Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 28i, 2009 BMW
Why so much bashing towards BMW's

I notice that almost everything I read in here is negative towards BMW. Is their anything positive about them? I have had a 2009 323i for the past 5 yrs and love the car and no major issues to date. Just bought a 2014 X3 and now wondering if I made a mistake. I really like both cars but from the sounds of things through out these forums it seems that BMW's are expensive to fix and are not reliable and NEVER own one outside of its warranty. Are there other forums that are less negative? I had a Acura RSX for 11 yrs and didn't hear that many negative things in the Acura forums the last 11 yrs. Sorry just want to see if there are happy BMW owners out there.
Ads by Google
Old 12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: x3 35i

Wow. I had my rsx for almost 9years with out any major issues. I'm guessing you are in your mid to late 30s? The x3 is my second new car. I miss my rsx type S everyday lol. Came the baby and everything changed.
The x3 is a good car but BMWs are expensive to maintain. It's just these cars have so much technology in them that when something goes wrong it takes a skillful person with the know how to fix them. I too was on the Acura forums.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Wow. I had my rsx for almost 9years with out any major issues. I'm guessing you are in your mid to late 30s? The x3 is my second new car. I miss my rsx type S everyday lol. Came the baby and everything changed.
The x3 is a good car but BMWs are expensive to maintain. It's just these cars have so much technology in them that when something goes wrong it takes a skillful person with the know how to fix them. I too was on the Acura forums.

I hear ya. I didn't have the type S had the premium but something about driving that car was so fun. Yup mid 30's and came baby #2 so wanted something bigger
I do realize that they have so mych technology in them but I was just trying to see how much would it be compaired to a Santa Fe or Edge or RDX all of them fully loaded. But everywhere I read people say not to own them past the warranty date. I just hope I am lucky and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg to fix when outside of the warranty. I do like to keep my cars for a while.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM

You and me both. I for sure will keep this car for 7yrs or 100k miles as I have the BMW platinum warranty. After that I do plan on trading her in for another jap car unless I don't have any major issues and am one of the lucky ones without any issues in their BMWs. I do love this 35i x3 as it is a beast of a car.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX328i View Post
I notice that almost everything I read in here is negative towards BMW. Is their anything positive about them? I have had a 2009 323i for the past 5 yrs and love the car and no major issues to date. Just bought a 2014 X3 and now wondering if I made a mistake. I really like both cars but from the sounds of things through out these forums it seems that BMW's are expensive to fix and are not reliable and NEVER own one outside of its warranty. Are there other forums that are less negative? I had a Acura RSX for 11 yrs and didn't hear that many negative things in the Acura forums the last 11 yrs. Sorry just want to see if there are happy BMW owners out there.
Very happy BMW owner here. I had a 2002 330ci that I bought new, had for 11 years and many cross country roadtrips, and sold at 145k miles because I needed something bigger to carry the dog in, so I bought a '14 x3 in april, and have so far taken it the midwest once and am very happy with it. I'd still have the e46 too, but already owning a BMW motorcycle, I didn't want to have to pay to license and insure three vehicles!

My experience is that there are two types of people who own BMW's: the type that own a BMW because they want to own a BMW, and the type that own a BMW because it's a driver's car. The earlier typically dont know what is happening under the hood, they are not mechanically inclined and routine maintenance (or god forbid a repair) is more of an annoyance than anything. The latter (which likely includes many on these forums) are what I call the people who want to know everything about their car, how to keep it running forever, and how to get the best out of it. Some of them (like me) will do all of their own work on their car. I believe that one doesn't truly respect the engineering behind these autos until you have worked on them!

That is probably rule #1: it is very expensive if you dont do your own work. It can be lessened the higher up in difficulty you are willing to go. For example: I did my own brakes on my e46 for $400 for super good ceramic pads and premium rotors, and a few hours of work. Same cost at the dealer is over $650 per AXLE! Yikes! Oil change? $40 for filter and oil and 15 minutes of work. Dealer rate is much higher (I honestly dont know because I have never let them change the oil).

Rule #2 (kinda requires that you do your own work as stated in rule #1): Every model has "soft spots" that are known to go bad in x amount of miles. Know those spots, pre-emptively swap them when the useful life is almost up. Again, on the e46 that was water pump and thermostat at 60K miles, radiator at 100k. At 60K I bought an aftermarket steel pump with a lifetime warranty (so I dont have to worry about a plastic one failing at a bad time) and overhauled the cooling system. Right on cue at about 97k miles, I noticed ever so slight radiator leakage, so it was swapped then.

If you do your own work, it is not expensive to own. If you keep up with maintenance, it will never strand you and will last as long as you can drive it.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsky View Post
Very happy BMW owner here. I had a 2002 330ci that I bought new, had for 11 years and many cross country roadtrips, and sold at 145k miles because I needed something bigger to carry the dog in, so I bought a '14 x3 in april, and have so far taken it the midwest once and am very happy with it. I'd still have the e46 too, but already owning a BMW motorcycle, I didn't want to have to pay to license and insure three vehicles!

