Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: Acura TL
Steering Malfunction

My 2013 X3 developed a problem with the steering. While I realize that any car can have problems, my criticism is their poor supply chain management. While travelling (500 miles from home) I lost the power steering. Displayed on the screen was “steering malfunction". I had the car towed to the nearest dealership. The next day I was told they reprogrammed the car and it was ready. Next morning (Thanksgiving) I started the car only to find the problem was not fixed. Returned car to dealer and I was told they have to order a new module from Germany and could not order it until Dec 5th and it would take 10 to 15 days before they would have the part and I may not have the car back until after Christmas. When I complained to BMW USA I was told they have been trying to correct the USA parts supply problem. Needless to say I am still 500 miles from home and not too happy. The dealership has been god to deal with - they did give me a loaner but I need to return before driving home as this dealer owns their loaner cars. I would have to rent a car and then submit for reimbursement that I may or may not receive. I was also told by BMW USA they only would deliver the car within 250 miles after it is fixed. Even though I love the car, this will be my last unless they can show an improvement with parts availability.
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 xDrive35i
Sorry for your woes. It would be interesting to know if some of the other "foreign" car manufactures in the U.S. have similar supply issues. Regardless of where they are, most manufacturers are dependent on parts from around the world and, given the number of parts in cars nowadays, maintaining a good supply is challenging. Not excusing BMW but I suspect that the popularity of their vehicles has exacerbated the problem.

The other problem occurs when a car gets old. I used to be able to visit my local Chevrolet dealer and get parts for my 15 year old vehicles. Not any more. Unless they can be found in a junk yard, they are not available.

Please let us know if your problem is resolved.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:37 AM

Customer Service?????

It is not only the poor supply chain management but their lack of customer service that is evident. There is no reason I should still be waiting for an answer from them regarding my options. 1. Will they provide a vehicle for me to drive back home if my car is not ready? (loaner or rental - If rental will they pay for the total amount?). 2. Will my car be delivered to my home (500 miles away) or do they expect me to make my own arrangements? I was told onMonday, 12/2 that they would get back to me and I have not heard back. When I talked with a rep yesterday I was told they are still working on it.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
Curious, since you have the new technology EPS, what happened when the power steering was lost - did the car revert to manual steering ?
Old 12-10-2013, 10:04 AM

It was harder than any non-power steering I ever driven!
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlyankee View Post
It was harder than any non-power steering I ever driven!
I bet if you learned to drive on a six year old 1954 Chevy Belaire Convertable you wouldn't say that.

Anyone remember the B&W 1950 television commercials, when power steering first became an extra cost option (on Chrysler products if I remember correctly), showing smiling blonds steering with just a finger? My Dad's big heavy metal 1960 Buick Electra had power steering and it was indeed totally effortless to steer but there was zero feed back from the tires.

Last edited by RhoXS; 12-10-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Steering Malfunction

I am sorry to hear this, but BMW is well known for its poor parts availability. Not surprised.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-11-2013, 02:56 PM

Beware of steering module problems being more widespread.

[QUOTE=RhoXS;8006230]I bet if you learned to drive on a six year old 1954 Chevy Belaire Convertable you wouldn't say that.

I learned to drive on a farm with a 1952 Hudson (sitting on Telephone books with an extension to the throttle and brake petals) no power steering - Less effort!

Beware, seems there may be a problem with the steering module as there is a large back order for this part. No word as to when I can expect the car back.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Update (of sorts)

OK, Car has been at dealership for almost 3 weeks - still no word as to when the part will arrive. Although now I am told that it is a steering rack that is on order (not a module). While the dealerships (where purchased and location of breakdown) have been accommodating, I find it disappointing that the customer focus from BMW is lacking.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
OK, Car has been at dealership for almost 3 weeks - still no word as to when the part will arrive. Although now I am told that it is a steering rack that is on order (not a module). While the dealerships (where purchased and location of breakdown) have been accommodating, I find it disappointing that the customer focus from BMW is lacking.
If your car is less than one year old, you might want to check into your state's lemon law.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:26 PM

ctlyankee,

Did you local dealership provide a comparable vehicle in the interim? If so, while it may be a pain, I'd say it's not a bad deal. You're not putting miles on your own car (I assume it's yours and not leased) while you wait for the problem to be resolved. This doesn't seem like a lack of customer focus to me. And BMW NA has to be pretty incentivized to improve the parts problem. It's costing them a lot to provide you with a vehicle while you wait and it doesn't help their reputation either.

