Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-21-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Help needed please

Hey guys and girls,
I have just bought an E92 335D 2006, accident damaged, it had a bump to the offside front, although it was only cat d it was worse than i thought.

Initially I was told it required no suspension components but on closer inspection it needed a strut and anti roll bar link for sure so i got on and replaced then mean while sorting out the body work.
I encountered a problem with it starting too, it started on a jump pack but not on its own but the battery was fine, so i traced that the the battery blow off lead, took apart the box ontop of the terminal and put it back together and plugged the CAN wire back in and it started first time. however the fault code wont erase so I am guessing i need a new battery blow off that sits on the positive terminal.

The drivers air bag had deployed and the seat belt safety pretensioner had also gone off, so i replaced them but the air bag light is also still on.

I collected the car on the Saturday and got a few yards up the road when all the other warning lights came on (abs, traction, tyre pressure etc.) so i pulled up, checked the tyres and thats when i noticed the hub had broken and so i replaced the hub (had a hairline crack and when i drove it, it put pressure on it and it cracked completely)

Now i have done that, had to 4 wheel aligned and all the warning lights are still on and it is now saying steering angle sensor which is a new one.

They tried to recalibrate it using a snap in diag machine but it isn't playing. it says successful but then comes straight back on saying offside wheel position not detected (i think).

Could all this stem from the battery blow off or when an air bag goes off does it generally effect the steering angle sensor too?

If any one has any ideas or previous experience please can you let me know.

Thanks
Danielle
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328XiT and R1200C
I know that steering angle sensor reset is required after a battery change. Turn the steering fully left then fully right to reset.

After that you have bigger problems which I would expect are wiring related. These cars are becoming rolling computers.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:34 AM

ok thanks i think he tried the left to right turn but i will ask
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1200 View Post
I know that steering angle sensor reset is required after a battery change. Turn the steering fully left then fully right to reset.

After that you have bigger problems which I would expect are wiring related. These cars are rolling computers.
Fixed it for you.
Old 12-22-2013, 02:03 AM

:s
Old 12-22-2013, 02:19 AM

Does anyone know if when the drivers air bag goes off it effects the steerinmg angle/squib?
Old 12-22-2013, 03:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonie View Post
Does anyone know if when the drivers air bag goes off it effects the steerinmg angle/squib?

Squib, battery blow off, cat d....these are terms we are unfamiliar with in the Colonies.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:22 AM

Thanks!