Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 12-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: M3
To 3 or not to 3?

Just made a move to purchase a 2002 BMW M3. 120k, 6-speed manual, with tons of extras (BBS Wheels, Exhaust, Mid-Pipe, Dinan Stage 2 Software, roll cage, coilovers, etc) overall he has about 10k just in upgraded parts alone. We agreed upon a price of 15k but after the inspection these problem areas were found:

Replace power steering hose (pump to rack) (Found steering system leak)
Replace both rear axle seals (Found rear differential leak)
Replace oil pan gasket (Found engine oil leak)
Replace rear differential pinion seal (Found rear differential leak)

Would these issues be a deal breaker in your book? At the minimum I'm thinking of asking him to drop it 1k, but I'm not sure even then if I want to fix all those little headaches? It also hasn't had a valve adjustment since he's owned it so it will need that too. So, now I'm weighing whether the mods are going to be worth the maintenance issues at that price? Any thoughts?
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2013, 03:36 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
To 3 or not to 3?

Price is slightly high for 120K miles even if you didn't have to replace all those seals and the hose.

And remember, don't ever pay for secondhand mods. No matter what they are, they usually aren't worth anything.

Plus, all those mods indicate that the car was run pretty damn hard. I would stay away from this one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-16-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Yes, it's hard to not get sucked into the cost of mods enticement but that is generally the rule to live by. Thanks for the quick response. Also, the tranny has been rebuilt so that is one area that I don't have to worry about. The biggest draw perhaps though is the Alpine White with Red Interior. Hard to find so is there a price that you think you'd get it for?

p.s. Many of the mods were done recently. He admitted that he has taking the car drag racing but never got around to autocrossing or road racing because he just got the cage in and then winter hit. It looks in show car condition more than raced out (Subs, amps, Alpine Nav, etc) so I don't think it's been beat to hell but never the less it has some issues that I'm assuming can really add up on an M3.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:09 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
To 3 or not to 3?

Since it's a manual tranny, they weren't known for any big issues anyway, don't let him make the tranny rebuild a big selling point. The SMG was the issue. I'm a sucker for a white M3 on red, but personally I would offer 11,500 or 12, and if he says no, I would go find another. There are plenty of clean E46s out there thankfully. Maybe you'll have to compromise on the color, but hey, that's life!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app