Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-24-2013, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 M5, 08 535xit
08 N54 - Sudden loss of power, stalling, then symptoms dissapeared - advice?

Hi all,

I'm cross-posting this from the e60 forum since it appears to be an N54 problem and this forum gets a lot of attention.

While driving home on Christmas Eve in my 08 535xit with 95k miles and 6-speed auto, I was accelerating in D mode at about 2500-3000 rpms with MODERATE throttle. I was trying to get the car to downshift and gave it a bit more gas, it did not downshift. I gave it a bit more and all the sudden my power evaporated - felt like the throttle was receiving no input and I felt like I was coasting/decelerating.

Simultaneously got the engine malfunction/reduced power light.

The power loss was so dramatic and the inability to accelerate so pronounced, I pulled over immediately.

Upon pulling over, the car stalled out immediately.

I proceeded to re-start the car 3x and each time the car idled roughly for maybe 2-3 seconds before stalling again.

I decided to inspect under the hood - maybe a TB hose blew off or something. Everything looked fine upon visual inspection.

Got back in the car, fired her up one more time, and this time it started fine, idled fine, no engine malfunction messages.

I drove home another 30-35 miles without a single problem.

As we're going into Christmas and I need reliable transportation, can anyone advise what these symptoms sound like? Here's the history of the vehicle as I know it that might be at all relevant:

1. 4th HPFP, last one replaced in ~2011.
2. New turbos 2 months/2500 miles ago
3. One previous blown hose from the BCS resulted in a similar loss of power and engine malfunction, but there power was still present - just reduced. And it never stalled.

Advice welcome? Likely to be safe to drive?

Joe
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: E39 540
Re: 08 N54 - Sudden loss of power, stalling, then symptoms dissapeared - advice?

Without knowing the fault codes, anything is a guess. And an uneducated one at that. Could be a vanos solenoid, a failing injector, or two, failed high pressure pump, low pressure pump, etc. You get the idea. Take it to someone competent that can read the codes. And I don't mean autozone with a generic obd scanner...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-24-2013, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
Likely to be safe to drive?

Very difficult to say.

CODES?
Old 12-26-2013, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: 99 328i
Never had that problem with my N54, but I had the same symptoms in an e46 with the 328 motor. I got a code reader and found a fault in the intake cam sensor. I replaced the sensor, cleared the code and the problem went away. It was an intermittent problem that occurred for several weeks. That told me it was an electrical problem. Although many BMW codes are proprietary, EPA forced them to publish codes and definitions for emission related faults. So any cheap code reader should give you a fault for something like this and then you can do a look up on the code to see what part is throwing the code.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan
When that happened to me at 71000 mi, it was the water pump going out.