Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 12-21-2013, 05:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i
First misfires, now oil pressure light

I have a 2009 128i that I've owned since new with 87K miles that I have never had problems with until I got an MIL for misfires. I replaced the VANOS solenoids (with gaskets) as I've read that they're a common failure and installed new plugs since it's due anyway; The car continued to misfire. I let the car sit for about a week while I researched the issue and didn't want to continue driving it with the MIL on.

One night, I decided to take the car out to keep the battery charged as it was cold that night, the temp read 19 deg F when I got in the car. It started right away and as I was beginning to put it in gear I got a low oil pressure light. I immediately shut the engine down and then restarted and the light came back. I was fairly certain the level was good because I check it regularly, but with no dipstick I couldn't confirm.

I did some research and began thinking that there may be some water in the oil due to condensation since I work on a smoke free campus and we have to drive off property to smoke so there are a LOT of short trips. I decided to leave it alone until the weather got warmer to drain and refill the oil.

Last night it was in the mid fifties so I ran another test start and the light came back. When I drained the oil water came out; about a pint, maybe more. It was clear so I don't think it's coolant and when I took my glove off it wasn't slippery like coolant should be, the coolant was full and no oil present - again I was thinking condensation, but that would be a LOT of condensation. The oil drain went right to the top of a 7 Qt. pan, I put 6.5 quarts of Mobil 1 5w20 in it as I already had a case for my other car and this was just to see what it did with fresh oil. A test start still shows oil pressure warning.

Any ideas? I'm at the end of my rope with this.
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Which cylinders(s) are the codes indicating a misfire?
Is there any greasy residue in the coolant reservoir?
How did the old spark plugs look when you took them out? Any one(s) that had a different color and/or residue on the electrodes?

I would suggest getting a hold of a gauge to measure the oil pressure directly. Confirm it's within spec. If not, perhaps all that water in your coolant damaged the oil pump (just a WAG).
Old 12-21-2013, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 128i
The misfires started in Cyl 5, then as I drove it more they started on 1 as well. Checking with a cheap code reader, I could see misfires on all cylinders in the live data, and swapping coil packs didn't change anything. I did notice what I think is abnormal fuel trim on bank 1. I'm still getting used to using the live data so I'd need someone more experienced to look at it. The plugs looked normal no soot, or white deposits, they didn't look like they got too hot with a lean condition just light to medium brown with - normal wear. Since I didn't change the oil filter, I pulled the oil filter this morning after I posted to look at the oil in the housing and it was still dirty, which pretty much confirms that the oil pump, chain, or sprockets has failed somehow.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:06 PM
135i Munizaga

Mein Auto: 135i
hi

may be is too late, but did you check the intake valve?

Some times the valves get dirt with carbon dust, and make the valve "stick" in the intake. This can produce the missfire.

This is the link:

https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...Carbon-Buildup

You can do it at home, there is a couple of DIY. You will need some tools.

Bye