Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 325I
Radio Reception

I hope I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

I just purchased a 2003 BMW 325i. The last owner (maybe) had replaced the Business Radio with an after market stereo and it's not getting any stations whatsoever. I have looked online and it appears that this model utilizes some kind of amplifier for the antenna and the antenna actually is the rear window?

I would like to re-fit the original business radio/CD player in it. I would also like to know how the antenna in this model works? I actually purchased a "fin" antenna just in case I couldn't figure anything else out.

If anybody has any ideas for me please let me know.

Thank you,

Kevin Rogers
Boise, ID
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo409 View Post
I hope I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here.

I just purchased a 2003 BMW 325i. The last owner (maybe) had replaced the Business Radio with an after market stereo and it's not getting any stations whatsoever. I have looked online and it appears that this model utilizes some kind of amplifier for the antenna and the antenna actually is the rear window?

I would like to re-fit the original business radio/CD player in it. I would also like to know how the antenna in this model works? I actually purchased a "fin" antenna just in case I couldn't figure anything else out.

If anybody has any ideas for me please let me know.

Thank you,

Kevin Rogers
Boise, ID
I suspect the aftermarket radio is not connected to an antenna or antenna amplifier was bypassed (it could be shot.) BTW -there are two different kinds of antenna amps. When you buy a stock head unit, make sure the amp is the right one for it or you'll have to buy install another one. Search the threads - lots of discussions about this.

Last edited by vandyboy; 12-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM

Smile

Thank you. I searched the threads and some kind soul posted step-by-step instructions + photos of each step on how to safely remove the rear pillar molding in order to reveal the R window electrical/audio grid and recommends checking the connections (as you also suggest) and then recommends some kind of glue to reattach them securely. As soon as it warms up a bit I think I can't wait to give it a try! Thanks again!
Now all I have to do is find a Business Radio at a reasonable price!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The E46`s window-mount antenna is well-known for it`s mediocre performance. The convertible E46 utilizes a standard fender-mount antenna, which gives far superior reception.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 330ci vert
If you're wanting the oem I say go for it. Don't let others on here sway you. Some seem to be on here for that purpose alone.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexellak View Post
If you're wanting the oem I say go for it. Don't let others on here sway you. Some seem to be on here for that purpose alone.
And some seem to have no purpose at all....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-18-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
And some seem to have no purpose at all....
As expected FastBlob.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drexellak View Post
What was that for? I didn't see where anyone tried to 'sway him' it was only mentioned that the window mounted antenna isn't as good as a cowl mount.
That is the reason GM (they used to have them in the windshield but they didn't work well unless you were in a strong signal area).
Old 12-18-2013, 09:34 PM

I appreciate Wulff's, Vandyboy's drexellak's and everybody else's kind advice. I am going to restore it to it's original audio condition and see if I can understand what the BMW engineers had in mind when they came up with this antenna system. I assume that car manufacturers had fender-mounted antennas back in 2003 and BMW could have followed suit? I wonder what they had in mind would be an improvement on the typical cowl-mounted antennas? Oh well, I'll probably learn the hard way (like most everything else I do), I couldn't afford this car when it was new, you see, and my outfitting it like it was when it was new is so I get to imagine what it must have felt, sounded and drove like when it was new. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
The E46`s window-mount antenna is well-known for it`s mediocre performance. The convertible E46 utilizes a standard fender-mount antenna, which gives far superior reception.
I guess adopting OEM convertible antenna could be some spare plan then, if original doesn't want to work too well.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
What was that for? I didn't see where anyone tried to 'sway him' it was only mentioned that the window mounted antenna isn't as good as a cowl mount.
That is the reason GM (they used to have them in the windshield but they didn't work well unless you were in a strong signal area).
I'm sure he is. He's also one of the most negative people on this forum.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
Thanks, I myself did a little research into the strange OEM antenna and it said in a BMW service bulletin that the 'computer' turned various antenna 'wires' on and off depending on which direction the received signal was coming from!
Being a HAM radio guy I found that interesting and I wondered if the "computer" BMW is talking about was the ECM main computer or a separate 'box' that some were calling an adapter?
I too like the clean look on my BMW and would try to use the original if possible, if you do have to go with a fender mounted system you could use the motorized kind to have it flush when the radio is turned off.
Good luck, let us know how you come out.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Thank you Wulff! That is VERY interesting for sure! I will enjoy sleuthing that possibility!
Merry Christmas to you and all my new friends!