Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE

BMW i3 / i8 / ActiveE
Are you excited about the upcoming BMW i3 or i8? Interested in learning more about the BMW ActiveE? This is the place for you!

Old 12-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Finally more REx details including why America's is a little gimped...

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2013/12/bm...bust-will.html

Basically by doing it this way US i3s with REx will still get every single benefit of 0 emissions ratings (permanent white carpool stickers in California, for example--instead of the Volt's green ones that will phase out one day like the Prius's yellow ones already have) and BMW gets the emissions credit of a 0 emissions vehicle as well.

So sounding a little better. Still want to understand the logistics of a LA -> Las Vegas trip before I seriously consider buying...

Last edited by TheCritic; 12-23-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-23-2013, 10:51 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
I wouldn't recommend taking an i3 from LA to Las Vegas. Climbing Cajon Peak at 70 mph will flatten the battery. After that you will be looking for fuel every 40 to 50 miles. We've driven an i3 at 70-75 mph on a surface not that different than a typical California freeway. The ride was busy and unpleasant.

Either keep your X3 for long trips, rent something or fly there. Southwest has a dozen flights a day.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-23-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
There's also the BMW loaner program for electrics...

Still I'd probably try it at least once. I'd figure on recharging for a bit at the outlet mall in Barstow. But the gas range is so damn low it's ridiculous--especially since (in America) you won't have any battery reserve if you run it dry.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:51 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
What are the details of the US rental program?

The UK one is 40 per month + 20 per year. That works out to 500 per year. 500 a year gets 7 days in a one series. 7 days rental in a 3 series is available for a 78 premium. The rental company gets to choose which 1er or 3er. I'd guess a 116i SE and 318i SE but customers could end up paying all that money for a 114i ES or a 316i ES.

The base program is far to expensive for the cars offered. I could do much better renting elsewhere. The 5 series and X3 might be a better deal. I haven't worked out the points to pounds conversions for them.

http://bmwelectricpackages.atosb2b.c...ces-bmw-access

====

The program offered by Nissan GB to Leaf owners is 14 days per year at 5 per day. The fee is payable at the time of rental and not in advance like BMW. The car will be a Nissan Note or above. In practice that probably means a Note or a Qashi. They won't give you a Micra unless specifically requested.
http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/...&Cs_091213.pdf
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 12-26-2013 at 01:37 AM.