Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-19-2013, 08:56 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Budders
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330Ci
E46 help! couple of codes

Hey whats up guys. So a few months ago my car threw these codes:

236 fuel trim bank 2 before cat
227 o2 bank 1
228 02 bank 2

I figured it was an o2 sensor to the best of my knowledge. Now its starting to feel a little more sluggish and bogging down after tapping the gas in neutral when cold. Seems like something is messed up with the fuel/air supply to me.

Hooked it back up to the scanner today and this is what I got.

P0313: Misfire detected with low fuel

P0300: Random / multiple cylinder misfire detected

P1352: Misfire during start cylinder 6

P1350: Misfire during start cylinder 5

P1349: Misfire cylinder 4 fuel cut - off

P1345: Misfire during start cylinder 2 with fuel cut - off

P0175: System too rich bank 2

P0172: System too rich bank 1

P0313: Misfire Detected with low fuel

P0300(again?): Random / multiple cylinder Misfire Detected

Also, a couple of weeks ago I ran the car at idle for about ten minutes on the side of a hill, the car bogged down and refused to stay running for more than a couple of seconds. Took ten minutes to get it going, kept stalling after every start. Had to keep my foot on the gas so it wouldn't stall. (not sure what this is about or if its related to these codes being thrown, this was the first issue I've had like this with the car.)

Im hoping its just an o2 sensor or something simple like that causing the rest of the fuel system to be off. Other thoughts, Fuel filter, MAF, Air filter... Let me know what you guys think.

Last edited by Budders; 12-19-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
You've got a lot going on there. You need to check many things:

Fuel pump - could be failing
Fuel filter - could be clogged
You can check fuel rail pressure to rule these out.

Coils - swap #5 with 1,2,3,or 4, see if the code moves. Same with #6.
DISA - remove and inspect for damage, check sealing gasket condition.
Idle Control Valve - bet it needs to be cleaned well
Intake hoses - could be cracked, look closely.
Spark plugs - how fresh?

My money is on fuel pump. I'd focus on fuel supply first.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
You've got a lot going on there. You need to check many things:

Fuel pump - could be failing
Fuel filter - could be clogged
You can check fuel rail pressure to rule these out.

Coils - swap #5 with 1,2,3,or 4, see if the code moves. Same with #6.
DISA - remove and inspect for damage, check sealing gasket condition.
Idle Control Valve - bet it needs to be cleaned well
Intake hoses - could be cracked, look closely.
Spark plugs - how fresh?

My money is on fuel pump. I'd focus on fuel supply first.
I was thinking fuel pressure issues too, especially with bogging out on the side of a hill. Although rich codes are counterintuitive. First I'd do is clean MAF and make sure air filter is in decent shape. A lot of times you get misfires from the underlying fuel/air problem, so personally I'd start there first and hope the misfires evaporate once the other problem is fixed.

Something that struck me - if you have a lot of misfiring, does that generate rich codes b/c unburned fuel may be getting to o2s?

The e46 wiki has info on fuel pressures, misfire troubleshooting, etc. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Pulled the airfilter today after work and it seems like it needs to be replaced. Ill do that tomorrow and clean the MAF. Pepboys only has offbrand 20$ air filters, im guessing I should pick up a OEM BMW filter? after clearing the codes last night and driving twenty miles today, no codes were thrown.. If it was a misfire shouldn't that pop up immediately?

Checked for vaccumm leaks with some 2+2 and absolutely nothing. Could the dirty airfilter cause the car to throw all these codes(hoping so)? The code scanner I have reads live data, any tips on what to look for to see if anything is out of the ordinary?

The car just doesnt get up and go like I think it should.. Feels like its not breathing right.
Old 12-20-2013, 05:53 PM

My filter is a cone for my sc intake tube so I don't remember what's recommended. I'd think an air filter would be ok to go generic. Interesting that codes aren't returning.

Once you got it started after the hill incident did you have any smoke? Smell of gas? Might need to drive it hard to set any codes again. Lots of stuff needs cleaning or replacing by 100k. Clean ICV and TB, replace pre-cat o2s and plugs. MAF should be cleaned every new air filter. Or by 60k. CCV starts to clog and can foul plugs.

Sometimes you get misfires on startup if the car sits for a few days between starts, especially with older plugs and high humidity from rain.

Bad MAF is also a possibility. There are YouTube vids on testing w a voltmeter.

