Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
BMW 3.0 diesel from the 535d makes Ward's 10 Best Engine List
Bernie@Bimmerfest
Administrator

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Bernie@Bimmerfest

10bestengine

Ward's 10 Best Engines list for 2014 has been released and by the looks of it, diesels and turbos have dominated this year. For 20 years Ward's has put on this 10 best engines competition. It recognizes outstanding powertrain achievements and technologies, in the latest engines available in the US.

'Three diesels, a tiny 3-cyl. turbo and a battery-electric vehicle are among the 2014 Ward's 10 Best Engines, illustrating the importance of fuel economy as automakers develop and market advanced new powertrains.'

To be eligible for the competition, a new, or even improved engine or propulsion system, must be on sale in a production vehicle in the first quarter of 2014. Ward's had set a vehicle base price cap at $60 for this year.

This year's winners:
3.0L TFSI Supercharged DOHC V-6 (Audi S5)
3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC I-6 (BMW 535d)
3.0L Turbodiesel DOHC V-6 (Ram 1500 EcoDiesel)
83-kW Electric Motor (Fiat 500e)
1.0L EcoBoost DOHC I-3 (Ford Fiesta)
2.0L Turbodiesel DOHC I-4 (Chevrolet Cruze Diesel)
6.2L OHV V-8 (Chevrolet Corvette Stingray)
3.5L SOHC V-6 (Honda Accord)
2.7L DOHC H-6 boxer (Porsche Cayman)
1.8L Turbocharged DOHC I-4 (Volkswagen Jetta)

Among the winners, was Audi's 333 hp 3 liter supercharged V6, which secured it's fifth consecutive trip to the 10 Best. Audi's 2.0 liter turbo I-4, from the A4, was the last engine to achieve 5 straight 10 Best Engines trophies, and that was 2006-10.

BMW has also made many trips to the Ward's 10 Best Engines over the past 20 years, 30 to be exact. This year their 3.0 liter turbo diesel inline 6, from the 535 d and the x5, made the cut.

The lone electric on the list is the Fiat 500e. Its 83-kW electric motor delivers 147 torques, consistently outperformed its 85 mile range, and apparently gets going quite quickly. Maybe next year, we will see the i3 on the list.

The awards will be presented during the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, January 15th.

Read about all the winners in the full article from Wardsauto.com.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-bmw-535d-5-series-014.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	412370  

Last edited by Bernie@Bimmerfest; 12-14-2013 at 08:56 AM..
This article has been viewed 899 times.