Hope your situation is resolved soon. If, for whatever reason, they can't solve the problem, then it's time to explore other solutions. Until then, I'd give them the opportunity to make it right. If they can't solve the problem, they may make you an offer you can't refuse. Worst case: you can always resort to litigation or a lemon law. I'd worry about that if and when there is no alternative.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:35 PM

This is why

The dealer where my x3 is at this time did give me a loaner (2014 328i xdrive). This is not why I am saying there is a lack of customer focus. I am 500 miles from home and I was informed by a BMW USA rep that they would not pay more than $62/day for a rental for me to drive home. In addition they would not deliver the car when ready as the limit is 250 miles. After several phone calls they did agree to paying for an AWD vehicle and will deliver the car home when ready. The dealer where I bought the car has agreed to give me a loaner, if needed, when I get home.

My main complaint is they should have volunteered to do this without my complaining. It is no fun to be 500 miles from home and having to worry as to how you will get home and how will you get your car. Also, Shortly after I get home I will be driving to Florida to spend a vacation kayaking. I already paid for a rental on a house. I am not sure they will have my car back to me by then. I could be out $2500 as I am sure they will not give me a loaner to use for a month (driving 800 miles each way to Florida from Virginia)
Old 12-16-2013, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
If you haven't already done so, look into you state's lemon law, see if you qualify, and start the process.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 AM

Lemon Law

Unfortunately I have had the car just over the time period to be covered by the Lemon Law.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5d & '14 Honda Pilot
3 weeks is not too bad considering I had my first BMW X5 (E53) in 2002 where it developed a DME problem and the entire module was sent to NJ and then the part ordered from Germany, recoded, and then sent back to the dealer for installation by a Master BMW tech.
Took over 6 weeks but got it back running better than before with much improved gas mileage.

Guess certain parts originate from Germany still to this day....
That's sad since the X is made here in South Carolina....
Old 12-17-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3, 2011 328i
I sent in my iPhone under warranty. Apple sent new referb phone same day from somewhere in China or Hong Kong (cant remember). The new phone arrived 24-36 hours after I hung up the phone with Apple.

My point is, other companies can send stuff out in a day or two, why are we okay with BMW taking weeks to ship parts from Germany?

I think I read that Audi doesnt have this problem... parts are shipped out and delivered to Audi delers in the US within a day.
2006 X3 (03/07 - 1/12)
1995 325i (05/06 - 3/09)
1985 325e (08/00 - 12/04)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:08 AM

Update

I was just informed that the part was shipped out yesterday and the dealership should have in 5 to 7 days. I am hopeful that they have my car ready by the time I have to leave on the 24th. Apparently BMW in Germany received the parts on the 12th and they have a 2 to 3 day turn around. At least I have an idea when to expet my car back.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:16 PM

+1 on the complaint issue. Shouldn't be required and they would help their reputation a lot if they were more proactive with the help. Please let us know how it works out. I'm worried that the part may arrive but not solve the problem...
Old 12-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I'm worried that the part may arrive but not solve the problem...
I don't want to think about that!
Old 12-17-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman103099 View Post
I sent in my iPhone under warranty. Apple sent new referb phone same day from somewhere in China or Hong Kong (cant remember). The new phone arrived 24-36 hours after I hung up the phone with Apple.

My point is, other companies can send stuff out in a day or two, why are we okay with BMW taking weeks to ship parts from Germany?

I think I read that Audi doesnt have this problem... parts are shipped out and delivered to Audi delers in the US within a day.
I agree that it should not take weeks to get a part but apparently this part was on back order.

Last edited by ctlyankee; 12-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
Shouldn't be required and they would help their reputation a lot if they were more proactive with the help. Please let us know how it works out. ...
I AGREE
Old 12-18-2013, 01:29 PM

Part arrived

OK, the steering rack arrived at the dealership this afternoon. I was told if all goes well I should have my car back tomorrow. Hopefully this corrects the problem.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: x3
mine failed @ 100 miles. The steering is very difficult after that. Just try turn the wheel without the motor running.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Replaced Steering Rack

They completed the repairs yesterday but held overnight to run more tests. Everything checked out and I picked the car up this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will not have additional problems (at least steering malfunction). Noticed the BMW on line was not working but that can wait until I get home next week as everything else is working and I rarely use the online function. If I need something I will use the concierge.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i-M Space Grey
Quote:
They completed the repairs yesterday but held overnight to run more tests. Everything checked out and I picked the car up this afternoon. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will not have additional problems (at least steering malfunction). Noticed the BMW on line was not working but that can wait until I get home next week as everything else is working and I rarely use the online function. If I need something I will use the concierge.
In the connected drive menu there is something akin to "update services" or "request services update" that will contact BMW and refresh your teleservices subscription and everythhing will start working again.