Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: E46
Loss of power - please help

I recently had a problem with my throttle body sticking closed and decided to clean it myself, all seemed to go well and it was pretty dirty but now that it is back together I have a serious loss of power especially at low rpm.

I checked the disa valve and I suspect it is not 100% but the pin is still in it and it functioning.

I removed the idle control valve and I am not sure how to test it, I know its not sticking because when I hold it in my hand and twist it the valve turns very freely, maybe even to much so. if I connect the cable and turn the key on it vibrates and the valve still seems to be able to move by me shaking it. It also sounds like i might have a bad vacuum leake but I cant find anything.

And my intake boots are in good shape, not cracked or broken.

Any thoughts...
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Scan the codes and see what turns up....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 12-22-2013, 07:33 AM

No codes at all.

Also to add to that it takes a couple seconds of cranking to start and it occasionally stalls and dies but it seems to idle just fine.

last time I drove it before working on it the throttle body got stuck and the only way I got it to open was to spray throttle body cleaner directly into the intake with the motor running, I know I shouldnt but it got me home and thats what I needed. The can stated that it was safe for mass airflow sensor but could it have damaged it anyways?
Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000323 View Post
No codes at all.

Also to add to that it takes a couple seconds of cranking to start and it occasionally stalls and dies but it seems to idle just fine.

last time I drove it before working on it the throttle body got stuck and the only way I got it to open was to spray throttle body cleaner directly into the intake with the motor running, I know I shouldnt but it got me home and thats what I needed. The can stated that it was safe for mass airflow sensor but could it have damaged it anyways?
Sounds more like a fuel pressure issue. Does not always throw a code. Filter is a 60k miles item and pumps average 10 years. Could have a leak in vacuum to fuel pressure regulator on the filter.

You can loan a pressure checker from Autozone and check pressure. e46 wiki has pressures: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...05#post8014505
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 12-24-2013, 10:05 AM

I have already replaced the fuel pump and filter in the last year so I am going to assume that's not the issue but I will check on the vacuum leak. Where is the fuel pressure regulator located on a 2000 323i.

Also I am not unable to accept this as coincidence but I question why this would start immediately after working on my throttle body, before when it wasn't sticking closed I had plenty of power. I am willing to wager that I did something inadvertently that has caused a problem and like I said I will check everything I can but I think it will be related to some part of the intake or other component that I was working around.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Also I ordered a new Mass Airflow Sensor just to rule that out because when it is disconnected it seems to start easier, however I have not driven the car with it disconnected.

Is the fuel pressure regulator located directly in front of the filter?

Edit - Never mind I found it
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=13&fg=10

Last edited by 2000323; 12-24-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 PM

So I replaced the mass airflow sensor and took a close look around and turns out that I cracked a plastic 90 degree turn fitting for the vacuum line that runs down under the car (I expect that it does feed the fuel pressure regulator) and I was able to remove that fitting and figure out something else that worked OK and now it is running 100%

The idea of the fuel pressure being the cause was sort of right but my fuel pressure regulator is not in or on the filter like suggested, turns out I was right that it was just something that I did inadvertently while I was under the hood.

I consider myself a decent mechanic but boy was I surprised that I had broke that plastic fitting, stuff like that under the hood must be getting brittle with age.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Glad you got it figured out. Yeah the regulator is on the filter on the 325/330s. I forget it was different on earlier models. I agree the plastic gets brittle. One of the problems with the CCV hoses. If the valve doesn't clog the plastic in the hoses crumbles.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD