Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sport Pkg
My lil' foul weather rant

Here in lower NY state (not the city), we've had a couple slush/snow days so far. Also the temps have been hanging below normal (i.e., teens & 20's) for the past couple weeks too.

I bought my car in early March and almost never needed the washer fluid. Throughout the year, I've had little need for it as I like to keep the glass clean in general. So we get this little snow event pass us that drops about 5"+ during the day and it finishes by the end of work. So I clean off the car and proceed on my merry way home.

The roads have been plowed & salted recently making them mostly wet. As I'm cruising down the highway, I'm getting misted w/ crap. I tap the washer arm and nothing happens. Thinking a little snow may be obstructing the nozzle, I pull it again. Again, nothing comes out. As we've probably all experienced the delight of night driving w/ a smudged windshield. On top of that, I couldn't pull over to throw snow on it to melt/wash; plus it would've just happened all over again in a couple miles!

I had to go to the mall to get some crap and parked in the underground garage (cozy warm for the car to melt off). I check the nozzles and they're clear, showing no sign of any fluid at all.

When I come back to the car later I tried the washer again...lo' and behold it's works as it should. I was pissed to realize the dealer just filled the reserve w/ water (that froze in the lines). At least the motor isn't fried. So this weekend is going to be spent having fun emptying a full washer reserve to make room for my reliable & wonderful Prestone washer/bug cleaner fluid which has never failed me in all types of weather & temps.

I hope you enjoyed my little rant and Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all.

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Yes, I ran the Terminator 3 girl over to get this paint job!!!
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi Coupe
Why don't you just use half of it by washing the windshield and headlights and mix with the new washer that doesn't freeze?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i coupe
That is a new low for a dealership. Even the cheapest dealers I've dealt with used generic blue wiper fluid. The fluid in the tank is clear?
Old 12-19-2013, 04:39 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
That happened to me when I was getting my Tahoe serviced in Florida for a return trip to PA during the winter months. I'm driving up I-95 during freezing temps and the washers don't work. I got home to find out it was filled with water. But, at least the dealer in FL had an excuse because they have no need for window washer fluid mixed with antifreeze down there. Your BMW dealer in NY on the other hand?

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 12-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Even here in GA I empty our washer fluids late Nov and refill will the winter blend.

Had summer formula happily spray then instantly freeze over the windshield once.. at highway speed.. that's never going to happen again

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
My car was delivered with what I think is a solution of BMW washer fluid and water. Could be straight fluid for all I know. Needless to say I don't experience below freezing temps very much living in the Orlando area. Fields BMW in Orlando always fills my reservoir with the fluid or some mix of it when my cars are serviced. They even gave my daughter a bottle of it for free when she took the E46 in because the washer tank was empty.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post
When I come back to the car later I tried the washer again...lo' and behold it's works as it should. I was pissed to realize the dealer just filled the reserve w/ water (that froze in the lines). At least the motor isn't fried. So this weekend is going to be spent having fun emptying a full washer reserve to make room for my reliable & wonderful Prestone washer/bug cleaner fluid which has never failed me in all types of weather & temps.

Well shucks, son....why not take a little water out and add a concentrate? Or methanol?

Uh, methanol's a systemic poison that over time attacks the optic nerve. Certainly available and a component of most window wash fluids, but the straight stuff is way more concentrated.

Also, straight methanol burns with a colorless flame. Yow!
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 AM

I can't swear that's it's straight water, but just deduce that because there's no color or smell (not about to taste it either ) But I will probably see how much is left & hopefully not have to drain or run the washers to empty the reserve enough. Not too optimistic as I barely use the washers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Also, straight methanol burns with a colorless flame. Yow!
I guess that would really describe someone burnin' up the road!!!

2011 335xi Sport Package, Sapphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, 18" Beyern Staggered, Glossy Black Grill

Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
My lil' foul weather rant

Which dealer do u go to so I can avoid it?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-20-2013, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by stones399 View Post
I can't swear that's it's straight water, but just deduce that because there's no color or smell (not about to taste it either ) But I will probably see how much is left & hopefully not have to drain or run the washers to empty the reserve enough. Not too optimistic as I barely use the washers.

Have you considered moving west? I did, and my washers never freeze up.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
Texas solution to clogged washer fluid

Here in Texas, it does drop below 32f a few days per year. We just add a few jalepeno peppers
in the washer tank and the heat keeps the water from freezing.Gotcha!!
Merry Christmas to Bimmer buddies throughout this great country.

Mikey
Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post
Here in Texas, it does drop below 32f a few days per year. We just add a few jalepeno peppers

Mikey
Ya, I was Austin for the 2012 F1 race. Getting up early in the morning, the rental car would read upper 30's. But Central Texas in November had us stripping off the layers by 10am. So I guess instead of peppers, you could just be late for work if you wait a couple hours!

@surfcity335i:
I definitely would love to go west but most likely Southwest or Texas where people w/ common sense still live (NY is soooo frickin' out of control I wouldn't know where to start; probably the SAFE Act would be the top of the list)

@guyver626:
I'd rather not name the NJ dealer I went to because they've otherwise been good to me.

Merry Christmas to you too!

Old 12-20-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesevel View Post

Dang boy, I use Hot Sauce. Smears some but flows in all weathers.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
I call BS on the OP's dealer. Putting water in the tank is crazy. At Walmart a gallon of washer fluid is like two dollars. The dealer gets it way cheaper than that. Make the clients life more of a PITA at least and dangerous at worst. N4S
Old 12-21-2013, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
I feel for you guys who live and drive in the cold climates. I am in Calgary this week and just saw a new 428 xdrive in the parking garage in beautiful space gray and red interior, covered with white crud from driving the roads. I won't even drive mine in the rain and certainly not in the ice and snow (the few times we get it), so I feel for those of you that have to drive them in the winter weather. It will be a chore to clean them up in the spring, but at least if one has to drive in the winter in bad weather it is more fun in the BMW.....

Keep your distances and keep safe.

2013 335i - ED September 2012
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by irianjim View Post
i feel for you guys who live and drive in the cold climates. I am in calgary this week and just saw a new 428 xdrive in the parking garage in beautiful space gray and red interior, covered with white crud from driving the roads. I won't even drive mine in the rain and certainly not in the ice and snow (the few times we get it), so i feel for those of you that have to drive them in the winter weather. It will be a chore to clean them up in the spring, but at least if one has to drive in the winter in bad weather it is more fun in the bmw.....

Keep your distances and keep safe.
+1 n4s