Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-20-2013, 09:08 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Cic ZHP
Record day for e46 spotting...

Spotted four other ZHPs' today in only about 2-hours of being out and about... two convertibles (one black, one silver), a silver coupe, and a black sedan.

I talked to the sedan owner for 10 or 15 minutes at the gas pumps. It was a 2003 with MT and Alcantara interior (black on black). Very nice! I was floored when he told me it had 193K miles on it. It sure didn't show; obviously a very well cared for car.

I must have seen 20+ other e46's in those 2-hours too, including five or six M3's. It's amazing how many of these are still on the road!

There were also four e36's and one e30, all looking very sharp! And, I can't begin to count how many later generation 3-series and other BMW's I saw.

A banner day for bimmers!
Advertisement
Old 12-20-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323Ci 3 Pedals
Me too.... Not as many as you did but at least 4 or 5. I love mine and am glad that they last for so long.
#bimmerpower
Old 12-21-2013, 03:35 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Record day for e46 spotting...

The best encounter I had was coming back from an auto-x at a gas station. I almost walked and got in the wrong car because it was exactly like mine. An E46 SMG ZHP sedan parked right beside mine.

When the other owner walked out he almost walked to my car lol. We talked for a bit and it was the same year and trans too (AT). I told him and his wife that I just came back from a NASA auto-x in Marina. They said they were coming back from outlet shopping but wanted to try an auto-x. I gave them the NASA website which is better than SCCA SF region events. Anyways, we gave each other the thumbs up and were on our way.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
I can often see 5 when looking out of the window.
Three are with 4-cylinders and one with 6, and about that touring i'm not fully sure, should sometime check closer when it's there.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Cic ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
I can often see 5 when looking out of the window.
Three are with 4-cylinders and one with 6, and about that touring i'm not fully sure, should sometime check closer when it's there.
Well, yeah, I can drive by the local indie BMW shop and see 6 or 8 at any given time. I imagine I could find an office park, school parking lot, or apartment complex with as many stationed there on a regular basis.

What was more fascinating to me was seeing 30-35 random e46 or older BMW's on the road in different parts of the city over the course of just a 2-hour drive. And the most notable part was spotting so many arguably rare ZHP's in one day. I have gone months at a time without seeing another one besides my own.