Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: E46 Sedan
My Progress Thread/First Post (Photo Heavy!)

Hey everyone. I have an account on E46Fanatics but im really getting fed up with all the judgmental people over there not supporting the younger community and I made an account here hoping for a different and better experience.
This is my first post and right off the bat i want to show everyone my baby! So ive had this car for three years and ive loved it so far! Im gonna skip all the talking and go strait to the pics. Enjoy!

Work Done:
DISA Replaced
New Fuel Filter and Pump
New Tranny Pan (it was badly bent), Filter, and Dexron 6 Fluid
Oil Changes Every 4k Miles (yes I know too early)
New NGK Spark Plugs
New Power Steering Filter (reservoir)
New Intake Boots
New Power Steering Pump
Water Pump
Upper Hose
Valve Cover Gasket
Oil Filter Housing Gasket
New Front Rotors and All Pads
Coolant Flush
New serpentine belt, ac belt, and pulleys
All Four Window Regulators Replaced (PO played with the windows alot apparently)
New Ambient Air Temp Sensors

So heres my baby when I first got her! Honestly it looked pretty bad to me, bumpers chipped to sh*t, NONE of the windows work, and the passenger window is missing. Oh and the headlights.... This will be a fun project.

photo 551732_3394569876525_332891289_ncopy.jpg

So the first thing I did was sand the headlights down and buff them, they still looked horrible but I was too busy to do it again.

photo IMG_5991-1.jpg

Next I sanded down the headlights again because they still looked so bad. I was at it for a solid hour going from 1000 grit to 2000 and finally 3000 and this time, they looked brand new. I got some halo lights off eBay for $60 which id pay $200 for if I had to. I also replaced all the window regulators, put in a new passenger window, and got new emblems for the hood and trunk.

photo IMG_1143.jpg

So I was looking at e46 pictures on the internet and I came across this

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/image...lestripes5.jpg

I really liked this and wanted to do it, but I looked at them and they're just stickers. I felt like they wouldn't last very long, so I did it my way. I headed to home depot and picked up three cans of spray paint, primer, and clear coat and did this.

photo IMG_3276-1.jpg
Heres it finished.

photo IMG_2448-1.jpg

(Excuse my disgustingly chipped bumper.)

photo IMG_2335-1.jpg

I know a lot of people don't like this because my cars a simple 325i not an M3 but IMHO it makes my car unique.

Next I got the windows tinted, I didn't want it too dark but not too light either, 25% all around, looks darker than it is in the garage.

photo IMG_1463-1.jpg

Next I installed some gauge rings, I gotta say they make the interior look 5+ years newer. (Check engine and brake bad lights are gone!!!)
Before:

photo IMG_0186-1.jpg

After:

photo IMG_2223.jpg

The next week I read someones diy on a homelink retrofit and I thought why not. I bought a used one off ebay for $40 and went to work.

photo IMG_2226.jpg

I had already bought brand new cooper all seasons for my stock 16's thinking I wouldn't get rims for a while due to the cost. I did however run into an e36 with some decent rims which were also 16s so I thought why not, so I swapped them. I know the rims arent very nice but honestly I hate the stock rims.

photo IMG_6023-1-1.jpg

photo IMG_1488-1.jpg

I had some extra money lying around so I decided I wanted to put in a dynavin, I found out that the dynavin was almost 1k so instead I bought the replica one on eBay for $500. Yeah I know eBay stuff is this and that but honestly I like it better than the dynavin and it looks and operates like it came with the car. I also got the climate control relocation kit which made the interior look even better because my old console was scratched up pretty bad.

photo IMG_2224.jpg

So a while back I saw a guy dye his door panels two tone black and imola, I fell in love with it but dyeing the leather seemed like too much work for me. So after some research, I decided id give duplicolor vinyl and fabric a try. Im still pissed at myself for not taking pictures of the process but this is how it turned out. (The red looks really bright because of the flash because I cant use a camera to save my life, but it really looks close to imola)

photo DSC04912.jpg

I also put in some new shift boots with m stitching!

photo IMG_1710.jpg

I also installed some new led tail lights but didnt get a picture. We all know what they look like.

Next came the part I was waiting for the most, a mtech 2 bumper!
this was an exciting day!
Before:

photo IMG_1901.jpg
 photo IMG_1900.jpg

After:

photo IMG_1904-1.jpg

I didn't really do anything for a while except maintenance for a few weeks. Things like new spark plugs, valve cover gasket, hooked up my new bumpers fogs, put in new 6000k bulbs, and polished her with turtle wax black box kit (great stuff!)

So I had seen a picture of a guy that had some red on his engine cover and intake etc and I thought id do it too. Heres how it looked when I thought I was done with it:

photo IMG_2084.jpg

It looked like it was missing something so I added a few things to tie it all together.

photo IMG_2104.jpg

I also found a K&N CAI for a really good deal brand new that I couldn't pass up, so that finished up the engine bay.

photo DSC04909.jpg

I love the sound the CAI gives the car, it gives it that extra noise to draw some heads. And honestly I feel no power gain but its not for someone whos looking for power. I wanted it for the sound.

I also decided to paint my dirty old calipers red. Which really made the wheels stand out a bit.

photo IMG_1786.jpg
 photo IMG_1787.jpg

So heres how my baby looked for a while. I took a break from modding for a while and focused on maintenance again.

photo pic.jpg

So after a few months i decided i wanted to plastidip my rims black. After much thought i decided these rims were ugly and small so i picked up four 18" MSR's with decent tires for $500. They were pretty scratched up when i got them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

So I decided to give them a new paint job with duplicolor rim paint.

Next I ordered a custom euro plate off ebay for $60 with a frame. I love this thing!

I replaced all my emblems with black and white carbon fiber ones. I dont have pics of the hood or trunk but heres the steering wheel. Sorry the pictures turned sideways, i have no idea why.

Next I got my hood repainted due to all the chips. I also put on new grills since the clips on the old ones broke and were basically falling out. This time i didnt do the stripes.

I wanted to make my car pop so i decided to plastidip my wheels red. It matches the interior and engine bay and i actually LOVE this look. A few days later we did a photo shoot with some friends.

Heres me and my friend with his MK6 GTi. I gave him the idea for the plate

And a few more pics...

Thats it so far, more to come though. Feel free to leave comments, ask questions, etc._a_
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2013, 07:42 PM

Much more to come!

Last edited by TheColdE46; 01-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:24 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan

Welcome to Bimmerfest. The e46 guys and gals here are the best there are, period. You'll find we are a more mature and experienced group.

I love the project. Slowly improving a car in a way the normal guy can afford is neat to see. Some of your mods aren't my taste, but I admire anyone who takes a car and makes it their own. That is the best part of modding. I also like to see people do things "out of the box".

We'll done, I hope you stick around. We are a tight knit group, and welcome newcomers!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Welcome to the 'Fest! I've learned quite a bit from these guys and, although I no longer have an E46, I still hang around just for the conversation.

A quick bit of advice: any time they give you some advice and it's something you don't want to hear, don't get upset. There are always guys coming in here saying, "Which wheels look best?" only to be answered with, "Are you up to date on maintenance?" Then they go off on a (rather uncalled for) tirade about how they just wanted an answer to their question and "didn't want a stupid opinion". 48 hours later, they make a new thread. "There's a weird knocking sound my car is shuddering! HELP!" Oh. NOW you want our help.

What I'm getting at is that these guys know their stuff. Keep an open ear and an open mind and your car will last you for a long while.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Welcome! and second ^ what he said

03' 325i ZSP ZPP
Old 12-23-2013, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
Re: My Progress Thread/First Post (Photo Heavy!)

Beautiful car!! Welcome!

2014 WORLD CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

TIAG 328I ZPP

DIYs: Vanos Oil line, Water Pump w/ Pulley, Radiator Hoses, Valve Cover Gasket, Belts, FSU/FSR, Rear Wheel Bearings, Sway Bar Links, NGK BKR6EQUP Spark Plugs, M1 0W-40 oil changes
Old 12-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Great looking car! It's nice to see someone take pride in ownership.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 05 325xi 5 speed
looks nice. Gave me a few tips. I wish you lived close to me haha!
hey where did you order the rings from ?

Last edited by scooter123; 12-29-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-28-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 00' Imola Red 528i Sport
Not a fan of the red wheels, but love the interior.

I have intentions of taking all of my wood grain off and painting it imola red (my car is imola) and I love those cluster trim rings
Old 12-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 320Ci
Welcome! Not my taste, but the most important critic is you so good job! Where did you get the gauge rings?
Old 12-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Well, you certainly don't lack for energy! Admire the way you go after one thing after another.

