thats why i take my engine out and take it with me when i park my car.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Member of the club

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayaku
thats why i take my engine out and take it with me when i park my car.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '03 4.6iS
Quote:
i'll explain it cuz there are curious minds out there that want to protect their cars...

there are lots of key remote duplicators that you can buy very cheap... get one of them and just stalk your prey.. when they disarm their alarm to get in, voila... captured signal for your use whenever you want... same with garage door openers and such...

google is a blessing and curse at the same time. i got my black belt in google too. thats why i take my engine out and take it with me when i park my car.
ROLFLMAO
Old 10-05-2004, 12:34 PM
Let's Get It Started!

Mein Auto: Only BMWs
Talking ROFL! Of course, you keep your V1 still attached!

Now, do I leave the motor mounts with the car or the engine?

Quote:

Old 10-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Loading the vehcle on a flatbed is the easiest way to steal a BMW. Driving it off, next to impossible especially since all the keys are encoded with a transponder chip (including valet and plastic key). Duplicate keys cannot be ordered without substantial proof of ownership. There are 10 (?) keys produced per DME... once you lose your 10th key, you need a new DME. If I'm remembering correctly, new keys must be "added" to the vehicle as well -- I do not believe you can start the car without initializing the key first.

Capturing the remote code is also not as easy as using a scanner, as BMW uses a rolling code system. A captured code is one that is already used. 10 failed attempts, and the car will lock out all attempts for 15 minutes. Each key has its own independent rolling code. If the key is in your pocket and the button accidentally gets pressed, the code increments. If the codes are out of sequence but within a reasonable number of codes out of sequence the car unlocks. If the codes are further apart (like you pressed the button 100 times), then it will take 2 button presses to unlock the door (first one to try and re-sync, second one to unlock). If the codes are way off (like thousands of presses), the key must be reinitialized.

The most common way of entering a BMW is by "popping" the lock. Without the alarm properly encoded, a popped lock will also disable the alarm. There are also your more traditional methods such as prying the door open, breaking the window, etc. When your car is broken into, most thieves seem to target the glovebox -- a surprising number of people leave their plastic key in there or the leather car manual holder. They are also looking for your address, so they can find your house and steal your key at a later time. Since this is really the only way you can drive off in a newer BMW, protect yourself and don't keep important information in your car.

In short, car is easy to break-into. It is fairly difficult to steal without just picking up the car and moving it.