Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 335is & 10 535 msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have the 18" with the PS-2's, and notice the same issue- especially when I first got the car. I had been driving a VW GTI with Bilstien PSS-10's for the previous five years. You can say what you want about FWD, but that car handled much better than this one. There is still much to like with it, just trying to decide whether to buy it off lease and upgrade the suspension, or trade it on something else.
Thanks for the valuable input. Disappointed to hear that you and others with 18" wheels are also experiencing issues...I had hoped that 18" wheels would be more of a difference maker. Really disappointed that one has to spend significant dollars sorting this suspension
Old 12-20-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
I have the 18" with the PS-2's, and notice the same issue- especially when I first got the car. I had been driving a VW GTI with Bilstien PSS-10's for the previous five years. You can say what you want about FWD, but that car handled much better than this one. There is still much to like with it, just trying to decide whether to buy it off lease and upgrade the suspension, or trade it on something else.

Mine grossly surpasses my son's GTI. Have done bit o'modding, suspension. -- now have little to complain about.

But no matter what I did, car still weighed 4000 lb!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:01 PM
My avatar is a selfie LOL

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 DCT
335is handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

But no matter what I did, car still weighed 4000 lb!
I hear that, brother.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Old 12-21-2013, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i
335is handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOALE View Post
EXACTLY what I was trying to communicate: "The rear feels like it gets bounced out of place a little when hitting a rough spot on the road".

Appreciate everyone's feedback. I like the look of 19" wheels so best case would be to resolve this with a switch to 19" go-flats. However, it doesn't sound like that is a sure thing and, consequently, would sign me up for another couple of suboptimal years @ 10k miles/year. Therefore, I'm thinking about starting with 18" wheels AND go flats. If that doesn't get it all the way done then I go to Koni FSD. Down the road I may also consider LSD and M3 control arms and bushings because there appears to be no downside to those mods.
If it were me, I'd change the order of things from what you've listed.

I went from run-flats to PSS. Yes, the car rides & handles much better, but in the end, you end up having this wobble at higher speed - it doesn't eliminate it.

I would do shocks and rear subframe bushings at the same time, and the see what I've got. Wheels/tires will be 2k minimum, and it won't fix your issue. BMW equipped E9X M3s with 19's, and they don't have this issue. I've got 18's (BMW M193s) and Michelin Super Sports and I have this issue.

I did the two-day school at the BMW Perfirmance Center. On day 2 they bring out several BMWs for you to drive. The most striking thing about the M3 was how composed it was over bumps that The Z4, X6M, and others had trouble with. I ALMOST put the Z4 in the weeds, because I drove the M3 first and didn't know that a mid-corner bump even existed. On my first lap in the Z, I went into the corner quickly, and was completely surprised by a bump that the M didn't react to at all. In fact, on my first laps in the M, I was wondering why all the skid marks were headed from the apex out to the track edge in a straight line.

I was recently following a 911 through a sweeping on ramp, and found myself having to react to the wobble while he never lifted or showed any sign of bounce or stepping out.

Shock & bushings will make the biggest difference. Next I'd go with PSS on your original 19's, then finally M arms if you feel the need to complete the system.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatre View Post
If it were me, I'd change the order of things from what you've listed.

I went from run-flats to PSS. Yes, the car rides & handles much better, but in the end, you end up having this wobble at higher speed - it doesn't eliminate it.

I would do shocks and rear subframe bushings at the same time, and the see what I've got. Wheels/tires will be 2k minimum, and it won't fix your issue. BMW equipped E9X M3s with 19's, and they don't have this issue. I've got 18's (BMW M193s) and Michelin Super Sports and I have this issue.

I did the two-day school at the BMW Perfirmance Center. On day 2 they bring out several BMWs for you to drive. The most striking thing about the M3 was how composed it was over bumps that The Z4, X6M, and others had trouble with. I ALMOST put the Z4 in the weeds, because I drove the M3 first and didn't know that a mid-corner bump even existed. On my first lap in the Z, I went into the corner quickly, and was completely surprised by a bump that the M didn't react to at all. In fact, on my first laps in the M, I was wondering why all the skid marks were headed from the apex out to the track edge in a straight line.

I was recently following a 911 through a sweeping on ramp, and found myself having to react to the wobble while he never lifted or showed any sign of bounce or stepping out.

Shock & bushings will make the biggest difference. Next I'd go with PSS on your original 19's, then finally M arms if you feel the need to complete the system.

Guess what? That M3 you were impressed with would've been the only car you drove at the Performance Center that didn't have run flat tires. This should tell you something. I've never had high speed stability issues on run flat or go flat tires so I'd check your tire pressures. Sounds like you have too much air in them.

