Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-30-2013, 02:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bmw335ic
Mein Auto: bmw 335i convertible
335i convertible N54 quarter window gap

Hi,

A rock (probably launched from a grass trimmer, hard to prove, no video or witness) hit my passenger side quarter window and cracked it. I had an independent shop to replace and they subcontracted it out to another shop to tint it. Replacement is BMW glass. The tint shop actually had to do it twice after they messed up the first time. So, I inspected it carefully when it was done.

After a month or so, I notice a small gap at the top of the passenger window and the quarter window. The quarter window is not lining up properly. If I give it a pull and push, the gap is almost gone but I can tell the window is not line up because of the black weather stripping is wider at the bottom and narrower at the top. And the quarter window push the top up a little. On the driver side, it was about equal top and bottom and did not push the top.

Does anyone know of a link or video on adjusting the quarter window or how to take it apart? I had googled and I couldn't find much helpful information. I want to see if I can do it myself before spending time to negotiate with the shop or ask a dealer to repair such minor thing. The gap is not making noise but it may leak water if I go to a car wash or it rains.

Thanks!

Last edited by bmw335ic; 12-30-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
well I have searched the Bentley service manual and there is no mention on replacing nor adjusting the rear window, it does talk about the door windows.
I guess Bentley doesnt think those windows break or need adjusting. If you are ambitious you can pull the interior panel out and see if you can adjust it yourself. My guess is there is some cheap plastic thing holding the window in and they broke it getting the window out and instead of getting a new part they just put it back together.

and dont even think about replacing those rubber sealing gaskets on the convertible top panels, there is NOTHING on it in the manual either,
good luck,
Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 AM
N55 Powered

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335ic View Post
Does anyone know of a link or video on adjusting the quarter window or how to take it apart?
It's possible the window isn't closing fully due to a non-hardware issue. Try reinitializing the window to see if it doesn't correct the problem, using this procedure posted on various forums:
_____

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
Initialization with engine running
Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
Erasure of initialization
Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:
In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
After the power window drive has been replaced
After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
After adjustment work on the door window glass
After adjustment work on the convertible top
After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:
Open door window glass fully
Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
_____

Cheers.

Last edited by Verts4Ever; 12-31-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to bmw335ic
Mein Auto: bmw 335i convertible
Happy New Year!

Thanks guys for posting your suggestions. I tried the re-initialization sequence. It did not help much. I think hondo402000 may be right. Something is off because the window is actually tilted every so slightly. It could be the mounting is not proper or it came off after a month.

I guess I will need to look for a thread or video on how to open the panel below the quarter window or take it back to the dealer.

Thanks!