Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-15-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
'01 330i SUPERCHARGED or TURBO???

ok so here's the deal, I need help or a lil more guidance on my set up. I have a '01 330i m edition which is in great shape and ive already invested roughly 15,000 in restoring most of it to new. I want to add some pony power and know I have to and want to rebuild my tranny, engine, headers and exhaust when I do make the committment .....thing is I haven't been able to decide what would be a better configuration. either s/c or turbo. I plan on spending anywhere from 10-15k in order to make this project car turn heads and lift dresses as I fly by lol.

the upgrades (performance wise) I already have are as follows (I know some might have to be upgraded once the s/c or turbo gets added)

-borla cat/back exhaust
-k&n cold air intake
-ceramic rotors (slotted)
-sprint booster (haha I know this will be useless)
-stage III clutch & flywheel combo
Ads by Google
Old 12-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonay View Post
ok so here's the deal, I need help or a lil more guidance on my set up. I have a '01 330i m edition which is in great shape and ive already invested roughly 15,000 in restoring most of it to new. I want to add some pony power and know I have to and want to rebuild my tranny, engine, headers and exhaust when I do make the committment .....thing is I haven't been able to decide what would be a better configuration. either s/c or turbo. I plan on spending anywhere from 10-15k in order to make this project car turn heads and lift dresses as I fly by lol.

the upgrades (performance wise) I already have are as follows (I know some might have to be upgraded once the s/c or turbo gets added)

-borla cat/back exhaust
-k&n cold air intake
-ceramic rotors (slotted)
-sprint booster (haha I know this will be useless)
-stage III clutch & flywheel combo
how much can you spend on said turbo or SC? the vendors you want to look at for best bang for buck are techniquetuning.com, vfengineering.com, activeautowerke.com, and esstuning.com. That should be roughly in the order of cost/ft lb. of torque increase over stock.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-15-2013, 10:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
even if u bolted up an S/C or turbo, on stock internals, your car will still be slower than a stock E46 M3
my advice is to do an S54 swap, costs less (at least where i'm from) and u'll get a much more precise power throughout the RPM, not forgetting that it can handle a loooooot more beating than ur boosted 330 engine.
and later on, when u decide to boost it, u can go with the ESS

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 12-16-2013, 07:59 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
If you're adamant about doing a turbo build (which is what I would do if money wasn't an issue), I'd get the [1]VAC Motorsports turbo build kit (this is the "Street" version, which is rated for a little less horsepower than the [2]"Race" version, but I don't think you'll be getting up to 800 WHP or anything), a [3]VAC Motorsports performance cylinder head, and a [4]subframe reinforcement kit.

I only used VAC links because it was convenient. And VAC apparently makes some damn good stuff.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 12-16-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:25 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
even if u bolted up an S/C or turbo, on stock internals, your car will still be slower than a stock E46 M3
my advice is to do an S54 swap, costs less (at least where i'm from) and u'll get a much more precise power throughout the RPM, not forgetting that it can handle a loooooot more beating than ur boosted 330 engine.
and later on, when u decide to boost it, u can go with the ESS
330's have a forged crank, the bottom can handle 400+. Mal can attest to that.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-16-2013, 01:32 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Engines running strong on 6-8psi for the past 40k+ miles.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 12-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
IMHO, the high 300s to maybe 400-ish RWHP should be the practical working horsepower limit for an aluminum-block I6....(that`s if you want it to survive for a while)....the alloy block doesn`t have the torsional rigidity to absorb the high-thrust crank loads in a heavily-boosted application (not for a long-term, anyway). This is the reason why E46 M3 S54s use a cast-iron block....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
IMHO, the high 300s to maybe 400-ish RWHP should be the practical working horsepower limit for an aluminum-block I6....(that`s if you want it to survive for a while)....the alloy block doesn`t have the torsional rigidity to absorb the high-thrust crank loads in a heavily-boosted application (not for a long-term, anyway). This is the reason why E46 M3 S54s use a cast-iron block....
Yea, though the m54 engine has those little torsional stability bits off each main cap. I would think the rods would be the main weak point of the bottom end for most sane people.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Yea, though the m54 engine has those little torsional stability bits off each main cap. I would think the rods would be the main weak point of the bottom end for most sane people.

Yeah, that`s a good approach....Milodon makes (made ?) similar "Girdle support" pieces for small-block Chevys....they work quite well....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM
L4P

All this engine talk... just made me look at my jegs magazine. Now I want a supercharged 357
Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Re: '01 330i SUPERCHARGED or TURBO???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
All this engine talk... just made me look at my jegs magazine. Now I want a supercharged 357
I want to go to my sisters house and drive my brother in laws 426 stroked mustang.

Sent from my HTC One X using BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM
L4P

Quote:
I want to go to my sisters house and drive my brother in laws 426 stroked mustang.

I heard were going to your sisters hows when I come visit to go drive that!
Old 12-16-2013, 06:15 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I heard were going to your sisters hows when I come visit to go drive that!
Sure. 500hp naturally aspirated, plus a 2 stage 250 shot nitrous kit. And an 8000rpm Redline!

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 PM

hmmmm

Well I certainly appreciate everyone's opinions and all, but what I'm really looking for a facts and parts that I'll need to change out or beef up! I want to speak to someone who has ALREADY DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY and not just opinions. So please, keep the opinions coming but I also would love to hear from someone who can show me how to do this properly. Thank you for your time. Cash
Old 12-17-2013, 06:50 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Well I certainly appreciate everyone's opinions and all, but what I'm really looking for a facts and parts that I'll need to change out or beef up! I want to speak to someone who has ALREADY DONE THIS SUCCESSFULLY and not just opinions. So please, keep the opinions coming but I also would love to hear from someone who can show me how to do this properly. Thank you for your time. Cash
Pick any one of half a dozen kits and bolt it on. No harder than that

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 12-17-2013, 07:09 AM

I know its not hard to bolt **** on dummy!!! I want to DO IT PROPERLY! you can't expect to add 100-250 horsepower to a stock engine and not change almost everything out!! So again I stress to be able to talk to someone who has done this. I DONT just want to add a turbo or s/c I want to make the entire car a rocket and durable at that
Old 12-17-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
I know its not hard to bolt **** on dummy!!! I want to DO IT PROPERLY! you can't expect to add 100-250 horsepower to a stock engine and not change almost everything out!! So again I stress to be able to talk to someone who has done this. I DONT just want to add a turbo or s/c I want to make the entire car a rocket and durable at that
Did you not see my post above? VAC Motorsports sells everything you need to make a decent turbo build. That's a FACT, not an OPINION. Otherwise, you can get a kit from Technique Tuning and slap it on your stock engine. It will run just fine and not blow up if you keep the boost low. If you want to run more boost, your best bet (for time and ease of access) is to just buy that VAC kit.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:35 AM

i did...

I did see your above post.....but again I'mnot looking for someone to give me kit names and websites to find product.....its not the product names or info im after, it's the entire process and all the OTHER components Ineed to swap out or beef up to make this run properly. I don't need or want a salesman, I need someone who knows everything that has to be upgraded and all the problems they ran into.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
L4P

Quote:
I did see your above post.....but again I'mnot looking for someone to give me kit names and websites to find product.....its not the product names or info im after, it's the entire process and all the OTHER components Ineed to swap out or beef up to make this run properly. I don't need or want a salesman, I need someone who knows everything that has to be upgraded and all the problems they ran into.
Your not making much sense. He provided you with the link of WHAT YOU'LL NEED to make this work and all the components.

Do you want to build a custom turbo or supercharged setup is that what your looking for?. I can chime in on custom setups...
Old 12-17-2013, 08:47 AM

Ok, its not just the turbo setup o s/c setup I'm worried about....its everything else I have to change....is tranny, headers, do I rebuild my engine or buy one......do I reinforce the subframe, do I change gas lines and exhaust.....like i mean theres way more involved than bolting Shiit on
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Ok, its not just the turbo setup o s/c setup I'm worried about....its everything else I have to change....is tranny, headers, do I rebuild my engine or buy one......do I reinforce the subframe, do I change gas lines and exhaust.....like i mean theres way more involved than bolting Shiit on
Adding 100 HP (or so) via forced-induction will put substantial stress on all the car`s major systems, which is why it`s important to beef up as many things as possible in the interest of longevity. You don`t want to spend your entire budget on the engine, only to have other components break down every couple of weeks. A fast car is no fun if it spends most of it`s time sitting in the driveway waiting for repairs.

(It`s like all the guys I grew up with who had Harleys....most of them spent FAR more time working on the bike, as opposed to actually riding it....)

Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
L4P

Quote:
You really want to know?. Here's the list of what I've replaced to make the SC work with my car properly 100%.

The entire engine and everything attached to it. Entire transmission, clutch and flywheel, drive shaft, differential, reinforced rear subframe, suspension, wheels/rims, gauges, full exhaust and much much more. Hopefully you get the idea.
Ideally to do it right it would cost you near 10-15k plus the cost of the car and the cost of the supercharger or turbo kit.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:10 AM

I have the car, I have the budget and I have the desire. Just need the proper guidance and help
Old 12-17-2013, 10:25 AM
L4P

Quote:
I have the car, I have the budget and I have the desire. Just need the proper guidance and help
The reason were not so helpful at this moment is because a lot of people come in here asking for what your asking but never deliver. If you really want to do this you'l do your own research and start doing it. Once you run into the issues and have questions on how to get some things working properly etc we can all help you.

If I were to do it all over again?. I would of sold my BMW and bought an Audi B5 S4. And went full Stage 3 on that. But if you want to keep your BMW the other thing I would of done all over again was build my own turbo kit rather than SC kit.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Were I in your situation, I would abandon the E46, and build an E39 M5 with a stout LS-series V8 in it....(just thinking out loud here.... )