OP- Go with go flat tires. It will fix the issues you are having, and you won't be wasting thousands of extra dollars solving your issue.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoCervezas View Post
Guess what? That M3 you were impressed with would've been the only car you drove at the Performance Center that didn't have run flat tires. This should tell you something. I've never had high speed stability issues on run flat or go flat tires so I'd check your tire pressures. Sounds like you have too much air in them.

OP- Go with go flat tires. It will fix the issues you are having, and you won't be wasting thousands of extra dollars solving your issue.
Agreed...But some say, OEM suspensions that come w/ rf tires are tuned for such. So in going to conv tires one would want to make changes to suspension as well, no?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
Agreed...But some say, OEM suspensions that come w/ rf tires are tuned for such. So in going to conv tires one would want to make changes to suspension as well, no?
In the cars I've driven that made the switch, the changes have been nothing but positive.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
In the cars I've driven that made the switch, the changes have been nothing but positive.
Comfort, yes. Hi speed cornering, maybe...based on what I've read, but that could be under track conditions. Makes sense to me it's the whole pkg that will give the OP what he's looking for, as compared to an M3 type experience.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Comfort, yes. Hi speed cornering, maybe...based on what I've read, but that could be under track conditions. Makes sense to me it's the whole pkg that will give the OP what he's looking for, as compared to an M3 type experience.
I agree with everything you said, but I didn't think OP was looking to turn his car into an M3. I just think he wants his car to stop jumping to the side so much when hitting bumps on turns. I'm still confident that go flats will address the issue he stated.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, but I didn't think OP was looking to turn his car into an M3. I just think he wants his car to stop jumping to the side so much when hitting bumps on turns. I'm still confident that go flats will address the issue he stated.
The M3 type experience I was referring to is the ability to handle the jumping, or in this case non-jumping the OP wants to correct. Tires, suspension, etc will all go a long way to help out. Which comes first, ie chicken or the egg thing, is certainly an interesting debate. In the end I would think the thing that has the most contact to the road, tires, is an important consideration to address. We agree.

Last edited by daytrader; 12-21-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
The M3 type experience I was referring to is the ability to handle the jumping, or in this case non-jumping the OP wants to correct. Tires, suspension, etc will all go a long way to help out. Which comes first, ie chicken or the egg thing, is certainly an interesting debate. In the end I would think the thing that has the most contact to the road, tires, is an important consideration to address. We agree.
Well put compadre
Old 12-21-2013, 01:27 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:
Guess what? That M3 you were impressed with would've been the only car you drove at the Performance Center that didn't have run flat tires.
That's a well guarded BMW secret Its always the tires are the first thing to do.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 12-21-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:10 PM

335is handling

Quote:

I respectfully disagree.

The OP is complaint about the rear stepping out and wanting to correct that. There are two posts where people have changed tires and the rear still danced mid corner if there is a bump in the road.

I won't argue that tires make a huge difference in performance and in the enjoyment of driving the car. If the OP just wanted better handling I'd say tires first. But that's not where he wants to go, so that's why I advised as I did.

Tires will be a huge difference, BUT the car is still unsettled by midcorner bumps.

BTW, my pressures are fine. I've got plenty of race miles/hours (amateur -SCCA) under my belt, so I'm not giving advice that I'm not sure about. Having the rear dance on PSS's is much less frightening than in run flats. The PSS keep hanging on, when the Bridgestones said "F you, I quit!"

So it's a question of do you want to soil yourself less (tires) or fix the problem (shocks/bushings).

Old 12-21-2013, 02:20 PM

335is handling

Quote:
Guess what? That M3 you were impressed with would've been the only car you drove at the Performance Center that didn't have run flat tires. This should tell you something.
Actually, not correct. All cars at the Performance Center wear Continental go-flat tires. They have a commercial deal with the PC.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:00 PM
Corner Carving Addict

Mein Auto: 09 - 335i E92
I had the same issue as the OP, tires lose traction around turns with imperfect road conditions (just minor things, not potholes) and I got tired of it and tried a Non-runflat and it fixed the problem almost completely. It was one of the main reasons I switched from RFTs, I never felt I could really go into a corner without worrying about traction loss.

Try Non-RFTs first, cheapest solution.
09 - 335i E92 / Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown / Dark Burl / Step / Comfort Access / Rear Sunshade / Heated Seats / PDC / iDrive / Sat. Radio / iPod & USB / Prem Pkg / Sport Pkg / OEM Alarm / Ventus V12 (Non-RFT) / V1 and other goodies...
Old 12-21-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Wobble st speed?

No wobble.

You got an unaddressed issue.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:06 PM

335is handling

Wobble meaning side-step when cornering at speed & encountering a bump while turning. Straight line is stable, cornering on smooth asphalt is solid. Bump in corner = wide eyes & 1/2 lane shift before car regains footing.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
If its worth doing it must be worth overdoing.