I like to keep my car as close to stock looking as possible, but went thru a phase like you're doing decades ago. It's all good.

Do check out all the mechanical things you should do to get your car bullet proof mechanically.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:05 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT

Not a fan of the wheels, but everything else looks real good. I really liked the stripes on the grill. Hmmm...

Also, it's nice to see that you're paying attention to the maintenance items. You'll have this car until you're bored with it. Keep up the good work.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 05 325xi 5 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoForthFast View Post
Well, you certainly don't lack for energy! Admire the way you go after one thing after another.

I like to keep my car as close to stock looking as possible, but went thru a phase like you're doing decades ago. It's all good.

Do check out all the mechanical things you should do to get your car bullet proof mechanically.
Is there a list somewhere for that or a link?
I'm getting an 05 325xi stick with 150k next week.

It had it front shocks and gasket done recently and a tune up at BMW last march.

TY so much
Old 01-12-2014, 09:21 PM

Update: its been a long time since ive gone on any forums, its been a busy few months. Some updates,
My armrest had some cracks in the leather so i decided to replace it and match it with my shift boot.

I also ordered this yesterday. http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...unk/ES2215393/
Im super excited for it to get here. Anyways, thanks guys for the nice comments, i actually really like this forum even though i have 3 posts
More to come!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:55 PM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Welcome to the forum... I loved the way you are taking care of your baby... I love it...

I got one suggestion and one question:

Suggestion: I think your car would look much better with clear turn indicators. Think about it...

Question: Could you briefly tell me what that dynavin could do other than playing CD? I have wanted something like that for a long time...
Old 01-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Welcome to the forum... I loved the way you are taking care of your baby... I love it...

I got one suggestion and one question:

Suggestion: I think your car would look much better with clear turn indicators. Think about it...

Question: Could you briefly tell me what that dynavin could do other than playing CD? I have wanted something like that for a long time...
I honestly have been thinking of getting those for months but i just never did. maybe next on my list?

As far as the dynavin, it plays cds, dvds, it has navigation, bluetooth phone and music, ipod cable (charges as well), multiple usb ports (say you have music on a thumb drive), it has radio, a video input and output, a sub output, input for a backup camera, and much more that im forgetting. It was one of the best purchases ive ever made for the car. Id definitely recommend it.

Last edited by TheColdE46; 01-12-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:50 AM
Coupe OR Never

Mein Auto: '02 - 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheColdE46 View Post
I honestly have been thinking of getting those for months but i just never did. maybe next on my list?

As far as the dynavin, it plays cds, dvds, it has navigation, bluetooth phone and music, ipod cable (charges as well), multiple usb ports (say you have music on a thumb drive), it has radio, a video input and output, a sub output, input for a backup camera, and much more that im forgetting. It was one of the best purchases ive ever made for the car. Id definitely recommend it.
Thanks. Seems provides more functions than original BMW at a lower price.
Do you know if it has its own memory? Like if you want to transfer MP3s from your thumb-drive...
Old 01-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iskoos View Post
Thanks. Seems provides more functions than original BMW at a lower price.
Do you know if it has its own memory? Like if you want to transfer MP3s from your thumb-drive...
Hmm... I honestly dont know. I dont think it does. It does have an ad slot though for one on those micro sd cards.

Carbon Fiber CSL Trunk Lid | Mtech II Front Bumper | K&N CAI | JL Audio 10" Sub | Smoked Led Tails | Eonon Head Unit | M Stitched Boots and Armrest | Led Angel Eyes | Carbon Fiber Emblems | 27% Tint All Around
Old 04-17-2014, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
The bimmer looks sick man. I'm a new owner of a 2000 323i and it needs some work. I'm thrilled to see that you've been able to do what you've done to your Beamer and I'm looking forward to posting and showing my Beamer soon. Where'd you get the dash replacement from

Old 04-17-2014, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
im liking the progress so far! how about some smokes corners, eh?
Old 04-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
OP, how`s your ticket quota been recently ?
I would think that those "Arrest Me Red" wheels might get you pulled over quicker than a trunk full of heroin...

Nice job on the personalization.... IMHO, losing those grille stripes was a good thing !

Now I`m thinking that a CSL trunk lid would enhance the back of the car....combined with a 1 1/2 or 2-inch drop, you would have a seriously badddd-ass ride !

Keep up the good work !

Got a theme song for ya

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-17-2014, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 97 528i
Love the mods except the red wheels but to each their own

Looks great.