Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335i
Radio Problem

2008 335i HK radio / No Nav

I am having a problem with the audio system in this car. The audio system seems to loose power intermittently. The display goes out. The power will come on and off until I'm about 25min. into my commuter trip. It started when the weather turned colder (NYC area). I don't know if this is a coincidence. The problem occurs whether the car has been parked in the garage or outside. The SOS power is affected as well.
Ads by Google
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i convertible '08
I have an E93 in hot Texas and I lose the radio for an hour or so every few months. Dealer sez replace radio for $650. I sez buy one on Ebay or our classifieds but dealer sez it can't be coded to my car.Damn.
Mikey
Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
If its a pro radio it can be coded.

If its a pro radio it can be coded.
Almost anything can be coded in the car with a coding
setup but BMW won't do anything that is not on the menu.
see coding boards.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=368
Also have you checked you battery voltage .
These cars do really weird things when the battery is low or bad.
I would check your static battery voltage in the morning and your charging
voltage to make sure those are Ok.
Then if you still need a radio see if you can get local coder to code another
radio in if necessary. If it comes from a car with the same options it won't
need coding.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-02-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335i
Thanks CTUNA,

It is the original battery; I will check the voltages.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
Don't know if this would apply to you, but I have a 2007 335i with nav and my car has a lemon title because BMW couldn't figure out what was wrong with the radio and after the third time trying to fix it they wrote it off as a lemon. Well thats what I was told when I bought it I'm not sure what the radio was doing for it to go in, but when I got the car the radio has worked fine and never given me any troubles this far. So it might just be a common problem with these cars.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
My car has had several radios. Pretty much the entire spectrum of E9x radio problems from loud popping from the speakers to a completely dead radio.

My best failure to date was driving back from Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago and I was telling my daughter -- who is a saner person who drives a Honda Accord -- that BMWs are a lot of fun to drive and "really not all that unreliable" (she was having trouble stopping herself from laughing!) when deus ex machina, the BMW poltergeists intervened, the radio quit, half the radio display went blank, and the other half showed machine gibberish.

So several radios. And software updates. After the battery cable recall, the poltergeists went back to sleep for a while, but finally awoke and the radio quit completely, finally allowing a correct diagnosis. It was found to be the stereo amplifier. The part was back-ordered for about a month, as I recall, so I wasn't alone.

My BMW dealer has been very good with all this. It was all covered under the original warranty (no deductable) since I had been complaining for several years. The radio has been fine since the amp was replaced.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when you pry it from my cold dead hand!"