Last edited by ahull; 12-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 PM

The car has been sitting because im in college so im only driving it every couple of weeks, two weeks ago it was completely dead after sitting for a month or better. maybe thats why it was throwing the misfire codes?
Old 12-20-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budders View Post
The car has been sitting because im in college so im only driving it every couple of weeks, two weeks ago it was completely dead after sitting for a month or better. maybe thats why it was throwing the misfire codes?
Yeah, that sounds like it.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:33 PM

Alright, so my goal for tomorrow will be to get a new air filter and clean the MAF sensor. I'm gonna drive up near harrisburg from philly on monday and it will be around a ~160 mile round trip. That should be long enough for any codes to pop up, ill report back then!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
Yeah, that sounds like it.
I sense a bit of sarcasm. Just a bit.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo
VENDORS USED: ECSTuning, German Auto Solutions, Oembimmer, Amazon, Nationwide Auto Parts (salvage)
BMAauto, Autohausz
Old 12-20-2013, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
I can help about the air filter, I sent you a PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmaria1 View Post
I sense a bit of sarcasm. Just a bit.
Lol. No I was exhausted and that was all I could muster. I really think its not unusual for these cars to misfire a bit on startup after they sit for a while. Still might be other stuff just waiting for the right moment though.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 PM

So I just replaced the air filter, and sprayed the MAF sensor. It seems like it picked up some power! something still doesnt seem right about the idle though, maybe im just being anal. Ill have to make a short vid and see if you guys think its normal. when you rev it to about 1500 and let off, it doesnt come down smoothly, it feels like its cutting out a little bit.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
So I just replaced the air filter, and sprayed the MAF sensor. It seems like it picked up some power! something still doesnt seem right about the idle though, maybe im just being anal. Ill have to make a short vid and see if you guys think its normal. when you rev it to about 1500 and let off, it doesnt come down smoothly, it feels like its cutting out a little bit.
Probably need to clean your ICV as well. It's a good idea to clean it every 60-80k. Might as well clean the TB while you're at it and put in a new TB gasket. And heck, if you're that far in, you're halfway through CCV system job.

Still a chance of fuel pressure issue. Some autozones will loan the pressure checkers.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Probably need to clean your ICV as well. It's a good idea to clean it every 60-80k. Might as well clean the TB while you're at it and put in a new TB gasket. And heck, if you're that far in, you're halfway through CCV system job.

Still a chance of fuel pressure issue. Some autozones will loan the pressure checkers.
Car stalled once today at a stop light, first time in a while. It feels like it can breath a little better with the new airfilter. I guess Ill have to test fuel pressure and clean the ICV. Im nervous about taking the DISA out, lol.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Car stalled once today at a stop light, first time in a while. It feels like it can breath a little better with the new airfilter. I guess Ill have to test fuel pressure and clean the ICV. Im nervous about taking the DISA out, lol.
DISA is a piece of cake. Just pull it straight out and don't put strain on it by angling it. Go slowly and listen for the flap pin dropping out. It's not common but can happen. If it's not making the marbles in a can noise you're probably fine. If the rebuild kit had been out when mine got noisy I would have rebuilt it vs. new.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 330i
Quote:
Cars don't stall unless there's an underlying issue. That might be an incendiary statement.
THINGS I'VE DONE: Cooling system refresh with radiator, key fob surgery, K&N filter (removed), pulleys and tensioners, ECSTuning aluminum w/p pulley, CCV cold weather, DISA gasket, OFHG, Fuel pump/filter PM, ZF auto trans fluid/filter, motor mounts, fcabs, 2nd trans fluid change, steering guibo
VENDORS USED: ECSTuning, German Auto Solutions, Oembimmer, Amazon, Nationwide Auto Parts (salvage)
BMAauto, Autohausz
Old 12-23-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
DISA is a piece of cake. Just pull it straight out and don't put strain on it by angling it. Go slowly and listen for the flap pin dropping out. It's not common but can happen. If it's not making the marbles in a can noise you're probably fine. If the rebuild kit had been out when mine got noisy I would have rebuilt it vs. new.
Don't hear any sounds like what your describing.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM

So i've driven well over 200 miles so far and no codes have been thrown since changing the air filter and spraying down the maf sensor. Seems to be running a little stronger.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So i've driven well over 200 miles so far and no codes have been thrown since changing the air filter and spraying down the maf sensor. Seems to be running a little stronger.
Gotta love it when it's something simple.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:38 PM

it still stalled once at a stop light like i mentioned a few posts above but other than that its been running smooth. I just find it weird that all those codes were being thrown and it just needed a new air filter. goddamn bmws. lol