My experience is that there are two types of people who own BMW's: the type that own a BMW because they want to own a BMW, and the type that own a BMW because it's a driver's car. The earlier typically dont know what is happening under the hood, they are not mechanically inclined and routine maintenance (or god forbid a repair) is more of an annoyance than anything. The latter (which likely includes many on these forums) are what I call the people who want to know everything about their car, how to keep it running forever, and how to get the best out of it. Some of them (like me) will do all of their own work on their car. I believe that one doesn't truly respect the engineering behind these autos until you have worked on them!

That is probably rule #1: it is very expensive if you dont do your own work. It can be lessened the higher up in difficulty you are willing to go. For example: I did my own brakes on my e46 for $400 for super good ceramic pads and premium rotors, and a few hours of work. Same cost at the dealer is over $650 per AXLE! Yikes! Oil change? $40 for filter and oil and 15 minutes of work. Dealer rate is much higher (I honestly dont know because I have never let them change the oil).

Rule #2 (kinda requires that you do your own work as stated in rule #1): Every model has "soft spots" that are known to go bad in x amount of miles. Know those spots, pre-emptively swap them when the useful life is almost up. Again, on the e46 that was water pump and thermostat at 60K miles, radiator at 100k. At 60K I bought an aftermarket steel pump with a lifetime warranty (so I dont have to worry about a plastic one failing at a bad time) and overhauled the cooling system. Right on cue at about 97k miles, I noticed ever so slight radiator leakage, so it was swapped then.

If you do your own work, it is not expensive to own. If you keep up with maintenance, it will never strand you and will last as long as you can drive it.

Hope that helps.
Ok thanks for all your info. I am not really handy mechanically but will do my own breaks and oil changes. But for everything else I will probably take to a garage close by to home that specializes on BMW's. I just hope that my 2 BMW's will treat me kind as did my Acura RSX
I did spend about 2K last year on repairs on my acura and to me that was fine. I do know that cars are expensive to fix but some people on here make it sound that if you have to repair a BMW that you need a second mortgage...
Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM

When u get work done at the stealership u do. And u also need to sell a kidney or two

Old 12-16-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Lots of bashing on these forums because most posts are about problems and problem resolution (or lack there of). It's the nature of the forums. No one wants to read thousands of posts about cars with no problems.

BMWs are not unique. My old Porsche cost me $1,000 every time I visited the dealer. As stated here many times, the higher the price and more complex a car, the higher the cost of maintenance and repair. For those who don't want to become an auto mechanic, be very thankful that you have a dealer (or an independent) with people trained and practiced in taking care of your car. Good quality maintenance is like gold, worth almost any price.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x3 28i
Like my x3. a lot went into designing this sav. Right now it is the "The Ultimate Driving Machine". If I wanted to check my oil with a dipstick or carry around a spare tire, I would drive my Honda or jeep or Dakota pick up. If it becomes the ultimate driving nightmare I will be sure to let you know
Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX328i View Post
I notice that almost everything I read in here is negative towards BMW. Is their anything positive about them?
I have the same perception but, when I stop to think about it, I come to the conclusion it is not an accurate perception. There are a small handful of people posting here that globally bad mouth BMW for 100% non-constructive reasons. A good example is the dude a few months ago that called BMW a "train wreck" because of a recall. Dramatic, albeit very misleading, comments like this get much more than their fair share of notice. That is just the nature of things.

I think most people here are either BMW enthusiasts (where I see myself) or have a BMW and just want to resolve something or learn more about it. I just like the fit and feel of BMWs and I love the way most (but not all) of them look. My first BMW was a new E30 M3 in 1988 and it has been love ever since. No other car, except for maybe Porsche, provides the experience that BMWs do. Every BMW I have had just makes me enjoy finding an excuse to drive somewhere.

This does not mean I have not had issues with my cars. BMWs design decisions are sometimes very strange IMO and none of my BMWs have provided me with the incredible trouble free reliability that the Toyota/Lexus products I have owned have provided. Nevertheless, as an example, I would not consider, even for a nanosecond, trading my X3 for the ultra reliable Lexus SUV we also have. I have a 2002 Z3 I bought new. The car is not the best designed car with respect to non-power train items and in fact is pretty poor in many respects. However, I have never had a vehicle I enjoy driving as much as that Z3 and I intend to keep it until it is just not maintainable anymore.

In other words, BMWs are not perfect by any means but they provide such a satisfying experience in so many respects I am willing to accept some shortcomings that I probably would never find acceptable on a totally boring car such as a Lexus. The fact I might talk about these shortcomings does not at all mean I am negative toward BMW.

