Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-18-2013, 09:14 PM
Bossin' hard

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
This belongs in a suspension thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
It`s The Holidays....let`s think happier thoughts for a minute....
I like where this thread is going!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Re: Where can I buy oem sport suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
It`s The Holidays....let`s think happier thoughts for a minute....
Daaaaaayum!

You think Amazon can get one of those to me before Christmas?

Just checked...........In stock!! Put 2 ( 4? ) in the cart & checked out ! Just made it ! Delivery will be December 24th !.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-19-2013, 12:19 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
When I had my ZHP springs replaced, I didn't want to lower it further. Didn't have time to research aftermarket springs so my mechanic ordered OEM from a dealership without warning me about the price. $600. I wanted to vomit.

And yes, the originals were broken. It took 104k miles though.

So is there an aftermarket spring set that's the same ride height as the ZHP, which I think is the same as Sport?
Eibach Pro Kit is not far off 'Sport' height but much better riding due to the variable rate springs. Matched with Koni FSD shocks you get the ride and handling an E46 should have had from the factory.........
Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW Z3 Coupe 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlgaMPM View Post
Eibach Pro Kit is not far off 'Sport' height but much better riding due to the variable rate springs. Matched with Koni FSD shocks you get the ride and handling an E46 should have had from the factory.........
this makes me feel better as i got koni FSDs and eibach pros for my Z3. they didnt make one of the "package" kits but i still went this route. will install over this winter and report results. oh, and i plan on tracking it (although primarily a DD) starting in the spring

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-19-2013, 02:14 AM

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklemejoviemo View Post
this makes me feel better as i got koni FSDs and eibach pros for my Z3. they didnt make one of the "package" kits but i still went this route. will install over this winter and report results. oh, and i plan on tracking it (although primarily a DD) starting in the spring

Not really tracking suspension. And make sure LCA's, FCAB's, and RTAB's are new or nearly new.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Not really tracking suspension. And make sure LCA's, FCAB's, and RTAB's are new or nearly new.
i know its not straight up sport, but i couldnt justify $2,700 tck. however, i heard while the bilstein sports were good handling wise they werent the greatest around town. and i live near boston, so lets face it, that was a no go. upon more research, i got the general consensus that fsd offered kind of the best of both worlds. also, at the time i wasnt intending on tracking it until i met my buddy. i figure if it turns out i need something more serious, ill toss the fsd and eibachs on my moms roady

Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Thanks, I did get the FSD's, they are awesome.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:45 AM

maybe a brief review?

Old 12-19-2013, 10:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticklemejoviemo View Post
maybe a brief review?
Wanna know about FSD's? I wrote this a few years ago when I first had them on my car:

My disclaimer is that these are all my own perceptions and might not be what you feel if you did this evaluation. I did pay close attention under various situations as you will see, but have logged only about three and a half hours of drive time so far. If things seem different down the road, I’ll surely do a long term recap and report here.

I’m writing this to try to portray precisely what the FSD shock installation on my e46 feels like under various conditions. Not to just say “better ride/better handling”, but to explain in detail where you will feel the changes. I want to get you as close to knowing what you’d be getting if you made this switch to decide if this is the setup for you. It’s too large a commitment of money plus labor to leave to pure experimentation.
I have the 330Ci with sport suspension with staggered tire setup and manual transmission. I left the oem springs on the car. I might have gone with stiffer springs if I could have found some with no decrease in ride height, but I didn’t want a lowered car for the current horrible road maintenance I find all around the USA.

At first it’s a little disconcerting to drive down the road with my new FSD’s because the suspension feels as if it has an added mush factor. I normally associate this with bad/isolated handling, but that just isn’t so in this instance. All the normal feedback that keeps you thinking the suspension is tight and ready for business has turned into a soft ride that removes the ‘harsh’ factor. And that’s one of the primary large differences, no more ‘harsh’. The car still feels solidly connected to the road, but the wince-producing slap of small potholes, road patches, and banging of highway separators is greatly reduced. You get just enough isolation to yield the quality of ride improvement claimed by all.
But the surprise is that when pushed thru a normal corner, the car handles better than before, but seemingly with less stress. I found myself going faster with a more sure feeling of stability. When I thought about the event immediately after, I realized there is a softness added to taking corners at a higher speed with a more relaxed sense of control. I have to attribute this to the Koni’s keeping better contact of the tires with the road while somehow delivering a smoother ride.
Long sweeping curves such as a large clover leaf highway entrance (taken hard) also reveal more. I think I was able to take my favorite much faster, but felt that the hunting requiring constant steering correction was gone. (I might have guessed that bad control arm bushings has been replaced with new ones had I not known what I installed) This translates to going faster, with a more stable feeling, and requiring less skill from me. The car does a better job. I was more relaxed at a higher level of performance. In retrospect, every time I do something with this increased capability, I think about why it feels strange, and the answer is always that it feels smoother at the limit. And that’s weird.

Perhaps of a more subtle nature, I believe even the straight line tracking was affected. I felt as I was driving on a straight country road, the car didn’t require as much constant minor correction to stay in my lane.

It’s going to take some getting used to regarding perceiving a softer riding car as capable. But when the car is going fast and working hard there are no second thoughts. It will be interesting to see what my long term reactions are, but so far I think I like it all. No regrets. Very impressed.

And now here in Dec '13 and 60K miles later I still have the same opinions.
I use my car primarily to drive cross country and we never get tired of being in the car for many hours a day.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
And now here in Dec '13 and 60K miles later I still have the same opinions.
I use my car primarily to drive cross country and we never get tired of being in the car for many hours a day.
Thats awesome! I know this is not intended as a true sport suspension, but this is what i was looking for in the first place. If i get real serious with tracking where I need to reconsider my setup, ill worry about it then, and until then ill look forward to the fsds

i realiazed that your original review was one of the more in depth ones that actually got me to pull the trigger on them, so thanks for being thorough!