The stock 3 Series sport suspension was very poorly sorted out and was not compliant enough. The combination of the overly stiff OEM dampers, the stiff sidewalls on the RFT tires and the low profile of the tires were a perfect storm that made the car very bad at dealing with anything less than pristine road surfaces.

I also experienced the stepping out of the rear end on bumpy curves. I named this phenomenon CTO or "Crappy Tire Oversteer". As I previously posted replacing the RFTs with Go Flats helped a lot and replacing the crap OEM shocks with Koni FSDs took the car to another level.

The problem with the stock suspension was that it was too stiff and too stiff can be as detrimental to handling as too soft. The stiff sidewalls of the RFTs can give the illusion of good handling due to their "crisp" turn in but in reality a certain amount of side wall flex (or 'Slip Angle") is required for maximum grip.

The overly stiff OEM dampers on my 335i with sport suspension caused the tires to bounce around and lose contact with the road surface (they are called 'Contact Patches" for a reason). I think the basic geometry of the suspension was OK but it was very poorly sorted out.

I find it rather ironic that I and others had to re-engineer the suspension of a car that is purported to be "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in order to make it usable on North American roads.

So to a certain point a stiffer suspension and tires with stiffer sidewalls will result in better handling but for both parameters there is a sweet spot and going beyond this sweet spot will cause more harm than good.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 12-23-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Actually, not correct. All cars at the Performance Center wear Continental go-flat tires. They have a commercial deal with the PC.

I never knew that, and should! Thanks for the inside info.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
The stock 3 Series sport suspension was very poorly sorted out and was not compliant enough. The combination of the overly stiff OEM dampers, the stiff sidewalls on the RFT tires and the low profile of the tires were a perfect storm that made the car very bad and dealing with anything less than pristine road surfaces.

I also experienced the stepping out of the rear end on bumpy curves. I named this phenomenon CTO or "Crappy Tire Oversteer". As I previously posted replacing the RFTs with Go Flats helped a lot and replacing the crap OEM shocks with Koni FSDs took the car to another level.

The problem with the stock suspension was that it was too stiff and too stiff can be as detrimental to handling as too soft. The stiff sidewalls of the RFTs can give the illusion of good handling due to their "crisp" turn in but in reality a certain amount of side wall flex (or 'Slip Angle") is required for maximum grip.

The overly stiff OEM dampers on my 335i with sport suspension caused the tires to bounce around and lose contact with the road surface (they are called 'Contact Patches" for a reason). I think the basic geometry of the suspension was OK but it was very poorly sorted out.

I find it rather ironic that I and others had to re-engineer the suspension of a car that is purported to be "The Ultimate Driving Machine" in order to make it usable on North American roads.

So to a certain point a stiffer suspension and tires with stiffer sidewalls will result in better handling but for both parameters there is a sweet spot and going beyond this sweet spot will cause more harm than good.

CA

Well explained. I have seen the other side of this when enthusiasts take good cars and make them worse with lowered springs, tight shocks and big rims with very low profile tires. The end result was a punishing ride, poor ground clearance and cars that would suddenly and without warning lose grip on tight corners. They were disasters waiting to happen on club tours even though they may have been faster at the track.

We don't push the limits of our car on public roads but I do appreciate the extra margin of protection that comes with a well balanced car that can go where I point it in a bad situation.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
Just found that the 335is does not have the same suspension as the 335i, the shocks and struts have been improved? Wonder what else...

Old 04-02-2014, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335is
I just wanted to pass on my experience after a few suspension upgrades. I plan on posting more about the mods soon although until then though it would be worth adding to this thread. I just had M3 suspension components installed front and rear arms, sways and sub-frame bushings. I also got a great deal on an Ohlins R&T kit as well. At the same time I had a new set to Michelin PS2s put on.

The car has simply been transformed! Roads/bumps that would make the rear move around, feel light, tossed, etc. now goes over like a knife slicing through butter! It is unreal. The rear now feels extremely planted and stable no matter what the road condition. Feel in the front is now quicker turning, more stable, and much more competent as well.

2011 335is
M3 suspension bits all around | Ohlins R&T | Vorshlag camber/caster plates | Wavetrac LSD | Goodridge PTFE SS brake lines
Old 04-02-2014, 08:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
I chose 18's for various reasons but have never encountered you're issue so.... Good luck here
Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23 View Post
I had the same issue as the OP, tires lose traction around turns with imperfect road conditions (just minor things, not potholes) and I got tired of it and tried a Non-runflat and it fixed the problem almost completely. It was one of the main reasons I switched from RFTs, I never felt I could really go into a corner without worrying about traction loss.

Try Non-RFTs first, cheapest solution.
Many reasons to make the switch
Old 04-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
I chose 18's for various reasons but have never encountered you're issue so.... Good luck here
I have 19's and have never encountered the OP's issue either?

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget