Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-15-2013, 06:57 PM

Mein Auto: Outback. Shopping for X3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
The $2400 Nav system is worthless because almost all user input is locked out once underway, even with someone in the passenger seat. It is necessary to pull over to a full stop on a shoulder to search for a restaurant, hotel, gas station, etc. The animosity towards Toyota because of the Nav system is way out of proportion to what it should be but we also always have a $200 Garmin on top of the dash so my wife and I can make decisions on hotels and places to eat.
Reading this made me laughing well. Good write.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by galion View Post
That looks good but I cant see myself into Volvo anymore,
I once considered Volvo a premium brand, their cars had an image of safety and technological refinement closely tied to its Swedish roots.
IMO the Chinese ownership erode all that image.

To the OP, I would stick with a X3, Q5, GLK, in that order.
Haha, I think they dug their hole not with the Chinese ownership but rather they`re simplistic design philosophy and sticking with a design until its old as hell (xc90). Plus they lost out by resenting offering the biggest pull in the luxury market; GREAT LEASES. I believe they`re ownership is dominated by customers financing not leasing. An article came out in business week where 5% (the number maybe off I`d have to check) of dealership offer leasing. If you want to compete in the luxury battlefield, you HAVE TO OFFER LEASES! BMW, MB the crown jewels of mass market luxury car makers win each year by offering ridiculous lease deals.

However the couple things Volvo's doing right:

1) New ground-up engine architecture
-These engines are downsized, DI, FI, and easy to accept electric drive units
-Bye Bye ford remnants

2) 1st to launching Autonomous Safety Tech
-City safety, LDW, LDP, BSA, BSAA, and then autonomous cruise and traffic jam assist

3) Brand new design direction with coupe design study
-Exterior and interior of the coupe is ridick. The center console went from that boring image above to a Tesla like Infotainment system

4) New Common platform for all their vehicles to be designed upon.
-Bye bye Ford platforms

5) Working with Polestar
-:P S60 polestar edition.....enuff said

If they can continue to innovate, they have a strong business case regardless of ownership.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by galion View Post
That looks good but I cant see myself into Volvo anymore,
I once considered Volvo a premium brand, their cars had an image of safety and technological refinement closely tied to its Swedish roots.
IMO the Chinese ownership erode all that image.
If you want your center console to look like a paid phone, thats the car for you
Volvo was in trouble before the Chinese bought them. The brand image of safety could no longer translate into sales numbers and quality was in the decline. They tried to target the younger demographics with performance but it took them years before they had a somewhat competitive product. Right now they are in between a rock and a hard place, the older demographics no long consider Volvo to be a luxury brand and the prestige that it once had, the younger demographic do not want to drive around in their grandfather's car even if it does perform ok. I see Volvo going down the same road as SAAB in about 10 years or so.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: RAV4
Volvo styling is not for me, so that is out. I think from reading the performance, size and fun all point towards the X3. This may be weird but the Q5 I don't like the look of the interior. the x3 interior to me look good, but the x5 look great, specially the seats, they look very luxurious and comfy, kinda like when you compare the 3 series to the 5 series.

I wanted to thank you guys for your input, I know the RX350 will be reliable and comfortable for me, however i am worried that I amy get bored with it soon. I am trying to get something that is fun and double as a long commute car.
Maybe I can get a sedan.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
^if your in sedan territory The GS is considered superior then the equivalent 5 series soo something to think about there.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
According to Car and Driver, the X3 35i hit 0-60 in 5.5 and the XC60 R-design in 5.7 sec, pretty close. While the X3's interior has a very utilitarian design, the center console of the XC60 is has a face that only a mother can love.

Wow, that is a truly hideous dash. It almost makes me physically sick to look at.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulchild79 View Post
The link I posted had the X3 @ 6.2. But I guess it depends on the source for the numbers.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Your link was showing the X3 28i which is 6.2, but the 35i is 5.5 sec, but either way the R-sport is about as quick at the 35i, and I don't think I could tell the difference between 5.5 and 5.7 if I was driving one.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
Your link was showing the X3 28i which is 6.2, but the 35i is 5.5 sec, but either way the R-sport is about as quick at the 35i, and I don't think I could tell the difference between 5.5 and 5.7 if I was driving one.
Handling wise, the Volvo XC60 R type was no match for the X3:

"Of the four, I found the XC60 to be the worst handler in aggressive driving. Roll was too prevalent, and did little to communicate what was going on between the rubber and the road. Fore/aft damping was decent, but didnít inspire lots of confidence.
Outright grip was all right, but was bested by the X3 and EX35. Turn-in felt sluggish and lackluster, and the Volvo rarely felt willing to rotate."

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/...xc60-r-design/
Old 12-19-2013, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
How about the diesel GLK... great for commuting and great fuel economy.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Good choice! Has anyone got any real world mileage from the GLK bluetec? When they get around to bringing in the 2wd version over the mileage should be even better too.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
8.3 city/5.9 hwy/7.2 combined (L/100 km) (34/48/39 mpg Imperial) rating north of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Good choice! Has anyone got any real world mileage from the GLK bluetec? When they get around to bringing in the 2wd version over the mileage should be even better too.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 AM

Thanks lb, that is pretty good -- almost right up there with the Jetta sportwagen TDI and better than the Q5d. Even given the Imperial Gallon is larger that is still great mileage. Believe it or not I still have not seen a GLK diesel in the valley. The dealers all "have them on order" but nothing ever shows up.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:10 PM

So i test drove both the RX350 and the X3.

RX350 - I really really like the seats, yes it does not drive like a BMW and probably never will, targeted towards different customers. Its has good size for rear passengers and the cargo space is good as well. I don't like the avg MPG, and that the car does not move instantly like a BMW. Didn't like the small infotainment screen, but the mouse was good.

X3- Drove like a 3series, didn't feel that I was driving a SUV/SAV, it handled very well, not as quick as the 3 series, felt it took a just a second or two more to take off than the 328i. but overall it was grey handling and drive. Did not like the seats at all. I am guessing that all bmw seats suck. The leather feels hard and hardly any cushion, compared to lexus or maybe another manufacturer. They did not have the 2014 X5, but though that the 3013 seats would be better than the X3, but no, it was not plush as i was expecting. however looking at the 2014X5 pics, it looks like they have softer leather which I hope is more plush.

Maybe BMW does not have soft cushy seats because its more sport than luxury and for the sport driving experience the seats need to be hard for some reason I guess.

The X3 is defiantly out since it feels so much like the 3 series which I already have.

have to also try the GLK 250 blue tech.

Last edited by sid369; 12-29-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 AM

What do you guys think of the Q5 2.0T, I have not even considered this but now the more I am reading I am getting more interested. I think the size is comparable to the X3, maybe a little more space than the X3, handling not quite as a BMW but the ride is smoother and also gives good gas milage. I think its more plush ride which is what I am looking for.

On a side note - Do you guys buy a car (finance) and then maybe halfway through the term (for e.g. 60 month financing) you get bored of the car, do you guys trade it in? Is that something that is common to do? Do you loose money or does it built a little equity when you trade it in?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
So i test drove both the RX350 and the X3.

RX350 - I really really like the seats, yes it does not drive like a BMW and probably never will, targeted towards different customers. Its has good size for rear passengers and the cargo space is good as well. I don't like the avg MPG, and that the car does not move instantly like a BMW. Didn't like the small infotainment screen, but the mouse was good.
Just some input from an RX350 owner.

-Most user inputs to the nav system are locked out as soon as you get underway so it is not possible to look for POIs (restaurants, hotels, gas stations, etc) unless you pull over to the shoulder and come to a complete stop. This is so even with a passenger in the passenger seat.

-Sudden acceleration must be instantly compensated for by the driver or the torque steer will cause you to lose control.

-Not pleasant to drive where there are a lot of somewhat twisty roads like in mountain resorts (Cashiers NC, etc.).

-Outstanding long road trip car as is very comfortable and quiet. The auto HVAC system is excellent. The A/C is outstanding but it tends to overheat the interior on cold winter days until all sensors eventually stabilize then it is OK.

I would never consider buying another RX SUV again even though we were reasonably happy with a RX300 we had a number of years ago. The character of the car and quality of the interior materials changed considerably since then.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
What do you guys think of the Q5 2.0T, I have not even considered this but now the more I am reading I am getting more interested. I think the size is comparable to the X3, maybe a little more space than the X3, handling not quite as a BMW but the ride is smoother and also gives good gas milage. I think its more plush ride which is what I am looking for.

On a side note - Do you guys buy a car (finance) and then maybe halfway through the term (for e.g. 60 month financing) you get bored of the car, do you guys trade it in? Is that something that is common to do? Do you loose money or does it built a little equity when you trade it in?
Do you know how many miles you'll be approximately driving annually?

If less than 15,000 consider leasing. BMW has very good lease rates and financing a car for 60 months and selling it after 3 years wouldn't make sense.

Another reason for leasing is you're unsure of a new model. If you buy the X3 and don't like it you can switch after 3 years. I love my X3 and the Sport seats are a bit firm- which I like- but it's a driver's SUV; Porsche makes the only other drivers SUV I've ever been in. It's a fun, sporty car- drives better than my Acura RL ever did.

Q5 is a softer ride and the seats are cushier. It's a nice vehicle. Good second choice for me. Lease rates aren't as favorable with the Q5.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
Re: Advise please - X3,X5,RX350 or something else

Size-wise how would you compare the X3 to the Lexus RX300/350 ? I've checked out the dimensions on the comparison charts at bmw.com but I'm curious how they compare in real world terms especially for tall drivers/passengers.

I've been liking the X1 but it might be a tad small and the X5 a bit large?!? Sounds like a 3 bears story

I'm looking to replace a 2007 Rav4 Limited V-6 loaded with only 44k miles. It's been an OK car but after owning it for 6 years I've come to the realization that Toyota products are very over rated. Don't get me wrong, it's not a disaster, it's very quick, gets about 18mpg, reasonably quiet, moderate repair costs (suspension and brakes are weak spots). But, our other two cars are BMWs and it's time to round out the fleet.

Didn't want to hijack this post but there are too many similarities to pass up

"Seek and ye shall find" ... start with your owner's manual!

Get add'l discounts and cash rebates at your favorite e-stores incl Tirerack!

Mr. Rebates
Old 12-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
Size-wise how would you compare the X3 to the Lexus RX300/350 ? I've checked out the dimensions on the comparison charts at bmw.com but I'm curious how they compare in real world terms especially for tall drivers/passengers.

I've been liking the X1 but it might be a tad small and the X5 a bit large?!? Sounds like a 3 bears story

I'm looking to replace a 2007 Rav4 Limited V-6 loaded with only 44k miles. It's been an OK car but after owning it for 6 years I've come to the realization that Toyota products are very over rated. Don't get me wrong, it's not a disaster, it's very quick, gets about 18mpg, reasonably quiet, moderate repair costs (suspension and brakes are weak spots). But, our other two cars are BMWs and it's time to round out the fleet.

Didn't want to hijack this post but there are too many similarities to pass up

I bought a '13 X3 for my wife. She wanted something smaller than an MDX and it's a perfect size for us. Just got back from a ski trip with 2 teenagers- we were tight, but all the gear and bags fit. Moved my son into college a few months ago- we were tight, but everything fit.

Highly recommend BMW roof rack system- works quite well. We use it for skis and snow boards, but it's quite versatile for many other activities.

X1 is very small. Fun to drive around- one model comes with the non-electric steering; talk about feeling the road through the steering wheel; wow!

Some of the parts of the X1 feel cheap.

X5 is and drives bigger. Since it sounds like you want a driver's SUV- other than the Porsche models- the X3 drives fantastically. Be sure to order DHP.

I'm getting mid-30's mpg's on the highway.

I tend to special order cars fairly loaded. With I had ordered HUD for it. Have it in my 5 Series.

Must haves: M Sport, H-K sound, heated front seats, premium and technology packages.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 12-29-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I found the 2.0T Q5 a bit under powered, but that is just me, it is a good point A to point B SUV. Size wise, not any bigger than the X3, about the same.
How much equity you have when trading in depend mostly on how much you put down as a down payment. I try to have about $10K to $15K equity after 2 - 3 years and have been able to it trade in and still pay a similar monthly payment for the new car.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 AM

Look at the new Q5TDI -- same drive train as the Cayenne (and T-egg, Q7 oilers) gobs of torque and a lot less weight than its other VAG counterparts. The 2.0 is the entry Q5, and if that is what you need it is a fine engine (aside from timing belt changes) used in a lot of VAG's line up. Had a new Q5 2.0 as a loaner (wife has an A4) for a few days and found it a very nice and well sorted car. Did not feel it was "not a driver's car" but that is me. I happen to like Audi's and they seem more responsive to the customer's desires (i.e. diesels)than BMW has been recently.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Look at the new Q5TDI -- same drive train as the Cayenne (and T-egg, Q7 oilers) gobs of torque and a lot less weight than its other VAG counterparts. The 2.0 is the entry Q5, and if that is what you need it is a fine engine (aside from timing belt changes) used in a lot of VAG's line up. Had a new Q5 2.0 as a loaner (wife has an A4) for a few days and found it a very nice and well sorted car. Did not feel it was "not a driver's car" but that is me. I happen to like Audi's and they seem more responsive to the customer's desires (i.e. diesels)than BMW has been recently.
+1

The Q5 gasser when I test drove it was very soft and not a driver's car.

If they made the Q5 2.0T with Sport package (selectable sport suspension + transmission + steering) control, I would be driving that now instead of the new diesel - 4th BMW.

But the only way to get the Sport package would be go up to a 3.0.

So if Audi comes out with a 2.0T diesel w/ Sport package option, that would rival the X3 / X5 for sure!