Last edited by RhoXS; 12-16-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
As stated here many times, the higher the price and more complex a car, the higher the cost of maintenance and repair. For those who don't want to become an auto mechanic, be very thankful that you have a dealer (or an independent) with people trained and practiced in taking care of your car. Good quality maintenance is like gold, worth almost any price.
Good maintenance is where it's at! As I related in my cooling system note above: proactively nabbing it was a couple hours and around $200 in parts. Had I not caught it and it blew up on the road, I would be looking at being stranded, getting towed, and possibly a multi thousand dollar cylinder head damage.

As for the complexity of a car: at the end of the day that hunk of metal under the hood that is covered with sensors and wires, and has pretty plastic fairings on it is still a plain ol' engine. You just can't be intimidated by it. There isn't anything high-tech or more complex about a leaking gasket, whether it is on a BMW, Acura, or Toyota.

If you are worried about the computer, there is a $50 android app that you can stick on an Android tablet or phone, use a cheap bluetooth OBD interface and you can fully diagnose your BMW just like the pro's It is invaluable if doing your own wrenching as well as if not as you will see what your tech sees.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
^What's the name of that app? I can't seem to find it in the play store.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavius99 View Post
^What's the name of that app? I can't seem to find it in the play store.
First a nice one to have is Torque. It is real good at realtime data logging.

The one I was talking about is called BMWhat by iViNi-apps. There is "lite" and there is the $50 regular one. The lite version does little more than log a session with your car, then you send it to the author via email and he will decode it for you and tell you if the app fully works with your car (he only just got F series working). Once given the OK, you can confidently buy the regular version knowing it will work with your car.

Support good software authors like this who produce good stuff for the community-don't pirate software.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Great post, Rho and precisely reflects my attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I have the same perception but, when I stop to think about it, I come to the conclusion it is not an accurate perception. There are a small handful of people posting here that globally bad mouth BMW for 100% non-constructive reasons. A good example is the dude a few months ago that called BMW a "train wreck" because of a recall. Dramatic, albeit very misleading, comments like this get much more than their fair share of notice. That is just the nature of things.

I think most people here are either BMW enthusiasts (where I see myself) or have a BMW and just want to resolve something or learn more about it. I just like the fit and feel of BMWs and I love the way most (but not all) of them look. My first BMW was a new E30 M3 in 1988 and it has been love ever since. No other car, except for maybe Porsche, provides the experience that BMWs do. Every BMW I have had just makes me enjoy finding an excuse to drive somewhere.

This does not mean I have not had issues with my cars. BMWs design decisions are sometimes very strange IMO and none of my BMWs have provided me with the incredible trouble free reliability that the Toyota/Lexus products I have owned have provided. Nevertheless, as an example, I would not consider, even for a nanosecond, trading my X3 for the ultra reliable Lexus SUV we also have. I have a 2002 Z3 I bought new. The car is not the best designed car with respect to non-power train items and in fact is pretty poor in many respects. However, I have never had a vehicle I enjoy driving as much as that Z3 and I intend to keep it until it is just not maintainable anymore.

In other words, BMWs are not perfect by any means but they provide such a satisfying experience in so many respects I am willing to accept some shortcomings that I probably would never find acceptable on a totally boring car such as a Lexus. The fact I might talk about these shortcomings does not at all mean I am negative toward BMW.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 12-17-2013, 08:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoxs View Post
i have the same perception but, when i stop to think about it, i come to the conclusion it is not an accurate perception. There are a small handful of people posting here that globally bad mouth bmw for 100% non-constructive reasons. A good example is the dude a few months ago that called bmw a "train wreck" because of a recall. Dramatic, albeit very misleading, comments like this get much more than their fair share of notice. That is just the nature of things.

I think most people here are either bmw enthusiasts (where i see myself) or have a bmw and just want to resolve something or learn more about it. I just like the fit and feel of bmws and i love the way most (but not all) of them look. My first bmw was a new e30 m3 in 1988 and it has been love ever since. No other car, except for maybe porsche, provides the experience that bmws do. Every bmw i have had just makes me enjoy finding an excuse to drive somewhere.

This does not mean i have not had issues with my cars. Bmws design decisions are sometimes very strange imo and none of my bmws have provided me with the incredible trouble free reliability that the toyota/lexus products i have owned have provided. Nevertheless, as an example, i would not consider, even for a nanosecond, trading my x3 for the ultra reliable lexus suv we also have. I have a 2002 z3 i bought new. The car is not the best designed car with respect to non-power train items and in fact is pretty poor in many respects. However, i have never had a vehicle i enjoy driving as much as that z3 and i intend to keep it until it is just not maintainable anymore.

In other words, bmws are not perfect by any means but they provide such a satisfying experience in so many respects i am willing to accept some shortcomings that i probably would never find acceptable on a totally boring car such as a lexus. The fact i might talk about these shortcomings does not at all mean i am negative toward bmw.
+1

2007 C260 4Matic - sold
2006 350Z Roadster - sold
To many others to bother with...