Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-04-2002, 02:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Lightbulb HK fix described by dealer........velcro

Well, I went to the dealer today and asked the service guy how they fixed my HK rattle. He said that they insulated the box and put velcro down to keep the rear deck from moving. I'm not sure where they put the velcro. They might have put it between the rear deck and the plastic piece that goes along the window. They might have put it inside the rear deck. I don't know. I will have to do some investigating. I did notice that my rear deck does not move as much as it used to. I have never heard of using velcro. It seems like a really easy fix. My bass sounds really good and I can pump up the bass without a problem.

-SilverBmw

Just saw the same description on Bimmer.org. I did not see that before i wrote this..... Wierd that we post it at the same time....

Last edited by SilverBmw; 01-04-2002 at 03:01 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 01-04-2002, 02:59 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
My amp and sub are being replaced on monday
Old 01-04-2002, 03:02 PM

When i went in the dealer had ordered a new amp for me, but they said that replacing the amp never fixed the rattle. They ended up never touching my amp. i dont think that will do it.

-SilverBmw
Old 01-04-2002, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto:
It seems like a lot of people have been having this same problem, why hasn't bmw realized this? I've been hearing stories like this for 3 months. I got my car 31st of november and I get the rattle. It seems like it comes from the tweeters near the door handle and from the rear?! How long does it take to fix? Did your dealer give you any heck about the problem?

thanks
Old 01-04-2002, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It seems like it comes from the tweeters near the door handle and from the rear?! How long does it take to fix? Did your dealer give you any heck about the problem?
Well, It seems like to me that you have two different rattles. One in the door panel and the other with the HK. The HK rattle has been around for a really long time. I dont think the fix takes too long. Since i had been reading the boards for a quite awhile now (2 years), i already knew what worked and what didnt. I know that there are two service bulletins for the HK. One involves replacing the amp, and the other using velcro and insulation. Replacing the amp will not fix anything. Since the rattle is coming from the rear deck not the amp. I am guessing that the velcro was placed between the rear deck and the plastic piece along the window to keep the rear deck from moving.

-SilverBmw
Old 01-04-2002, 03:39 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

Mein Auto: 2013 328i convertible
Mine was fixed also thank god, BMW rep came to do my work. Totally removed front door panels and put thick foam all inside, and around the edges of the entire panel he put felt. The rear deck has big chunks of thick foam, removed the black cheap vented plastic strip below back glass inside, covered all underneath with felt. Removed the HK thing itself from trunk and put hard foam spacers where it bolts to body. Replaced my amp, replaced my deck (cd's sticking) now all is fixed like it should have been since day one. Funny thing is, he told me the NEW BMWs are still not being fixed when built, it might cost more money and time, go figure..
Old 01-04-2002, 03:45 PM
Grumpy and Cynical

Send a message via MSN to ed325i Send a message via Yahoo to ed325i
Mein Auto: 328Xi
Velcro sounds like a neat and simple solution. Would you post some pic's of the velcro placement? Thanks.

Ed

Last edited by ed325i; 01-04-2002 at 04:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:12 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

I think it's thick felt, thats what they use. Are you sure it's not felt and the guy just said velcro? He showed me the felt, its sticks on one side and fuzzy on the other
Old 01-04-2002, 04:30 PM

I was told specifically that it was "velcro." CC i think yours was an experimental HK fix, since a BMW field tech had to come fix it. They probably just simplified it, by using velcro. I can not see the velcro on mine.
Old 01-04-2002, 04:44 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

LEt me clarify that, I can't see felt sticking out anywhere, that would be horrible looking. This fix was the nationwide TSB issued, not experimental. He told me BMW NA had been using this for a while now once they figured out it worked. Then a TSB was issued, I assume some use velcro some use felt. BMWNA field techs only use felt, the dealer I went to had never fixed this problem before. So they sent the big boys in.haha, he was very nice. I know that stuff was very thick and fuzzy, and boy did it make a difference... (fixed two weeks now and still holding strong)
Old 01-04-2002, 04:53 PM

Well it doesn't matter what is used it works. Ahhh...come on CC turn up the bass! Sounds brand new doesn't it. I'm glad that your dealership was nice enough to request a field tech to fix all your problems. I have the door rattle too......Gotta get that fixed, but i can live with it. I noticed that if i push on the panel above the arm rest the rattle stops.

-SilverBmw
Old 01-04-2002, 05:00 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

YES IT WORKS Silver, I love it! I can't believe you said that! My doors did the exact same thing. He removed the entire panel, loaded it with foam and padding THICK. Also put it around the speakers, the speakers sit right on a screw that hold the thing on, which is stupid. Once they tightened all that up, all around where the panel makes contact with the painted door, he put felt all around the edges. Sounds great now! (PS, it wasn't the dealer who called the rep to come, BMWNA said the rep will fix it, not the dealer. Or I should say they worked together)
Old 01-04-2002, 05:17 PM

Cool

Finally I can go buy some CD's with some bass! wooohooo!

-SilverBmw
Old 01-04-2002, 05:40 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

here ya go:
Old 01-04-2002, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
Sounds like I need to purchase some velcro and just fix it myself.
Unless BMW NA will send a Field Tech to do it.
Old 01-04-2002, 07:12 PM
Formerly CCs328Ci

They did for me when I called BMWNA and said my HK sounded like **** and could not believe they could say NO fix and Cd's not eject. So, after that, its all history
Old 01-04-2002, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: '88 M3, '01 Z3, '06 330i
I have asked my dealer repeatedly if there is a fix out yet and the tell me "No" everytime. Hmm...... maybe I need to call BMW NA.
Old 01-05-2002, 01:15 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Sean
I have asked my dealer repeatedly if there is a fix out yet and the tell me "No" everytime. Hmm...... maybe I need to call BMW NA.
They have to look harder. It is there. The TSB was put in recentley. BMWNA gennerally doesnt know that there is a TSB for a fix. It slowely trickles down to them. They have always told me that my dealer would know before they would.

-SilverBmw
Old 01-05-2002, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Does the HK rattle mainly manifest itself on Coupes? I've got a 330i SE Saloon (UK) on the way in february and i'm wondering if I need to prepare to do an HK fix myself.

Could someone post the text of the TSB please? Thanks.
Old 01-05-2002, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by evilfactoryowne
It seems like a lot of people have been having this same problem, why hasn't bmw realized this? I've been hearing stories like this for 3 months. I got my car 31st of november and I get the rattle. It seems like it comes from the tweeters near the door handle and from the rear?! How long does it take to fix? Did your dealer give you any heck about the problem?

thanks
Got your car on 11/31? Very interesting....